How do I insert an unusual character?

  • nullclip
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14 3:35 PM

      I noticed that the 'Underline title' clip in the Utilities library that comes with NTP uses the extended ASCII code 196 as an underline character.  This ANSI character is not on a standard keyboard.  Few if any are.

      How can I input this or any extended ASCII code or character into my NTP documents?

      Message 2 of 6 , May 14 3:52 PM
        "nullclip@... [ntb-clips]" wrote:
        > How can I input this or any extended ASCII code or character into my NTP
        > documents?

        You're spoilt for choice. First there is the standard <Alt>(<Num 0><Num
        1><Num 9><Num 6>).
        Then there's autorun-clips and something like __ uu or anything or your
        choice. Third there's <Esc> with a non-autorun clip. And fourth there's
        clipbar and mouse.

        Unfortunately a fifth option is NOT there, Notetab does not allow defining
        Key cobinations like <Ctrl><-> freely.

        N.B: Are you sure about 196, not 95? With me 196 is "Ä".

        Axel
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14 3:54 PM

          Extended ANSI characters can be entered by holding down the alt key and typing in the correct code for the character, which can be found with Google. Laptops may only work with one of the alt keys, and the numlock key can interfere. You can use BabelMap to find the code for any character. The degree symbol is alt-176. Make sure it's Windows ANSI, not IBM, which is different.

          RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/recipetools/

          I noticed that the 'Underline title' clip in the Utilities library that comes with NTP uses the extended ASCII code 196 as an underline character.  This ANSI character is not on a standard keyboard.  Few if any are.

          How can I input this or any extended ASCII code or character into my NTP documents?

        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14 7:23 PM
            ---In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, <nullclip@...> wrote :

            > How can I input this or any extended ASCII code or character into
            > my NTP documents?

            You probably look for a specific feature for this in NT. Sorry, there is none.

            Some more ideas added to Axel's list...

            #6: Type '196', select it, and run '^$DecToChar(^&)$' on that selection.

            #7: Use a Clip Library like...

            http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/ascii.zip

            If placed onto a clipbar, you can use that CLB while any other clipbook is active.

            #8 Use the Windows Charmap with...

            ^!Charmap.exe

            Copy a selected character to the clipboard and insert it with 'Ctrl+V'.

            #9: Here's a clip for inserting any printable character from ANSI 128 through 255:

            ^!Set %Dec%=128

            :Loop
            ^!IfMatch "129|141|143|144|157" "^%Dec%" Skip_2
            ^!Set %Char%=^%Dec%^%Space%^$DecToChar(^%Dec%)$
            ^!Append %List%=^%Char%|
            ^!Inc %Dec%
            ^!If ^%Dec% < 256 Loop
            ^!SetWizardWidth 53
            ^!Set %Select%=^?{(T=L;H=120)Choose==^%List%}
            ^!IfCancel Skip_2
            ^!Set %Select%=^$StrReplace("^\d+\x20";"";"^%Select%";R)$
            ^!InsertText ^%Select%
            ^!ClearVariables

            (Needs NT v7.1). You may reduce it to the range of characters you really need.

            Regards,
            Flo

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14 7:41 PM

              Good stuff. Here is my symbol wizard:

              ^!IfFalse ^$IsAltKeyDown$ RUN

              ^!Info [L]This command permits you to select a symbol from a list and place it where your cursor is.

              ^!GOTO EXIT

              :RUN

              ;==

              ^!SetWizardLabel "Select one character. It will replace a selected character, or insert the selected character if none is selected."

              ^!SetWizardTitle "Insert Special Character"

              ^!SetWizardWidth 200

              ^!InsertText "^?{(T=L;H=50)Select a character.==©|®|™|_°|À|Á|Â|Ä|à|á|â|ä|Ç|ç|È|É|Ê|Ë|é|è|ê|ë|Ì|Ï|Î|Ì|Ñ|ñ|Ó|Ò|Ô|Ö|ó|ò|ô|ö|Û|Ú|Ù|Ü|û|ú|ù|ü}"

              #6: Type '196', select it, and run '^$DecToChar(^&)$' on that selection.

              #7: Use a Clip Library like...

              #8 Use the Windows Charmap with...

              ^!Charmap.exe

              Copy a selected character to the clipboard and insert it with 'Ctrl+V'.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 24 6:41 AM
                Many thanks John, Flo, and Axel.  Your ideas are more than I imagined were possible.

                My end goal is to create a printable character-based box with no, one, some, or all sides missing.  I plan to use these boxes to create a maze game just for fun.  I fear that I may need to create a true-type font, or find an existing text font with box production extended characters.  Any ideas?