Why don't variables work correctly in Find dialog?

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014

      I have a variable named %Units%. It has been unchanged for months, so a recent edit didn't break anything.

      I use that variable dozens of times in my clips, and it works properly when identified as (^%Units%) in the clips.

      When I try to find (^%Units%) using the find dialog, it does not find anything, although there are numerous candidates for it to find.

      If I make a clip with only (^%Units%) in the clip, it produces the full list of the words contained in the variable when activated, so it does contain the correct words.

      To summarize, it appears to know what words to look for, but it can't find them in text ONLY when used in the find dialog. When used in a clip, all works as expected. Clearly, you can't test clips manually, if it refuses to utilize the variable in the find dialog. If I replace the variable with one of the words IN the variable, it works as expected. Yes, the find dialog is set for regex, although I tried it with standard, wildcards and regex and none of them worked. (as a test to see if resetting it would help.) This is not the first time I have encountered this problem, it is just the first time I have mentioned it. Other times, it does work.

      Closing NoteTab and restarting it does not help.

      This is what is contained in ^%Units%:

      bags?\b|balls?\b|bars?\b|bspoons?\b|barspoons?\b|baskets?\b|batchs?\b|blocks?\b|bottles?\b|bowls?\b|boxs?\b|bricks?\b|bulbs?\b|bunchs?\b|bushels?\b|cakes?\b|cans?\b|cartons?\b|chunks?\b|cloves?\b|clusters?\b|crocks?\b|containers?\b|ctnrs?\b|cubes?\b|cups?\b|cpfulls?\b|cupfulls?\b|dashs?\b|degrees?\b|dspoons?\b|dessertspoons?\b|dips?\b|disks?\b|dozens?\b|dollops?\b|drops?\b|drypints?\b|ears?\b|envelopes?\b|fifths?\b|fillets?\b|fingers?\b|fistfuls?\b|flats?\b|fluid ounces?\b|flozs?\b|fts?\b|foots?\b|gallons?\b|gills?\b|glasss?\b|grains?\b|grinds?\b|handfuls?\b|heads?\b|hours?\b|inchs?\b|jars?\b|jiggers?\b|knobs?\b|layers?\b|lbs?\b|leafs?\b|leaves?\b|links?\b|liters?\b|loafs?\b|logs?\b|pounds?\b|magnums?\b|measures?\b|minutes?\b|mickeys?\b|ounces?\b|ozs?\b|packages?\b|packs?\b|packets?\b|pkgs?\b|pkts?\b|pans?\b|parts?\b|pats?\b|pecks?\b|pieces?\b|pinchs?\b|pints?\b|pods?\b|ponys?\b|pouchs?\b|punnets?\b|qtrs?\b|quarts?\b|racks?\b|rashers?\b|recipes?\b|ribs?\b|rings?\b|rounds?\b|scoops?\b|sections?\b|servings?\b|shakes?\b|sheets?\b|shots?\b|sippets?\b|slabs?\b|sleeves?\b|slices?\b|slivers?\b|smidgens?\b|splashs?\b|splits?\b|spoonfuls?\b|sprigs?\b|sprinkles?\b|squares?\b|stalks?\b|sticks?\b|strips?\b|tablespoonfuls?\b|tads?\b|tb?sps?\b|tablespoons?\b|teaspoonfuls?\b|thumbs?\b|tins?\b|trays?\b|teaspoons?\b|tubs?\b|toobes?\b|twists?\b|wedges?\b|wheels?\b|wineglasss?\b|wrappers?\b

      Several of those terms appear in the text I'm testing against. And remember, it works when running a clip using the variable, just NOT when used in the find dialog.

      By the way, I do have a single clip that forces NoteTab to 'refresh' all those variables. It first empties each one, then reloads it, and that has no affect on this problem.

      A somewhat different, but regular problem  I am having with the find dialog is that, sometimes, there is no history in the find dialog, other times there is. The little drop down arrow does not appear at times, most of the time it does. My find dialog is ALWAYS full to the max, as I have many terms stored there, such as GoTo Exit, which I use constantly when troubleshooting. But the remembered finds simply disappear sometimes. I have been unable to find a way to make it repeat. I just type in the term and it finds it, so it IS functional, it just loses track of remembered finds.

      As soon as I finish this post, I will reboot the computer to see if that helps, but I don't think it will, and besides, both of these problems happen from time to time, with boots between them. So even if booting fixes it this time, it will repeat.

      Lastly, I use a lot of variables, which can use a lot of memory. Is there an upper limit to how much can be stored in memory by NoteTab?

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014

        Update:

        Rebooting did not help. Setting the variable to just one word 'cups' does not work either. The find dialog still won't find it.

        2 cups Refried Black Beans

        RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/recipetools/

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014
          > John Shotsky wrote:
          > When I try to find (^%Units%) using the find dialog, it does not find
          > anything, although there are numerous candidates for it to find.

          When editing a clip, I often look for stuff like "^%Units%" or other
          variable names. So what is find to do? I doubt the Clip ^!Find evaluates
          variables, though some text functions do.

          Axel
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014

            The clip find/replace works fine with variables. So, this works:

            ^!Find "^%Testing%" rs

            It finds whatever word is assigned to %Testing%.

            But, if you copy ^%Testing% to the Find dialog, it does not work.

            Adding escape characters, parens, double quotes and the like does not work - it just seems that the Find dialog will not evaluate the variable. I was hoping there was a way to make it work properly, but apparently not.

            RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/recipetools/

            > When I try to find (^%Units%) using the find dialog, it does not find
            > anything, although there are numerous candidates for it to find.

            When editing a clip, I often look for stuff like "^%Units%" or other
            variable names. So what is find to do? I doubt the Clip ^!Find evaluates
            variables, though some text functions do.

            Axel

          • flo.gehrke
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014
              ---In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, <jshotsky@...> wrote :

              > When I try to find (^%Units%) using the find dialog, it does
              > not find anything, although there are numerous candidates for
              > it to find.

              There's a basic difference between the menu command Find and clip execution. That dialog will never evaluate variables or functions.

              > A somewhat different, but regular problem  I am having with the
              > find dialog is that, sometimes, there is no history in the find
              > dialog, other times there is.

              You already mentioned that issue with "Missing Find and Search history dropdowns", Basic Group, Sep 20, 2011, message #22233. And you confirmed that this happens when searching Unicode files.

              Regarding this problem, Eric once told me: "It's not a bug. Unfortunately the
              drop-down list is not designed to store Unicode text, which is why it
              isn't displayed in this situation." (Eric Fookes, Apr 25, 2012).

              Regards,
              Flo

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014

                So apparently, when you open a Unicode page, convert it to ANSI, and SAVE ANSI, it is still Unicode. That would explain it.