Keyboard commands

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 17, 2014

      Are there built in commands that work the same as the Home and End keys? (I did read through the help, but didn't find those.) If not, how do I assign these actions to key combinations? I know I can use the Wordstar mode to get that functionality, but I don't need much, just the home and end key emulation.  I use line wrap, and I want the cursor to go to the end of the displayed line, not the end of the paragraph. I did read about shortcuts.dat, but that is menu items, not keyboard items.

    • loro
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2014
        John Shotsky wrote:
        >Are there built in commands that work the same as the Home and End
        >keys? (I did read through the help, but didn't find those.) If not,
        >how do I assign these actions to key combinations? I know I can use
        >the Wordstar mode to get that functionality, but I don't need much,
        >just the home and end key emulation. I use line wrap, and I want
        >the cursor to go to the end of the displayed line, not the end of
        >the paragraph. I did read about shortcuts.dat, but that is menu
        >items, not keyboard items.

        Don't think so. I always do combinations with ^!Select line. For example:

        ^!Select line
        ^!Jump select_start

        ^!Select line
        ^!MoveCursor -1

        The second one is odd. Select line selects the line break. Under
        ^!MoveCursor in Help it says "Note that a line break represents two
        characters". So one would think -2 should be used but but that moves
        the cursor to before the last visible character. Go figure.

        Lotta
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 18, 2014

          Thanks, but it needs to be keyboard commands, not clips. I'm just using a keyboard without those keys and want the function. It might take an external key mapper.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 18, 2014
            John Shotsky wrote:
            > I'm just using a keyboard without those keys and want the function.

            Your request did sound somewhat strange. According to Wikipedia the
            functionality of those two keys should be mapped to <Fn><Left> and
            <Fn><Right> on your keyboard.

            Axel
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18, 2014

              Ok, I see. I tried that with the larger keyboard and it only moved one character. but with the smaller one, it actually works. Thanks!

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2014
                John Shotsky wrote:
                >Thanks, but it needs to be keyboard commands, not clips. I'm just
                >using a keyboard without those keys and want the function. It might
                >take an external key mapper.

                That's actually how I first interpreted it but then I thought what
                the heck would he want other keys when he can just hit the normal ones? ;-)

                I thought I had used small keyboards but obviously not small enough.
                They've all had those keys, even if oddly placed.

                Lotta
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 19, 2014

                  The keyboard is this one:

                  http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/bluetooth-illuminated-keyboard-k810

                  First, it's lighted, so it's easy to see those seldom used keys when my office is darkened. Second, it syncs to three devices, so I can push one button to switch it from my desktop to my Android phone or tablet. If it's light, the keys don't light up - it senses when the lighted keyboard is needed by ambient light. It also senses when your hand comes near it, and turns the lights on only then, or when a key is pressed (Thanks, cats!)

                  I never use numeric keypads, and it has always annoyed me that we all have to endure a numeric keypad on the RIGHT side of the keyboard, where my mouse is supposed to sit. Why should everyone have to have a keypad on the right side, when 99.9% of us never use a numeric keypad? I actually wouldn't mind so much if it was on the left, I just don't want to have to pass over it to get to the mouse and back. So, a keyboard sans numeric keypad is a good solution for me, and a smaller keyboard is easier to deal with in an under-desk keyboard tray.

                  Unfortunately, a two-key combination to get to the beginning or end of the line is no easier than using the mouse, so even though this keyboard does have the function/left/right combo, I probably won't use it except in certain instances. But I love the keyboard, and will take it with my tablet when I expect to need to enter a bunch of text.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 19, 2014
                    John Shotsky wrote:
                    > when 99.9% of us never use a numeric keypad?

                    Or possibly 9.9 %? On German keyboards the point in the numeric block is
                    mapped to the comma. I have it rectified on my own machines of course, but
                    always stumble when trying numeric entry on other people's computers.

                    > I just don't want to have to pass over it to get to the mouse and back.

                    Having to use the mouse while on keyboard input is a terrible bore anyway
                    and not necessary in all decent programs, the little point of a bit of
                    keypad doesn't make much difference imho.

                    > But I love the keyboard

                    That's the main thing anyway, whatever other people may say.

                    Axel
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 20, 2014
                      John Shotsky wrote:
                      >The keyboard is this one:
                      ><http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/bluetooth-illuminated-keyboard-k810>http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/bluetooth-illuminated-keyboard-k810

                      Cool!

                      >I never use numeric keypads, and it has always annoyed me that we
                      >all have to endure a numeric keypad on the RIGHT side of the
                      >keyboard, where my mouse is supposed to sit. Why should everyone
                      >have to have a keypad on the right side, when 99.9% of us never use
                      >a numeric keypad? I actually wouldn't mind so much if it was on the
                      >left, I just don't want to have to pass over it to get to the mouse
                      >and back. So, a keyboard sans numeric keypad is a good solution for
                      >me, and a smaller keyboard is easier to deal with in an under-desk
                      >keyboard tray.

                      You have a very good point there. It's in the way. I do use it, or
                      try to (I didn't stay in touch typing school long enough), but it
                      would be much better if it was on the left side. Why don't they make
                      different keyboards for left and right handed people? I've seen
                      keyboards with a separate numeric pad, bought as extra. That's also a
                      good idea. I was lusting for one of those, an ergonomic thing, but it
                      was pretty pricey and how long does it keyboard last? Not very, for
                      me. I tend to eat at the computer...

                      Lotta