About my non-working 'clips', from some months back

  • kahitch
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 2, 2014
      Hello, all:

      Some months back, I tried to find some help here, explaining that something that I called " a clip" had inexplicably ceased working.  Now, this wasn't what you guys call a clip; it was a s&r string of regex that I'd saved in my own clips library, to copy and paste into "find" and "replace" boxes in the Search/regex.  The strings had worked for years, and had abruptly stopped working, and I was asking if anyone saw any reason why that should be.  I was pretty roundly advised that what I was asking about wasn't a clip, etc.  Needless to say, I just gave up.

      However, I got on the line recently with a friend of mine who is fairly expert in regex, and we tested a variety of things, and the bizarre part is that it seems that my NTP7.01 is, simply, broken.  I can do regular S&R; but when I try to use any form of regex, the search function is broken.  I don't know if the replace function is broken, as I haven't gotten that far.  It's just stopped working.  Our only thoughts on this is that perhaps I downloaded and installed something that interfered with the Libraries that run NTP.

      So:  I'm back again.  I'm running a Win7 box, 64-bit, 256gig SSHD, 2 add'l RAIDS, and I have plenty of space, mem, ram, etc.  it's not that.  I honestly don't know if this has been the case since I updated to 7.01 of NTP, or not.  If I had an error, I might have attributed it to cockpit error, not a failure of the program, but when I tried again to run something recently that I knew bloody well should work, it didn't, and thus the call to my friend in HI.

      Has anyone here run into similar issues?  If you did, do you remember what you might have installed that might have conflicted with it?  I installed RegexBuddy sometime after I upgraded to NTP7.01, I think, but am not sure.  I cannot for the life of me think of anything else that might be interfering, unless perhaps it is Sigil, which now runs PCRE.

      Anyone have any thoughts?

      TIA,
      Hitch

    • Don
      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 9, 2014
        Just use a literal b as your search term on the phrase abc.

        Second step is then to try [a-c].

        If those work, then regex is working, in some context at least. If they
        don't it isn't. If it isn't working then we know that something is
        corrupt or interfering in your install.