[Clip] Re: Andreas_K=FCst

  • David Seidman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2000
      At 08:50 PM 01/09/2000 +0100, Andreas Küstermeyer wrote:
      >Hi all,
      >
      >On the webside you see my name = Andreas_K=FCst. I do not
      >know what there went wrong.
      >
      >Is it cause of the German <ü> in my name.
      >How can I change it?

      To expand on what Eric wrote:

      It almost certainly is because of the ü in your name. That is an 8-bit
      character. SMTP, the protocol used to send email on the 'Net, is a
      protocol that sort of assumes 7-bit characters -- while many systems will
      handle the 8th bit correctly, SMTP does not guarantee the integrity of the
      8th bit. Therefore, email senders generally encode anything using the 8th
      bit. If the 8th bit is used a lot (as in binary files), MIME will encode
      everything using BASE64 encoding. If there are just a few 8-bit
      characters, MIME will use "quoted printable" encoding, in which 8-bit
      characters (as well as any other characters US-ASCII views as
      non-printable) as encoded as =xx, where xx indicates two hex digits
      representing the character in question. If you consult an ANSI character
      table, ü corresponds to =FC, which is the funny stuff you found in your
      name. Exactly why the character got encoded but decoded here I do not know.