[Clip] Re: Position cursor at top of page

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2000
      Hi Erich,

      At 02:24 PM 1/10/2000 -0800, you wrote:
      >I have a simple text clip that I use to fill out a header for my phone
      >log. Problem is if I have the cursor anywhere but the top of the page I
      >mess up the whole document. I know this can be done and it's probably
      >pretty easy but hey, I'm new and I couldn't find anything in the online
      >help.
      >
      >I want to position the cursor before the first character of the
      >document then insert the text from my clip at that point.
      >
      >Also, is there a way to insert some text then a couple of return
      >characters then back up the cursor a couple of lines?
      >
      >Thank you very much!

      ^!Jump 1
      ^!InsertText Some text here.... ^p^p
      ^!MoveCursor -2

      You are welcome.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2000
        Hi Erich,

        I wrote:

        ^!Jump 1
        ^!InsertText Some text here.... ^p^p
        ^!MoveCursor -2

        A modification of what I wrote:

        If you want two blank lines below the text you need another ^p at the end
        of line two.

        ^!Jump nn sends you to the beginning of the document line so if you use 1
        you get to where you want. ^!Jump Dock_Start will do it also.

        ^!Jump +/- will move you up or down in the document so you can use ^!Jump
        -2 to move up a couple of lines if you wish. In this case, ^!MoveCursor -2
        works because the last two characters are hard breaks. If they were not it
        would fail and you would have to use Jump -2.

        Sorry for the incomplete information in the last post.

        ^!Jump 1
        ^!InsertText Some text here.... ^p^p^p
        ^!Jump -2

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • erichk@stelco.org
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2000
          Thanks!

          This is what I ended up with. I use the clip to insert a log entry into
          my phone log where I keep info about calls I make.

          ^!Jump 1
          ^!InsertText ^p
          Time: ^$GetDate()$
          Subject: ^?[Subject]
          Person: ^?[Person]
          Phone: ^?[Phone]
          ^!InsertText ^p^p
          Comments:
          ^!InsertText ^p^p^p
          ^!InsertText ^p
          ^!Jump -3

          Erich

          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips/?start=2411

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2000
            Hi Erich,

            > This is what I ended up with. I use the clip to insert a log
            > entry into my phone log where I keep info about calls I make.

            This just demonstrates how you can use blank lines in your Clips:

            ^!Jump 1
            ^%nl%Time: ^$GetDate()$
            Person: ^?[Person]
            Phone: ^?[Phone]

            Comments:

            ^!Jump -3

            And another method is putting it on one line (which is between
            the two ^!Jump commands below). ^%nl% is a preset variable for a
            new line. You do not need ^!InsertText with it, but you can use
            it with that.

            ^!Jump 1
            ^%nl%Time: ^$GetDate()$^%nl%Subject: ^?[Subject]^%nl%Person: ^?[Person]^%nl%Phone: ^?[Phone]^%nl%^%nl%^%nl%^%nl%Comments:^%nl%^%nl%^%nl%^%nl%^%nl%----------------------------------------------------------^%nl%
            ^!Jump -3

            I'm not sure if I got your new lines in the right place, but you
            get the idea.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab Clip List...
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2000
              Hi Eric, Jody and All

              At 06:57 PM 1/10/2000 -0600, you wrote:
              >Hi Erich,
              >
              > > This is what I ended up with. I use the clip to insert a log
              > > entry into my phone log where I keep info about calls I make.
              >
              >This just demonstrates how you can use blank lines in your Clips:
              >
              >^!Jump 1
              >^%nl%Time: ^$GetDate()$
              >Subject: ^?[Subject]
              >Person: ^?[Person]
              >Phone: ^?[Phone]
              >

              >Comments:

              >^!Jump -3

              This is something that is bothering me. The very first use for clips in
              NoteTab (or as it was called then Super NoteTab), was to enter text into a
              document which the Acronyms and Smilies clipbooks still do. Also to enter
              boilerplate such as addresses, phone numbers and whole sets of paragraphs
              and tables.

              At one time and still today on occfasion, I can enter ^%VariableNames%
              contents into a document this way as well as ^$GetFunctions$ but it seems
              not always so. Sometimes doing this fails and the actual variable name or
              function name gets entered instead.

              My question to Eric, Jody, Kay, Wayne or anybody else who knows is how and
              why did the ^!InsertText command come to be added to the NoteTab Clip
              Parser and what are the rules that require you to use it?

              Even in Jody's example above, you should not need ^%nl%. You should just
              be able to add one more blank line or two and get the same result.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2000
                Hi Larry,

                >> This just demonstrates how you can use blank lines

                > My question to Eric, Jody, Kay, Wayne or anybody else who knows
                > is how and why did the ^!InsertText command come to be added to
                > the NoteTab Clip Parser and what are the rules that require you
                > to use it?

                When in doubt use ^!InsertText. <g> It always works. The only
                time I have found that blank lines to not get inserted w/o the
                use of ^!InsertText is when the blank follows a command. Prompts
                are OK ^?[Basic prompts like this]. Functions and variables all
                work for me as long as they are not following a command:
                ^!Whatever.

                If I am not mistaken, one of the reasons for ^!InsertText was to
                be able to insert new lines with the ^p token. (The same with
                tabs, ^t.) At the time we did not have the preset variables for
                them.

                > Even in Jody's example above, you should not need ^%nl%.

                It followed a command: ^!Jump 1.

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                The NoteTab Clip List...
                mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              • Kay Roath
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 11, 2000
                  01/10/2000 7:32 PM Jody wrote
                  > > My question to Eric, Jody, Kay, Wayne or anybody else who knows
                  > > is how and why did the ^!InsertText command come to be added to
                  > > the NoteTab Clip Parser and what are the rules that require you
                  > > to use it?

                  I don't remember when or why but suspect it had something to do
                  with a blank line immediately after a line containing clip code
                  being ignored. Then again, it could just be that NoteTab generally
                  gives us numerous ways of accomplishing the same tasks :) I tend
                  to use it without thinking - my mind says insert text & my fingers
                  type ^!InsertText. I can't think of any instances that absolutely
                  require it's use.

                  --- Grandma Kay ---
                • Eric G.V. Fookes
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 11, 2000
                    Hi Larry,

                    >This is something that is bothering me. The very first use for clips in
                    >NoteTab (or as it was called then Super NoteTab), was to enter text into a
                    >document which the Acronyms and Smilies clipbooks still do. Also to enter
                    >boilerplate such as addresses, phone numbers and whole sets of paragraphs
                    >and tables.
                    >
                    >At one time and still today on occfasion, I can enter ^%VariableNames%
                    >contents into a document this way as well as ^$GetFunctions$ but it seems
                    >not always so. Sometimes doing this fails and the actual variable name or
                    >function name gets entered instead.

                    Could you send me examples of Clip code that do this?

                    >My question to Eric, Jody, Kay, Wayne or anybody else who knows is how and
                    >why did the ^!InsertText command come to be added to the NoteTab Clip
                    >Parser and what are the rules that require you to use it?

                    When you write Clip code, you can add blank lines between instructions (for
                    aesthetical reasons) without having to worry about them being pasted into
                    your current document. However, this can cause problems if you want to
                    paste a block of text, with blank lines, that is situated between Clip
                    code. In this case, the blank lines at the beginning and end of your block
                    of text will not be pasted as you would expect. In this case, the
                    ^!InsertText command comes in useful since you can specify line breaks with
                    the ^P token. This way, your block of text with blank lines are pasted
                    exactly as you want, and your Clip code is also more readable.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Regards,
                    Eric Fookes
                    -----------
                    NoteTab v4.6a available from
                    NoteTab v4.8 Beta from
                    http://www.notetab.com/beta.htm

                  • Larry Thomas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 11, 2000
                      Hi Kay and Jody,

                      At 01:27 AM 1/11/2000 -0800, Kay wrote:
                      >01/10/2000 7:32 PM Jody wrote
                      >> > My question to Eric, Jody, Kay, Wayne or anybody else who knows
                      >> > is how and why did the ^!InsertText command come to be added to
                      >> > the NoteTab Clip Parser and what are the rules that require you
                      >> > to use it?
                      >
                      >I don't remember when or why but suspect it had something to do
                      >with a blank line immediately after a line containing clip code
                      >being ignored. Then again, it could just be that NoteTab generally
                      >gives us numerous ways of accomplishing the same tasks :) I tend
                      >to use it without thinking - my mind says insert text & my fingers
                      >type ^!InsertText. I can't think of any instances that absolutely
                      >require it's use.
                      >
                      >--- Grandma Kay ---

                      Thanks for the info. It makes sense to me now and I am glad that I can go
                      back to inserting text into documents the other way with some understanding
                      of how it does and does not work.

                      Regards,

                      Larry
                      larryt@...
                    • Larry Thomas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 11, 2000
                        Hi Eric,

                        At 02:51 PM 1/11/2000 +0100, you wrote:
                        >Hi Larry,
                        >
                        >>At one time and still today on occfasion, I can enter ^%VariableNames%
                        >>contents into a document this way as well as ^$GetFunctions$ but it seems
                        >>not always so. Sometimes doing this fails and the actual variable name or
                        >>function name gets entered instead.

                        >Could you send me examples of Clip code that do this?

                        Sorry. I cannot duplicate the problem above with Variables and Functions.
                        I am positive that this happened to me but I am also sure that it has been
                        in much earlier versions - 4.50 or 4.011iw. After ^!InsertText, I just did
                        not have the problem again and as with most of the NoteTab upgrades, it is
                        very possible that you fixed the problem in response to another user's
                        complaint with out my realizing the problem had been fixed. I do have one
                        self criticism here and I intend to try to overcome it. That is when I
                        have a problem, I should at least make notes on when it occurred and what
                        work around if any I found for it. As it is now, I cannot tell you when
                        some of these things happened or exactly what cercumstances existed at the
                        time. Not good for a beta tester. Not Good at all.

                        >>My question to Eric, Jody, Kay, Wayne or anybody else who knows is how and
                        >>why did the ^!InsertText command come to be added to the NoteTab Clip
                        >>Parser and what are the rules that require you to use it?

                        Thanks to you and to all for the helpful answers. This info goes into my
                        special NoteTab Information Reference file for future use.

                        Regards,

                        Larry
                        larryt@...
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 11, 2000
                          Hi Larry,

                          > Thanks for the info. It makes sense to me now and I am glad
                          > that I can go back to inserting text into documents the other
                          > way with some understanding of how it does and does not work.

                          I like to use the straight text in some Clips because it is
                          contrasted in black (my foreground font color). I know right off
                          it is to print in the doc (or a line that should be wrapped up
                          that was split. It also saves some time in Clip writing.