Error found and question

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2013
      IO just found a rather nasty error in the help file. Explaining SetArray
      an example given reads:

      ^!SetArray %Array%="Value 1";"Value 2";"Value 3"

      If you write it like that, the quotes become part of the variables! You
      have to omit the quotes.

      My question is:
      Is there any way to close a program? I have

      ^!CmdShow Maximize
      ^!Shell F:\Winutil\acrobat\Reader\AcroRd32.exe ^%vSRC%
      ^!CmdShow Normal

      The problem here is, that Arcobat locks files opened for reading. In a
      later part of the clip I want to delete or rename the file ^%vSRC%, so I
      need to close acrobat.

      Any ideas? Doing it manually has me <Alt><Tab>ing intil the joints hurt.

      Danke
      Axel
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2013

        In the cmd prompt, type Taskkill /? for instructions to kill a process. You can probably just make a clip to close Acrobat that you can use whenever you need it.

        You'll have to issue a dos command that is something like:

        TaskKill /F /IM AcroRd32.exe

        You can test this from the command line until you get the right set of switches, then make it a clip.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 2013
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > In the cmd prompt, type Taskkill /?

          I might have mentioned that I'm still on Win98SE. No taskkill there.

          Thanks all the same.

          Axel
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27, 2013

            Hmmm…perhaps have it open a dummy document just to get the focus off the open document. Or use a different pdf reader that has the switches needed. Not sure what will still run on Win98. Why not move up to XP?

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 27, 2013
              John Shotsky wrote:
              > just to get the focus off the open document.

              Doesn't help.

              > Why not move up to XP?

              I have it installed on an eXPerimental setup with nearly identical
              hardware to my main machine but their perceived speeds differ by at
              least a factor of two. If I do move up, and it seems I shall have to
              soon, then it will be to Linux, not one William Henry's abominations.

              There must be a way, because another editor, Winshell, can do it, but I
              don't know how.

              Axel
            • loro
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 27, 2013
                At 15:11 2013-10-27, Axel Berger wrote:
                >IO just found a rather nasty error in the help file. Explaining SetArray
                >an example given reads:
                >
                >^!SetArray %Array%="Value 1";"Value 2";"Value 3"
                >
                >If you write it like that, the quotes become part of the variables! You
                >have to omit the quotes.

                No, they don't actually. They just show along with the delimiters
                when you choose to display the array as a whole. They are not in the
                individual variables.

                ^!SetArray %Array%="Value 1";"Value 2";"Value 3"
                ^!Info ^%Array%
                ^!Info ^%Array1%

                An odd thing happens if you want to print the whole array though.
                I've never bothered to ask about it since it isn't something one is
                likely to want to do, but it's odd.

                ^!Info ^%Array% => "Value 1";"Value 2";"Value 3"

                All good. But...

                ^!InsertText ^%Array% => Value 1";"Value 2";"Value 3

                All of a sudden the end quotes are eaten. Odd, huh?

                >My question is:
                >Is there any way to close a program?

                Don't think there is a command. Apart from what John suggested you
                could send keystrokes to the program. If the program is Notepad...

                ^!FocusApp *Notepad
                ^!Delay 5
                ^!Keyboard Alt+F X

                For some reason I couldn't get Alt+F4 to work. Don't know why.

                Lotta
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 27, 2013
                  loro wrote:
                  > ^!InsertText ^%Array% => Value 1";"Value 2";"Value 3
                  > All of a sudden the end quotes are eaten. Odd, huh?

                  That's the one one thing that didn't surprise me. InserText allows
                  quotes and takes them off. Write ^!InsertText "^%Array%" and you're
                  fine.

                  I came across this the folowing way. First I have a file with (more than
                  400) lines like:

                  AmJHumBiol^=AmJHumBiol;2;3
                  AmJHumGen^="AmJHumGen";"2";"4"

                  (Here there's one with and one without quotes on purpose.)
                  The important lines in my clip are:

                  ^!Set %aNAM%=^$GetFileText(G:\PDF-neu\00c-Abbr.txt)$
                  ^!Set %aNAM%=^$StrReplace("^P";"|";"^%aNAM%";FALSE;FALSE)$

                  ^!Set %vNAM%=^?{(T=L,H=5)Zeitschrift=^%aNAM%};
                  ^!SetArray %aNAM%=^%vNAM%

                  ^!Set %vVOL%=^$StrCopyRight("00000^%vVOL%";^%aNAM2%)$
                  ^!Set %vPAG%=^$StrCopyRight("00000^%vPAG%";^%aNAM3%)$
                  ^!Set %vDST%="^%pDST%^%aNAM1%^%vVOL%-^%vPAG%-^%vAUT%.pdf"

                  In all cases my %aNAMx% did contain the quotes.

                  The purpose of the clip is to rename PDFs according to a fixed scheme
                  for far more journals than I can remember the details of.

                  Axel
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2013
                    Hi
                    have you tried PDF VIEWER EXCHANGE free version

                    PDFXCview.exe [command] [filename1] [[filename2] [. [filenameN]]]
                    Where command can be one of the following commands:
                    ƒ /A "param=value [¶m2=value [&...]"
                    ƒ /close[:save|discard|ask]
                    /print[:[default=yes|no][&showui=yes|no][&printer=<printername>][&pages=<pagesrange>]]

                    THANKYOU DAVE-M

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2013
                      Dave wrote:
                      > have you tried PDF VIEWER EXCHANGE free version

                      No. Reason is:
                      > Sorry - but we do not offer a version for Windows 95, 98, Me
                      > or Windows NT, 2000.

                      Danke

                      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68