find string, get line number

  • hwitche
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013
      Hi all,

      after finding a string in *.txt, I would like to have the line number.

      I can't find in "Help" something like "getlinenumber".

      thank you for any hint

      Hans
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013
        hwitche@... wrote:
        > after finding a string in *.txt, I would like to have the line number.

        ^$GetRow$

        Axel
      • hwitche
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013

           Thank you Axel,

          Hans

          PS: to FookesHoldings Inc.: would be good to include it in the Search of Help.

          "^$GetRow$" Result: No topic found.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013
            hwitche@... wrote:
            > "^$GetRow$" Result: No topic found.

            Not so. Remember this is the Windows help function with its intrinsic
            limits. I just searched for "getrow" (without quotes) and found it at
            once, OTOH if you already know what it is, you either don't need help at
            all or use the index.
            In the same vain, as I had never used that function myself I too had to
            refer to help. Searching for "lines" and looking at the suggested topics
            I found the first suggested, "Select etc.", to be the most probable and
            skimmed that. Never mind if you're new to the program. You get used to
            the structure of its help file and quick at finding stuff in rather a
            short time. I too used to struggle at first.

            Axel
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013
              On 10/7/2013 11:06 AM, hwitche@... wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > after finding a string in *.txt, I would like to have the line number.
              >
              > I can't find in "Help" something like "getlinenumber".
              >
              > thank you for any hint
              >
              > Hans

              Hans,

              If you aren't in 'Clip mode' and if it isn't showing already you can enable the 'Status Bar'

              by selecting > View > Options and checkmark the 4th item down 'Show Status Bar'.

              The Row and Line Character position are displayed at the bottom left on the status bar.

              ¤• JD#.280 - ¤• SL.1119/@3>4 - 13.10.07~15.00.46

              • Out Of My Mind.
              • Back In Five Minutes!

              € hrs €  hsavage € pobox € com^~    ^