Copying files via http using NoteTab

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2013

      I host some text files on my web page, and update them regularly. I would like to be able to copy from the web page to the appropriate folder on the user's computer automatically. No user GUI - just a stealthy download. I will take care of backing up the old file, etc. From my reading of the help files, this is not possible using clips, other than implementing some sort of an FTP downloader. These are simply short text files, although there may also be some zip files to download. If this can't be done using clips, how would you go about using NoteTab and maybe some other small program to download a file from a known site?

      One file to be downloaded:

      http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/prodnames.txt

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2013
        John Shotsky wrote:
        > how would you go about
        > using NoteTab and maybe some other small program to download a file
        > from a known site?

        I don't know about newer Windows but mine has the command line tool
        ftp.exe that ought to run from a clip.

        Axel
      • loro
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
          John Shotsky wrote:
          >I host some text files on my web page, and update them regularly. I
          >would like to be able to copy from the web page to the appropriate
          >folder on the user's computer automatically. No user GUI - just a
          >stealthy download. I will take care of backing up the old file, etc.
          > From my reading of the help files, this is not possible using
          >clips, other than implementing some sort of an FTP downloader. These
          >are simply short text files, although there may also be some zip
          >files to download. If this can't be done using clips, how would you
          >go about using NoteTab and maybe some other small program to
          >download a file from a known site?
          >
          >One file to be downloaded:
          ><http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/prodnames.txt>http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/prodnames.txt

          The only way I can think of to do this without any additional
          programs is to make a browser go to the URL, View Source and make the
          editor that opens do a Save As.

          Something like so.

          H="HTTP Fetch"

          ^!URL [IExplore] http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/prodnames.txt
          ^!Delay 30
          ^!Keyboard Alt+V
          ^!Delay 10
          ^!Keyboard C
          ^!Delay 30
          ^!Keyboard Alt+F Aelay 10
          ^!Keyboard A

          The delays are too long, just wanted to make sure it would work. It
          should work as long as the Veiw Source editor is Notetab, Notepad or
          something else with normal keyboard shortcuts and if the latest
          versions of IE use the same keyboard shortcuts as IE used to. Since
          your users use Notetab they should be on Windows and the only browser
          you can be sure that they have is IE. That's why I specify IE rather
          than using just ^!URL. All browsers don't use the same keyboard shortcuts.

          You will never get the stealth download you want from the web with
          normal means since that would be a security risk. Can't you let them
          use FTP? You can make Notetab interact with ftp.exe that Axel
          mentioned and download a file with a click.

          Or maybe you could create a HTML document with the URLs to the files
          in question and they can just rightclick and download those they want?

          Lotta
        • Sheri Pierce
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
            Look for a windows build of wget. Another option is called curl.

            Either of those command line programs should be able to do it and should be accessible from notetab clips, but you'd need to distribute the program and any dlls it needs with your clips.
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013

              Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I found a program that needs no installation or dll files that does the trick.

              http://noeld.com/programs.asp

              File Downloader. It does just what I want and nothing more, and runs from NoteTab.

              Look for a windows build of wget. Another option is called curl.

              Either of those command line programs should be able to do it and should be accessible from notetab clips, but you'd need to distribute the program and any dlls it needs with your clips.

            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
                At 9/21/2013 09:51 AM, you wrote:
                I host some text files on my web page, and update them regularly. I would like to be able to copy from the web page to the appropriate folder on the user's computer automatically. No user GUI - just a stealthy download. I will take care of backing up the old file, etc. From my reading of the help files, this is not possible using clips, other than implementing some sort of an FTP downloader. These are simply short text files, although there may also be some zip files to download. If this can't be done using clips, how would you go about using NoteTab and maybe some other small program to download a file from a known site?

                http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
                http://curl.haxx.se/

                Trivial task:

                ^!Set %wget%=^$GetShort("G:\Leech Apps\WGet\wget.exe")$
                ^!Set %url%="http://recipetools.gotdns.com/files/prodnames.txt"
                ^!Set %s%=^$GetOutput(^%wget% -O - "^%url%")$  [DLs to clip variable]

                ^!DOS "^%wget%" -O - "^%url%"                  [DLs to Std Out
                ^!DOS "^%wget%" "^%url%"                       [DLs to current folder as prodnames.txt
                ^!DOS "^%wget% -O Newname.txt" "^%url%"        [DLs to current folder as Newname.txt

                WGET is probably the most well known and versitile DL utility available. It is an extremely powerful leech tool that can DL anything from a single file to an entire web site, filtering by an almost unlimited set of criteria and optionally converting the web links to local links. It is an open source with a long history, is stable, is fast and is in no danger of disappearing.

                From the WGET readme file:

                   It can follow links in HTML pages and create local versions of remote
                   web sites, fully recreating the directory structure of the original
                   site.  This is sometimes referred to as "recursive downloading."
                   While doing that, Wget respects the Robot Exclusion Standard
                   (/robots.txt).  Wget can be instructed to convert the links in
                   downloaded HTML files to the local files for offline viewing.

                   Recursive downloading also works with FTP, where Wget can retrieves a
                   hierarchy of directories and files.

                   With both HTTP and FTP, Wget can check whether a remote file has
                   changed on the server since the previous run, and only download the
                   newer files.

                   Wget has been designed for robustness over slow or unstable network
                   connections; if a download fails due to a network problem, it will
                   keep retrying until the whole file has been retrieved.  If the server
                   supports regetting, it will instruct the server to continue the
                   download from where it left off.

                Another popular and powerful alternative is cURL:

                   cURL  is  a tool to transfer data from or to a server, using one of the
                   supported protocols (DICT, FILE, FTP, FTPS, GOPHER, HTTP, HTTPS,  IMAP,
                   IMAPS,  LDAP,  LDAPS,  POP3, POP3S, RTMP, RTSP, SCP, SFTP, SMTP, SMTPS,
                   TELNET and TFTP).  The command is designed to work without user  inter-
                   action.

                   cURL offers a busload of useful tricks like proxy support, user authen-
                   tication, FTP upload, HTTP post, SSL connections, cookies, file  trans-
                   fer  resume,  Metalink,  and more.

                Art
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 23, 2013
                  FTP.exe is included in all versions of Windows since Win95, I think.

                  I have a NoteTab OTL file that you can download from here: http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/FTP_Notes.php.

                  Or you can just review it online.

                  Eric has good support for basic FTP in the FTP library that comes with NoteTab. At least I think it is still one of the default libraries.

                  FTP is good because it is free and no download of another program.

                  Wget and curl are also free and work with NoteTab.

                  I used to use ftp.exe at work all the time, until they went to a secure ftp server and the basic ftp.exe does not support sftp. I am not sure about the versions in Win7 and newer. We use FileZilla since it is free. I have not looked into it's command line options for a couple of years, so it may not be any better at what it was back then. It would be nice if it had all the bells and whistles of the M$ ftp.exe for easier scripting.

                  ~ Larry