Re: [Clip] How to fix non-Ascii characters using NoteTab

  • Roopakshi Pathania
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 7, 2013
      Hi Axel,

      I've not been following this thread, but will throw out a couple of suggestions based on what I've read.
      If you wish to use those fraction characters both for entering/ back converting into NTP or converting them into HTML, why not try MathML or LaTeX?
      MathML may be a bit tedius, but it is appropriate for HTML form, and is readable as well as replaceable in any text editor.
      LaTeX can be entered and converted into HTML using TeX4HT. It is also replaceable.

      Again, since I didn't read most mails, I'm not sure if my suggestions would help.

      Sent from my Lenovo ThinkPad

      Subject: Re: [Clip] How to fix non-Ascii characters using NoteTab
      To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, September 1, 2013, 12:31 AM

      John Shotsky wrote:

      > I use EditPad Pro on an expired trial for working with
      Unicode files.

      > When I open the html file with EditPad I can see these
      characters

      > just fine.

      That may well be the problem. That and some shenanigans
      Windows itself

      engages in with copying and pasting.

      > I have taken the liberty of cc'ing your personal
      email address,

      > and have attached the html.

      I have opened the html in firefox and a UTF UNaware simple
      editor. In

      the first I see all characters and copying and pasting
      translates them

      from UTF to ANSI or an ASCII equivalent thus:

      ¼ cup flour

      ¾ cup milk

      1/3 cup flour

      The editors shows me the individual bytes the characters are
      made of and

      I can copy them to NT unchanged:

      >¾</strong> cup milk</div>

      >¼ cup flour</strong></div>

      >â…“ cup flour</strong></div>

      Running my own UTF script over them yields:

      >¾</strong> cup milk</div>

      >¼ cup flour</strong></div>

      >⅓ cup flour</strong></div>

      (Converting everything possible to cp-1252 = ANSI is on
      purpose.

      Omitting those parts it would be even easier to make
      everything an

      entity.)

      There may be OS issues here too. Parts of eXPerimental are
      UTF-aware and

      might interfere. I'm using Win98SE, but I doubt
      that's the difference.

      (To try I'd need to install stuff first.)

      Axel
    • Roopakshi Pathania

        Date: Sunday, September 1, 2013, 12:31 AM