RE: [Clip] How to fix non-Ascii characters using NoteTab

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 31, 2013
      Yes, I agree, but what I meant to say is single byte characters. I know different code pages place different characters in some of
      the 128-255 positions. BabelMap is an excellent character mapping tool, which lets you see which characters are in each position for
      any code page, even Asian.

      In any event, my solution must work for some hundred usesrs of my code, so the solution must work for anyone. That restricts what
      external programs they might all be able to use. Or maybe I'll just stop trying to support this feature until tools are available to
      do it right.

      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 7, 2013
        Hi Axel,

        I've not been following this thread, but will throw out a couple of suggestions based on what I've read.
        If you wish to use those fraction characters both for entering/ back converting into NTP or converting them into HTML, why not try MathML or LaTeX?
        MathML may be a bit tedius, but it is appropriate for HTML form, and is readable as well as replaceable in any text editor.
        LaTeX can be entered and converted into HTML using TeX4HT. It is also replaceable.

        Again, since I didn't read most mails, I'm not sure if my suggestions would help.

        Sent from my Lenovo ThinkPad

        To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, September 1, 2013, 12:31 AM

        John Shotsky wrote:

        > I use EditPad Pro on an expired trial for working with
        Unicode files.

        > When I open the html file with EditPad I can see these
        characters

        > just fine.

        That may well be the problem. That and some shenanigans
        Windows itself

        engages in with copying and pasting.

        > I have taken the liberty of cc'ing your personal
        email address,

        > and have attached the html.

        I have opened the html in firefox and a UTF UNaware simple
        editor. In

        the first I see all characters and copying and pasting
        translates them

        from UTF to ANSI or an ASCII equivalent thus:

        ¼ cup flour

        ¾ cup milk

        1/3 cup flour

        The editors shows me the individual bytes the characters are
        made of and

        I can copy them to NT unchanged:

        >¾</strong> cup milk</div>

        >¼ cup flour</strong></div>

        >â…“ cup flour</strong></div>

        Running my own UTF script over them yields:

        >¾</strong> cup milk</div>

        >¼ cup flour</strong></div>

        >⅓ cup flour</strong></div>

        (Converting everything possible to cp-1252 = ANSI is on
        purpose.

        Omitting those parts it would be even easier to make
        everything an

        entity.)

        There may be OS issues here too. Parts of eXPerimental are
        UTF-aware and

        might interfere. I'm using Win98SE, but I doubt
        that's the difference.

        (To try I'd need to install stuff first.)