RE: [Clip] How to fix non-Ascii characters using NoteTab

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 31, 2013
      The problem is that the characters are not coded, they are the actual characters themselves. For example the hex code for the single
      character 1/3 is [E28593].

      It is EASY to work with properly coded characters, it is UNCODED characters I'm talking about and not halves and quarters, as in the
      US. It is all those OTHER fractions that are not supported in the fist 256 characters of US ASCII. LIke thirds, fifths, sixths,
      eighths, etc. Also, smart quotes, smart double quotes, etc.

      These documents, when in NoteTab, display only question marks, just as your email shows them below. It’s the same problem, only
      worse, since you were only showing US fractions and I'm talking about ALL of them that have Unicode representation. I need a Unicode
      version of NoteTab.

      From: John Shotsky
      Receiver: ntb-clips
      Time: 2013-08-31, 18:18:39

    • Roopakshi Pathania
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 7, 2013
        Hi Axel,

        I've not been following this thread, but will throw out a couple of suggestions based on what I've read.
        If you wish to use those fraction characters both for entering/ back converting into NTP or converting them into HTML, why not try MathML or LaTeX?
        MathML may be a bit tedius, but it is appropriate for HTML form, and is readable as well as replaceable in any text editor.
        LaTeX can be entered and converted into HTML using TeX4HT. It is also replaceable.

        Again, since I didn't read most mails, I'm not sure if my suggestions would help.

        Sent from my Lenovo ThinkPad

        To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, September 1, 2013, 12:31 AM

        John Shotsky wrote:

        > I use EditPad Pro on an expired trial for working with
        Unicode files.

        > When I open the html file with EditPad I can see these
        characters

        > just fine.

        That may well be the problem. That and some shenanigans
        Windows itself

        engages in with copying and pasting.

        > I have taken the liberty of cc'ing your personal
        email address,

        > and have attached the html.

        I have opened the html in firefox and a UTF UNaware simple
        editor. In

        the first I see all characters and copying and pasting
        translates them

        from UTF to ANSI or an ASCII equivalent thus:

        ¼ cup flour

        ¾ cup milk

        1/3 cup flour

        The editors shows me the individual bytes the characters are
        made of and

        I can copy them to NT unchanged:

        >¾</strong> cup milk</div>

        >¼ cup flour</strong></div>

        >â…“ cup flour</strong></div>

        Running my own UTF script over them yields:

        >¾</strong> cup milk</div>

        >¼ cup flour</strong></div>

        >⅓ cup flour</strong></div>

        (Converting everything possible to cp-1252 = ANSI is on
        purpose.

        Omitting those parts it would be even easier to make
        everything an

        entity.)

        There may be OS issues here too. Parts of eXPerimental are
        UTF-aware and

        might interfere. I'm using Win98SE, but I doubt
        that's the difference.

        (To try I'd need to install stuff first.)