[Clip] Re: onopen behaviour

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      At 08:19 PM 1/9/2000 -0600, you wrote:
      >Hi Larry,
      >
      > > I just introduced a clip called "Clip Wrappers" and I explained
      > > in my posts how to run the clip from the Clip Assistant using
      > > the ^!Farclip command.
      >
      >True, but try to initiate a Clip from Clipbook with the Clip
      >Editor open. :)
      >
      >See ya in the funnies!
      >Jody Adair

      Actually after reading the help file on the ^!Farclip command, my previous
      post could be confusing to someone reading it and thinking that you can run
      a clip that is open in the clip editor. The ^!Farclip command actually
      loads the clip code from the requested clip into RAM and runs it from there
      so that there is no conflict. I even lost track of that fact when I was
      making my reply. Sorry for the confusion. And yes, I am regularly getting
      an error message when I try to run a clip and forget to switch away for the
      CE.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2000
        Hi Grant,

        >The onOpen clip bound to an onOpen event is a good idea in that it provides
        >a way to set global variables and arrays that can be used in the other
        >clips in the library.
        >The problem as I see it is that you can actually open a library without the
        >"onopen" event being triggered and that when this happens the end user is
        >gunna get confused.

        When the Clip Editor has the focus, NoteTab assumes you are editing the
        library. It would not be helpful for most users to have Clips automatically
        executed under this mode. Supposing your OnOpen Clip has a bad bug that
        needs fixing. Wouldn't you hate it to be triggered when you have the Clip
        editor open, ready to work on it?

        >According to the help file An event is a system thingy, it should either
        >happen or not .
        >When an onopen "event" occurs the "onopen" clip should be there doing it's
        >stuff.

        Correct, but the event is overridden if the library is open for editing.
        You can always execute the OnOpen Clip manually once you close the editor
        or move to another document.

        Regards,
        Eric Fookes
        NoteTab v4.6a available from