RE: [Clip] Second window - diff, scroll?

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
      I second ComparIt!. I do have clips to evoke it, and several other compare tools, but this is the only one that I use. For one
      thing, it has the ability to wrap text lines in paragraphs during the compare, so you don't have to scroll for miles off the screen
      to make comparisons on long lines. That alone is enough for me, since I compare actual text, rather than code, which tends to be
      shorter lines. I have also used it when NoteTab consumes itself, which has happened several times, in spite of the fact that it is
      not supposed to happen. (I now know how to force it to do so.) Nothing like being able to compare two 1.5M clip libraries, and
      choose what should be there and what should not be there.

      If anyone chooses to buy it, there is a 'coupon' code or discount for 25%. Use that, then you'll have the best compare tool you can
      ask for. It doesn't get updated - but it doesn't need it. In my RecipeClips system, it is set to compare the before with the after
      for every complete run. You can spot immediately when it does anything wrong, even a missed space, capitalized letter, a comma out
      of place, etc. I have tried them all, even paid ones, and nothing even comes close for the kind of text that I work with.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
        On Monday, August 26, 2013, 11:35:39 PM, Art Kocsis wrote:

        AK> To answer your question - No, it is not possible to lock the
        AK> windows and , No there is no builtin compare engine in NTB. It IS
        AK> something we have asked for multiple times but to no avail.

        It's a feature included in VDE, my favourite DOS editor from way back!
        Strange how Windows software takes so long to catch up. But I seem to
        remember VDE's author saying that with Windows, a programmer spends
        more time interacting with the OS than solving the problem they had in
        the first place. However, I find freeware TED Notepad
        http://www.jsimlo.sk/notepad/ has a mode to compare two phrases
        (rather than files), and EmEditor http://www.emeditor.com/ has a
        fairly extensive file "diff" feature.

        AK> The best app, bar none, to compare two files is Beyond Compare by
        AK> Scooter software. It is smart, feature laden and its UI is so
        AK> intuitive that one never needs a manual. It has modes for
        AK> comparing text, images, binary, music, registry, html, et al -

        I already have a license for a recent but non-current version of
        ExamDiff Pro, http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiffpro.asp It
        compares PDFs, DOC, etc., by using plug-ins to converting them to
        text, then comparing the text. This is a bit hit or miss, depending
        on the plug-ins. I don't know how its competitors work.

        Thanks to you and others for suggestions of WinMerge, CompareIt! etc.

        AK> It would be fairly trivial to write a clip to invoke either one of
        AK> these apps with your two open docs.

        That's what I may try to do. I dislike delving into NTP's manual; it
        always seems harder than it should be to find things, a result of the
        feature-richness of the program, perhaps. I hope there's a way to pick
        up the files in different tabs to use as command-line arguments.

        --
        Thanks,

        Robert Bull
        mailto:barlennan@...
      • Robert Bull
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
          On Monday, August 26, 2013, 11:01:41 PM, Ray Shapp wrote:

          RS> Have you tried the "Compare two files" clip in the Utilities clip
          RS> book that comes with NTPro? It compares two open documents and

          I'd seen it, but disregarded it, because I thought the Microsoft "FC"
          utility it uses was too simple-minded for what I wanted. In fact it
          turns out to be better than I thought, but I'd prefer something better
          still.

          --
          Thanks,

          Robert Bull
          mailto:barlennan@...
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
            I would be happy to share my code with you privately, but it may be overkill for you. I set up everything in advance in variables,
            then issue the command to run the diff tool using those variables, and hold Notetab at bay until the diff tool is closed. The
            variables are based on the name of the primary open document, some processing takes place, a new document is created, and the diff
            tool compares the two. Everything is automatic, you don't lift a finger until you see the results in the diff tool to see if you
            like what the clip library has done. I must say, I have gotten so used to this method, that I often don't even look at the output
            file separately - CompareIt shows me exactly what I need to see. My work isn't with code, but with recipes.

            mailto:barlennan@... <mailto:barlennan%40yahoo.co.uk>