Re: [Clip] Second window - diff, scroll?

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
      At 8/25/2013 09:32 AM, Robert wrote:
      >NTP can display two documents side by side by loading two documents in
      >separate tabs, then (Documents menu, Second Window, or Shift+Ctrl+W.
      >
      >Please, is it possible to lock them together so you can scroll them
      >together, and/or show the differences between them? I.e., a simple
      >built-in "diff" utility?

      To answer your question - No, it is not possible to lock the windows
      and , No there is no builtin compare engine in NTB. It IS something we have asked for multiple times but to no avail.

      The best app, bar none, to compare two files is Beyond Compare by Scooter software. It is smart, feature laden and its UI is so intuitive that one never needs a manual. It has modes for comparing text, images, binary, music, registry, html, et al - much more than just text. I've even seen it paraphrase html code and mark the difference as unimportant! Every time I think of something I think that it would be nice to have I find it is already there. It has a builtin text editor - no where near as extensive as NTB but adequate. Unfortunately, it is not freeware but worth it if you compare files frequently.

      For strictly comparing text, you could try the freeware app Win Merge.

      It would be fairly trivial to write a clip to invoke either one of these apps with your two open docs.

      Art
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
        I second ComparIt!. I do have clips to evoke it, and several other compare tools, but this is the only one that I use. For one
        thing, it has the ability to wrap text lines in paragraphs during the compare, so you don't have to scroll for miles off the screen
        to make comparisons on long lines. That alone is enough for me, since I compare actual text, rather than code, which tends to be
        shorter lines. I have also used it when NoteTab consumes itself, which has happened several times, in spite of the fact that it is
        not supposed to happen. (I now know how to force it to do so.) Nothing like being able to compare two 1.5M clip libraries, and
        choose what should be there and what should not be there.

        If anyone chooses to buy it, there is a 'coupon' code or discount for 25%. Use that, then you'll have the best compare tool you can
        ask for. It doesn't get updated - but it doesn't need it. In my RecipeClips system, it is set to compare the before with the after
        for every complete run. You can spot immediately when it does anything wrong, even a missed space, capitalized letter, a comma out
        of place, etc. I have tried them all, even paid ones, and nothing even comes close for the kind of text that I work with.

        >NTP can display two documents side by side by loading two documents in
        >separate tabs, then (Documents menu, Second Window, or Shift+Ctrl+W.
        >
        >Please, is it possible to lock them together so you can scroll them
        >together, and/or show the differences between them? I.e., a simple
        >built-in "diff" utility?

        To answer your question - No, it is not possible to lock the windows
        and , No there is no builtin compare engine in NTB. It IS something we have asked for multiple times but to no avail.

        The best app, bar none, to compare two files is Beyond Compare by Scooter software. It is smart, feature laden and its UI is so
        intuitive that one never needs a manual. It has modes for comparing text, images, binary, music, registry, html, et al - much more
        than just text. I've even seen it paraphrase html code and mark the difference as unimportant! Every time I think of something I
        think that it would be nice to have I find it is already there. It has a builtin text editor - no where near as extensive as NTB but
        adequate. Unfortunately, it is not freeware but worth it if you compare files frequently.

        For strictly comparing text, you could try the freeware app Win Merge.

        It would be fairly trivial to write a clip to invoke either one of these apps with your two open docs.

        Art

      • Robert Bull
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
          On Monday, August 26, 2013, 11:35:39 PM, Art Kocsis wrote:

          AK> To answer your question - No, it is not possible to lock the
          AK> windows and , No there is no builtin compare engine in NTB. It IS
          AK> something we have asked for multiple times but to no avail.

          It's a feature included in VDE, my favourite DOS editor from way back!
          Strange how Windows software takes so long to catch up. But I seem to
          remember VDE's author saying that with Windows, a programmer spends
          more time interacting with the OS than solving the problem they had in
          the first place. However, I find freeware TED Notepad
          http://www.jsimlo.sk/notepad/ has a mode to compare two phrases
          (rather than files), and EmEditor http://www.emeditor.com/ has a
          fairly extensive file "diff" feature.

          AK> The best app, bar none, to compare two files is Beyond Compare by
          AK> Scooter software. It is smart, feature laden and its UI is so
          AK> intuitive that one never needs a manual. It has modes for
          AK> comparing text, images, binary, music, registry, html, et al -

          I already have a license for a recent but non-current version of
          ExamDiff Pro, http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiffpro.asp It
          compares PDFs, DOC, etc., by using plug-ins to converting them to
          text, then comparing the text. This is a bit hit or miss, depending
          on the plug-ins. I don't know how its competitors work.

          Thanks to you and others for suggestions of WinMerge, CompareIt! etc.

          AK> It would be fairly trivial to write a clip to invoke either one of
          AK> these apps with your two open docs.

          That's what I may try to do. I dislike delving into NTP's manual; it
          always seems harder than it should be to find things, a result of the
          feature-richness of the program, perhaps. I hope there's a way to pick
          up the files in different tabs to use as command-line arguments.

          --
          Thanks,

          Robert Bull
          mailto:barlennan@...
        • Robert Bull
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
            On Monday, August 26, 2013, 11:01:41 PM, Ray Shapp wrote:

            RS> Have you tried the "Compare two files" clip in the Utilities clip
            RS> book that comes with NTPro? It compares two open documents and

            I'd seen it, but disregarded it, because I thought the Microsoft "FC"
            utility it uses was too simple-minded for what I wanted. In fact it
            turns out to be better than I thought, but I'd prefer something better
            still.

            --
            Thanks,

            Robert Bull
            mailto:barlennan@...
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
              I would be happy to share my code with you privately, but it may be overkill for you. I set up everything in advance in variables,
              then issue the command to run the diff tool using those variables, and hold Notetab at bay until the diff tool is closed. The
              variables are based on the name of the primary open document, some processing takes place, a new document is created, and the diff
              tool compares the two. Everything is automatic, you don't lift a finger until you see the results in the diff tool to see if you
              like what the clip library has done. I must say, I have gotten so used to this method, that I often don't even look at the output
              file separately - CompareIt shows me exactly what I need to see. My work isn't with code, but with recipes.

              mailto:barlennan@... <mailto:barlennan%40yahoo.co.uk>