Second window - diff, scroll?

  • Robert Bull
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2013
      NTP can display two documents side by side by loading two documents in
      separate tabs, then (Documents menu, Second Window, or Shift+Ctrl+W.

      Please, is it possible to lock them together so you can scroll them
      together, and/or show the differences between them? I.e., a simple
      built-in "diff" utility?

      --
      Thanks,

      Robert Bull
      mailto:barlennan@...
    • Ian NTnerd
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
        I'd just use WinMerge it is free.

        Ian
        On 26/08/2013 12:32 AM, Robert Bull wrote:

        > NTP can display two documents side by side by loading two documents in
        > separate tabs, then (Documents menu, Second Window, or Shift+Ctrl+W.
        >
        > Please, is it possible to lock them together so you can scroll them
        > together, and/or show the differences between them? I.e., a simple
        > built-in "diff" utility?
        >
        > --
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Robert Bull
        > mailto:barlennan@... <mailto:barlennan%40yahoo.co.uk>

      • Michael Gerholdt
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
          Agreed, WinMerge is a wonderful tool, free and effective.

          It takes commandline arguments also, which means you can build clips and
          launch it from NoteTab - though I've not yet done so. I just use it
          standalone, on a regular basis.

          http://manual.winmerge.org/Command_line.html

          On 26/08/2013 12:32 AM, Robert Bull wrote:

          > NTP can display two documents side by side by loading two documents in
          > separate tabs, then (Documents menu, Second Window, or Shift+Ctrl+W.
          >
          > Please, is it possible to lock them together so you can scroll them
          > together, and/or show the differences between them? I.e., a simple
          > built-in "diff" utility?
          >
          > --
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Robert Bull
          > mailto:barlennan@... <mailto:barlennan%40yahoo.co.uk>

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
            Hi Robert,

            Have you tried the "Compare two files" clip in the Utilities clip book that
            comes with NTPro? It compares two open documents and creates a third
            document with all the differences.

            I don't know whether it's possible to scroll two open documents
            simultaneously.

            HTH

            Ray Shapp
            ---

            On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > NTP can display two documents side by side by loading two documents in
            > separate tabs, then (Documents menu, Second Window, or Shift+Ctrl+W.
            >
            > Please, is it possible to lock them together so you can scroll them
            > together, and/or show the differences between them? I.e., a simple
            > built-in "diff" utility?
            >
            > --
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Robert Bull
            > mailto:barlennan@...
            >
            > __.
            > Switch to: Text-Only<ntb-clips-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
            > Daily Digest<ntb-clips-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>�
            > of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> � Send us Feedback
            > <ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback+on+the+redesigned+individual+mail+v1>
            > .

          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
              At 8/25/2013 09:32 AM, Robert wrote:
              >NTP can display two documents side by side by loading two documents in
              >separate tabs, then (Documents menu, Second Window, or Shift+Ctrl+W.
              >
              >Please, is it possible to lock them together so you can scroll them
              >together, and/or show the differences between them? I.e., a simple
              >built-in "diff" utility?

              To answer your question - No, it is not possible to lock the windows
              and , No there is no builtin compare engine in NTB. It IS something we have asked for multiple times but to no avail.

              The best app, bar none, to compare two files is Beyond Compare by Scooter software. It is smart, feature laden and its UI is so intuitive that one never needs a manual. It has modes for comparing text, images, binary, music, registry, html, et al - much more than just text. I've even seen it paraphrase html code and mark the difference as unimportant! Every time I think of something I think that it would be nice to have I find it is already there. It has a builtin text editor - no where near as extensive as NTB but adequate. Unfortunately, it is not freeware but worth it if you compare files frequently.

              For strictly comparing text, you could try the freeware app Win Merge.

              It would be fairly trivial to write a clip to invoke either one of these apps with your two open docs.

              Art
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
                I second ComparIt!. I do have clips to evoke it, and several other compare tools, but this is the only one that I use. For one
                thing, it has the ability to wrap text lines in paragraphs during the compare, so you don't have to scroll for miles off the screen
                to make comparisons on long lines. That alone is enough for me, since I compare actual text, rather than code, which tends to be
                shorter lines. I have also used it when NoteTab consumes itself, which has happened several times, in spite of the fact that it is
                not supposed to happen. (I now know how to force it to do so.) Nothing like being able to compare two 1.5M clip libraries, and
                choose what should be there and what should not be there.

                If anyone chooses to buy it, there is a 'coupon' code or discount for 25%. Use that, then you'll have the best compare tool you can
                ask for. It doesn't get updated - but it doesn't need it. In my RecipeClips system, it is set to compare the before with the after
                for every complete run. You can spot immediately when it does anything wrong, even a missed space, capitalized letter, a comma out
                of place, etc. I have tried them all, even paid ones, and nothing even comes close for the kind of text that I work with.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
                  On Monday, August 26, 2013, 11:35:39 PM, Art Kocsis wrote:

                  AK> To answer your question - No, it is not possible to lock the
                  AK> windows and , No there is no builtin compare engine in NTB. It IS
                  AK> something we have asked for multiple times but to no avail.

                  It's a feature included in VDE, my favourite DOS editor from way back!
                  Strange how Windows software takes so long to catch up. But I seem to
                  remember VDE's author saying that with Windows, a programmer spends
                  more time interacting with the OS than solving the problem they had in
                  the first place. However, I find freeware TED Notepad
                  http://www.jsimlo.sk/notepad/ has a mode to compare two phrases
                  (rather than files), and EmEditor http://www.emeditor.com/ has a
                  fairly extensive file "diff" feature.

                  AK> The best app, bar none, to compare two files is Beyond Compare by
                  AK> Scooter software. It is smart, feature laden and its UI is so
                  AK> intuitive that one never needs a manual. It has modes for
                  AK> comparing text, images, binary, music, registry, html, et al -

                  I already have a license for a recent but non-current version of
                  ExamDiff Pro, http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiffpro.asp It
                  compares PDFs, DOC, etc., by using plug-ins to converting them to
                  text, then comparing the text. This is a bit hit or miss, depending
                  on the plug-ins. I don't know how its competitors work.

                  Thanks to you and others for suggestions of WinMerge, CompareIt! etc.

                  AK> It would be fairly trivial to write a clip to invoke either one of
                  AK> these apps with your two open docs.

                  That's what I may try to do. I dislike delving into NTP's manual; it
                  always seems harder than it should be to find things, a result of the
                  feature-richness of the program, perhaps. I hope there's a way to pick
                  up the files in different tabs to use as command-line arguments.

                  --
                  Thanks,

                  Robert Bull
                  mailto:barlennan@...
                • Robert Bull
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
                    On Monday, August 26, 2013, 11:01:41 PM, Ray Shapp wrote:

                    RS> Have you tried the "Compare two files" clip in the Utilities clip
                    RS> book that comes with NTPro? It compares two open documents and

                    I'd seen it, but disregarded it, because I thought the Microsoft "FC"
                    utility it uses was too simple-minded for what I wanted. In fact it
                    turns out to be better than I thought, but I'd prefer something better
                    still.

                    --
                    Thanks,

                    Robert Bull
                    mailto:barlennan@...
                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
                      I would be happy to share my code with you privately, but it may be overkill for you. I set up everything in advance in variables,
                      then issue the command to run the diff tool using those variables, and hold Notetab at bay until the diff tool is closed. The
                      variables are based on the name of the primary open document, some processing takes place, a new document is created, and the diff
                      tool compares the two. Everything is automatic, you don't lift a finger until you see the results in the diff tool to see if you
                      like what the clip library has done. I must say, I have gotten so used to this method, that I often don't even look at the output
                      file separately - CompareIt shows me exactly what I need to see. My work isn't with code, but with recipes.