Text Color in NTP v7?

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
      To all,

      I posted this question in the NT-Basic group four days ago but didn't get
      any response.

      Does version 7 of NT-Pro allow rendering several selected areas of text in
      specified colors? IOW, in certain documents, I would like to display some
      lines of text in red, some in blue, some in green, some in black, etc.
      Currently, in version 6.2/fv, I use square brackets (hyperlink) to render
      some text in blue. The rest is default black. I would like to show up to
      six different colors in a single document.

      Thanks for the info.

      Ray Shapp
      ---

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
        ray Shapp wrote:
        > Does version 7 of NT-Pro allow rendering several selected
        > areas of text in specified colors?

        No difference between 6.2 and 7 here.
        There is a promise of configurable highlighting to come some time, so
        that languages apart from HTML can be supported (TeX for me), but so
        far no date has been given.

        Axel
      • Robert Bull
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
          On Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 8:58:23 AM, Ray Shapp wrote:

          RS> Does version 7 of NT-Pro allow rendering several selected areas of
          RS> text in specified colors? IOW, in certain documents, I would like
          RS> to display some lines of text in red, some in blue, some in green,
          RS> some in black, etc.

          Not that I know of. Are you wanting colour syntax highlighting, or
          something else? If the former, you might try one of the various
          freeware text editors like Crimson Editor or NotepadPlusPlus. If the
          latter, you might like an RTF word processor like Jarte or Polyedit
          (there's still a free version) or even WordPad. But then you're
          looking at RTF, not plain text any more.

          Robert Bull
          mailto:barlennan@...
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
            Thank you Axel and Robert.

            I don't need syntax highlighting. The text files are simple event logs -
            one event per line. I'm currently using WordPad to highlight several
            categories of events when I make my initial eyeball of the files. I then go
            back to see it the events of a given color are related. Thanks for the
            suggestions about Crimson Editor or NotepadPlusPlus.

            Regards.

            Ray Shapp
            ---

            On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > On Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 8:58:23 AM, Ray Shapp wrote:
            >
            > RS> Does version 7 of NT-Pro allow rendering several selected areas of
            > RS> text in specified colors? IOW, in certain documents, I would like
            > RS> to display some lines of text in red, some in blue, some in green,
            > RS> some in black, etc.
            >
            > Not that I know of. Are you wanting colour syntax highlighting, or
            > something else? If the former, you might try one of the various
            > freeware text editors like Crimson Editor or NotepadPlusPlus. If the
            > latter, you might like an RTF word processor like Jarte or Polyedit
            > (there's still a free version) or even WordPad. But then you're
            > looking at RTF, not plain text any more.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Robert Bull
            > mailto:barlennan@...

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
              Sounds like you could use Excel - it allows you to sort by color, and changing color is a snap.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
                Ray Shapp wrote:
                > I don't need syntax highlighting.

                You misunderstand. Configurable syntax highlighting isn't limited to
                syntax in the strict sense.

                Johann-H├Ąck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2013
                  Hi Axel and John,

                  Thanks for your replies.

                  <<Sounds like you could use Excel >>

                  Excel is a big hammer for such a small tack.

                  <<Configurable syntax highlighting isn't limited to syntax in the strict
                  > sense.>>

                  There's nothing to configure - just a log file with details of one event
                  per line. The form and content of the lines can vary in a very large number
                  of ways. Each log has about 200 - 300 lines.

                  WordPad will suit me until I evaluate Crimson Editor or NotepadPlusPlus as
                  suggested earlier. My original question was about a possible color text
                  feature in NotePro version 7. I'll be upgrading to version 7 soon.

                  Thank you for your suggestions. This thread isn't about clips, therefore,
                  if you want to continue, it would be better to do so by replying to my
                  original message on the ntb-Basic group.

                  Regards,

                  Ray Shapp
                  ---