Re: [Clip] Comparing with a space

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
      Art Kocsis wrote:
      > At this stage the help files should be your constant companion
      > and a good part of your leisure reading.

      Apart from a few basic standards even now I rarely type commands and
      functions but copy them from the help file just to make sure I get the
      syntax exactly right. At my age I have to.

      Axel
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
        Hi Jean-Francois:
        Art and Axel gave you the hint but just to be explicit - in Help - Help
        on clip programming:
        I searched for "empty" w/o quotes. ^%empty% won't work because the Help
        search function is kind of lame in its treatment of special characters.

        First entry is Variables and half way down that page is the list you are
        searching for.
        btw: Favorites in the Help file is useful. I keep just two entries there
        - Find / Replace Text and Variables because these are the two I
        frequently find myself rechecking for exact details. :-)

        On 2013-07-19 11:39, Jean-Fran├žois Colas wrote:
        > Thanks, with the ^%Space% and quoting I finally got it.
        >
        > You said:
        > > the built-in predefined variables (^%empty%, ^%space%, ^%nl%, etc),
        >
        > Where can I complete the etc ?
      • loro
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
          Alec wrote:
          >I searched for "empty" w/o quotes. ^%empty% won't work because the Help
          >search function is kind of lame in its treatment of special characters.

          As Jody used to tell us frequently use the Index tab, not the Search
          one for commands, functions and the like. It works.

          Lotta
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
            At 7/19/2013 02:40 PM, Axel wrote:
            >Art Kocsis wrote:
            >> At this stage the help files should be your constant companion
            >> and a good part of your leisure reading.
            >
            >Apart from a few basic standards even now I rarely type commands and
            >functions but copy them from the help file just to make sure I get the
            >syntax exactly right. At my age I have to.

            Heh. Putting age and stage in the same message reminds me of the old joke about the stages of a man's life.

            Yeah, I know only too well what you mean. However, given the shortcomings of the Help search function, I made single alphabetical lists of the commands and functions with short syntax descriptions and put them right in my cliplib. Makes for much easier searches since they're listed alphabetically and, if necessary, Notetab's search is available and is much better than the help search. It is easy to maintain - simple resort, is handy as it opens whenever I open the cliplib, and I can annotate it with tips, tricks and gotchas.

            Art

            BTW Alec, I deliberately left out the explicit instructions for the help file on the theory that it is necessary/beneficial to learn how to learn.
          • Don
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
              I use Sheri's clip help or whatever it is called ... so it does the
              syntax for me. Love it. If you type the word it does the finding.