Comparing with a space

  • Jean-François Colas
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18 8:20 AM
      Hello List,

      I'm sorry if the question seems a bit "trivial", but I can't find the
      way to compare the cursor position with a space. If I would like to
      compare with a dash, I would write:
      ^!If -=^$GetChar$ GoFurther
      But it seems more tricky to compare with a space or a tab. Probably I'm
      missing a little syntax element...

      Thanks,
      J.-F.
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 18 11:41 AM
        At 7/18/2013 08:20 AM, J.-F. wrote:
        >Hello List,
        >
        >I'm sorry if the question seems a bit "trivial", but I can't find the
        >way to compare the cursor position with a space. If I would like to
        >compare with a dash, I would write:
        >^!If -=^$GetChar$ GoFurther
        >But it seems more tricky to compare with a space or a tab. Probably I'm
        >missing a little syntax element...

        The easiest way is to simply enclose your operands in quotes:

        ^!If " "="^$GetChar$" GoFurther

        but for better visibility and reliability, it is better to use the built-in predefined variables (^%empty%, ^%space%, ^%nl%, etc), for special characters such as these:

        ^!If "^%empty%"="^$GetChar$" GoFurther

        In addition, make a habit of enclosing text strings in quotes.

        Art
      • Jean-François Colas
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 19 8:39 AM
          Hello Art,

          Thanks, with the ^%Space% and quoting I finally got it.

          You said:
          > the built-in predefined variables (^%empty%, ^%space%, ^%nl%, etc),

          Where can I complete the etc ?

          Regards,
          J.-F.

          Le 18/07/2013 20:41, Art Kocsis a écrit :
          > At 7/18/2013 08:20 AM, J.-F. wrote:
          >> Hello List,
          >>
          >> I'm sorry if the question seems a bit "trivial", but I can't find the
          >> way to compare the cursor position with a space. If I would like to
          >> compare with a dash, I would write:
          >> ^!If -=^$GetChar$ GoFurther
          >> But it seems more tricky to compare with a space or a tab. Probably I'm
          >> missing a little syntax element...
          >
          > The easiest way is to simply enclose your operands in quotes:
          >
          > ^!If " "="^$GetChar$" GoFurther
          >
          > but for better visibility and reliability, it is better to use the built-in predefined variables (^%empty%, ^%space%, ^%nl%, etc), for special characters such as these:
          >
          > ^!If "^%empty%"="^$GetChar$" GoFurther
          >
          > In addition, make a habit of enclosing text strings in quotes.
          >
          > Art

        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 19 2:26 PM
            At 7/19/2013 08:39 AM, you wrote:
            >Hello Art,
            >Thanks, with the ^%Space% and quoting I finally got it.
            >You said:
            >> the built-in predefined variables (^%empty%, ^%space%, ^%nl%, etc),
            >Where can I complete the etc ?

            At this stage the help files should be your constant companion and a good part of your leisure reading.

            Art
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 19 2:40 PM
              Art Kocsis wrote:
              > At this stage the help files should be your constant companion
              > and a good part of your leisure reading.

              Apart from a few basic standards even now I rarely type commands and
              functions but copy them from the help file just to make sure I get the
              syntax exactly right. At my age I have to.

              Axel
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 19 4:57 PM
                Hi Jean-Francois:
                Art and Axel gave you the hint but just to be explicit - in Help - Help
                on clip programming:
                I searched for "empty" w/o quotes. ^%empty% won't work because the Help
                search function is kind of lame in its treatment of special characters.

                First entry is Variables and half way down that page is the list you are
                searching for.
                btw: Favorites in the Help file is useful. I keep just two entries there
                - Find / Replace Text and Variables because these are the two I
                frequently find myself rechecking for exact details. :-)

                On 2013-07-19 11:39, Jean-François Colas wrote:
                > Thanks, with the ^%Space% and quoting I finally got it.
                >
                > You said:
                > > the built-in predefined variables (^%empty%, ^%space%, ^%nl%, etc),
                >
                > Where can I complete the etc ?
              • loro
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 19 5:16 PM
                  Alec wrote:
                  >I searched for "empty" w/o quotes. ^%empty% won't work because the Help
                  >search function is kind of lame in its treatment of special characters.

                  As Jody used to tell us frequently use the Index tab, not the Search
                  one for commands, functions and the like. It works.

                  Lotta
                • Art Kocsis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 19 5:45 PM
                    At 7/19/2013 02:40 PM, Axel wrote:
                    >Art Kocsis wrote:
                    >> At this stage the help files should be your constant companion
                    >> and a good part of your leisure reading.
                    >
                    >Apart from a few basic standards even now I rarely type commands and
                    >functions but copy them from the help file just to make sure I get the
                    >syntax exactly right. At my age I have to.

                    Heh. Putting age and stage in the same message reminds me of the old joke about the stages of a man's life.

                    Yeah, I know only too well what you mean. However, given the shortcomings of the Help search function, I made single alphabetical lists of the commands and functions with short syntax descriptions and put them right in my cliplib. Makes for much easier searches since they're listed alphabetically and, if necessary, Notetab's search is available and is much better than the help search. It is easy to maintain - simple resort, is handy as it opens whenever I open the cliplib, and I can annotate it with tips, tricks and gotchas.

                    Art

                    BTW Alec, I deliberately left out the explicit instructions for the help file on the theory that it is necessary/beneficial to learn how to learn.
                  • Don
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 19 6:05 PM
                      I use Sheri's clip help or whatever it is called ... so it does the
                      syntax for me. Love it. If you type the word it does the finding.