Re: [Clip] RE: [NTB] Need help with replacing tabs in text file!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2013
      John Shotsky wrote:
      > Tabs:
      > ^!Replace "\t" >> "" ARSW
      > ^!IfError Next Else Skip_-1
      >
      > Not clear what you want to do with the double quotes, but you have
      > to escape them like [\"] if you want to do something with them.

      Sorry, John, wrong. In a Replace command the quotes around terms are
      required and the double quote is the way to write "nothing", i.e.
      delete.
      The IfError is superfluous here, The All in Whole document is guranteed
      to get them all in one go. There are sitiuations where Find terms can
      overlap. Then you need to give it another go to be sure, but not here.

      Axel
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9 8:59 AM
        Axel,
        Meant to respond much sooner, but lost track.
        Anyway, I don't know what you meant about the double quotes, I included them in my regex, as I always do. Maybe it was something in
        the original source that you're referring to, but as I used them, we are only looking for the tabs. I never write any clips without
        the double quotes, and almost every new clip is created from copying another one and only changing what is necessary.
        And, for single characters, you are right about the loop, but most of the time, I�m not doing single characters, and without the
        loop, it won't go back and repeat the process on that same line if needed. So, you are right that it is not necessary in this case,
        but it also does no harm, and it is a habit that I find easier to remember than leaving it out and then troubleshooting, only to
        discover I left out the loop.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9 11:26 AM
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > I don't know what you meant about the double quotes,

          Rightly so, I falsely read your own (correct) Command as a quote and
          applied your comment about
          the need to escape quotes to it. I didn't see the real quote because you
          top posted.

          My mistake, ignore the remark where I insisted your own correct Command
          was indeed correct.