RE: [Clip] Help with variables

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
      Thanks for the ideas but�

      I want to create a variable from another variable that has the same ending on each entity in the new variable. I know how to do it
      outside the variable, and that's exactly what I don't want to do. I want two variables that I can call upon for whatever need I
      happen to have. I only want one list of the entities, so I don't have to try to keep two of them in sync. The two variables have the
      same content except that the plural one has s? at the end of each entity inside the variable. I need the code to create the new
      variable, not a different solution to the problem. In fact, I have been doing it the external way for a long time - but it becomes
      cumbersome at times, and having a single variable to suit a given purpose works far more efficiently.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
        Like I said at the outset, I don't get what you want to do exactly and
        it doesn't become clearer to me with repeat of the same.

        I don't think you mean that you want to add s? to the end of each, but
        maybe you do since that is what you said.

        ^!Set %animal%="cat|rat|dog"
        ^!Set %animals%=^$StrReplace("|";"s?|";"^%animal%";False;False)$s?

        Seems to do what you claim you want to do. I am happy to help of
        course, but solving a problem that *I* don't find clearly stated ...
        we'll then I'm guessing at answers.

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
          Yes, that is what I needed. I just didn't understand how to do it. Interesting bit on that last one, that is the one that I just
          could not figure out.
          ^!Set %animal%="cat|rat|dog"
          ^!Set %animals%=^$StrReplace("|";"s?|";"^%animal%";False;False)$s?

          I might even add \b to each item to prevent false captures and not need to write it out explicitly in each clip that uses it. As you
          can see, I am trying to get as much functionality out of variables as I can, so I can cut down on the code I have to write each time
          the variable is used. I have several other such variables that all need the same functionality added.

          Thanks,

          Like I said at the outset, I don't get what you want to do exactly and
          it doesn't become clearer to me with repeat of the same.

          I don't think you mean that you want to add s? to the end of each, but
          maybe you do since that is what you said.

          ^!Set %animal%="cat|rat|dog"
          ^!Set %animals%=^$StrReplace("|";"s?|";"^%animal%";False;False)$s?

          Seems to do what you claim you want to do. I am happy to help of
          course, but solving a problem that *I* don't find clearly stated ...
          we'll then I'm guessing at answers.

          On 6/10/2013 2:54 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
          > Thanks for the ideas but…
          >
          > I want to create a variable from another variable that has the same ending on each entity in the new variable. I know how to do it
          > outside the variable, and that's exactly what I don't want to do. I want two variables that I can call upon for whatever need I
          > happen to have. I only want one list of the entities, so I don't have to try to keep two of them in sync. The two variables have
          the
          > same content except that the plural one has s? at the end of each entity inside the variable. I need the code to create the new
          > variable, not a different solution to the problem. In fact, I have been doing it the external way for a long time - but it becomes
          > cumbersome at times, and having a single variable to suit a given purpose works far more efficiently.
          >
          > Regards,
          > John

        • Eb
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
            John,

            If you use a wizard to establish quantity, you could simply set a variable to contain nothing (single), an s (multiple), or 's?':

            ;inside the loop:
            ^!Set %Q%=^?{Process==singles^=|Multiples^=s|Both^=s?}
            ^!Replace "(^%animal%^%Q%\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS

            I don't know if the wizard will handle the '?' properly.

            By the way, "cat|rat|dog" ?! Are you working on recipies for roadkill <grin>?

            Cheers,

            Eb

            > Thanks for the ideas but…

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
              I can't use a wizard, there are literally hundreds of places these variables are used. All I'm trying to do is get the intelligence
              into the variable, so I don't have to type it into each use. I want to just use the variable, without having to type a bunch of
              qualifiers around them each time they are used. When my tool runs, there are no wizards popping up or other info type dialogs. It
              just runs to completion.

              It's bad enough that I have to go through my whole 1.5M library and replace all my current variable usages with the new variable
              names and without the qualifiers�there are sometimes three variables used in one clip. Originally, I didn't even use variables, and
              had to remember to type in each group using alternation. Then I got half-way smart and switched to variables. Now, I want smart
              variables, again cutting down on typing.

              Here is one current line: Don't worry about what it does, it just shows usage of variables.
              ^!Replace "([\d\.~]+[- ])(^%MetricUnits%) \(?([\d\.~]+[- ])(^%SUnits%)(s)?\b\)?" >> "$3$4$5 ($1$2)" ARSW
              With the new variable usage, it will be:
              ^!Replace "([\d\.~]+[- ])(^%MetricUnits%) \(?([\d\.~]+[- ])(^%Units%)\)?" >> "$3$4 ($1$2)" ARSW
              It might not look like a lot of improvement, but multiply it by hundreds of times, and it becomes more significant. Not having to
              remember the 's' and the '\b' makes it much easier to write and understand, too.

              Road kill�.funny. But I do handle pet food recipes� J

              If you use a wizard to establish quantity, you could simply set a variable to contain nothing (single), an s (multiple), or 's?':

              ;inside the loop:
              ^!Set %Q%=^?{Process==singles^=|Multiples^=s|Both^=s?}
              ^!Replace "(^%animal%^%Q%\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS

              I don't know if the wizard will handle the '?' properly.

              By the way, "cat|rat|dog" ?! Are you working on recipies for roadkill <grin>?

              Cheers,

              Eb

              > Thanks for the ideas but�

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                John: interesting problem which it looks like Don may have answered (below)
                .. but ... what do you do about mouse/mice goose/geese etc ... or do
                they not get involved in your recipe-space.

                if you have rats I'd thing you'd need mice :-)

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                  You'll probably laugh, but I convert them to mouses, gooses, etc until near the end, and then, if it's plural, I substitute the
                  correct term. Foot, feet, loaf, loaves leaf leaves, etc. All become foots, loafs, leafs during the clip run, then at the end I use
                  the plural term, if present, to convert to the correct word.