Re: [Clip] Help with variables

  • Don
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
      Not sure what you are trying to do John, but regex is your friend.
      ^!Set %animal%="(cat|rat|dog)(s?)"
      ;uncomment find or replace
      ;^!Find "^%animal%" CIRS
      ;or
      ^!Replace "^%animal%" >> "*$1$2*" RAWH

      On 6/10/2013 11:10 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
      > I would like some ideas for how to handle the following issue efficiently.
      >
      > I set a variable called %animal%
      > In that variable, I store cat|dog|rat, all without parens or plurals.
      >
      > I would like to keep that variable, because there are times it needs to work only on singular animals, but I want another variable
      > that includes the singular word with ['s?] added to it, so it will capture both the singular and plural words.
      >
      > So, one variable would be cat|dog|rat
      > And the second would be made from the first one by adding [s?] to each term.
      > cats?|dogs?|rats?
      >
      > I have tried various ways to implement this and haven't found a satisfactory way. The reason I need this is so that the plural term
      > is always captured if present as when ^%animals% is used. I know I need to substitute [%s|] for each vertical bar, but it needs one
      > on the last term too. Any ideas for how to form this variable correctly? (I guess I could form a fake term, like zzzzz for the last
      > one, but I'd still like to know how to do it right.)
      >
      > Here's a test phrase:
      > The cats play with the dogs. The rat chases the cat. The dog chases the rats.
      >
      > ^%animal% should find only singular as in (^%animal%)\b
      > But (^%animals%) should capture both singular and plural and never miss an 's' if present.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > John Shotsky

    • Don
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
        Maybe add the S for silent, delete the H for selection? Add an I for
        case insensitive?

        You can tweak it to however you like.

        I remember before I understood anything about regex ... now I almost
        never do a non-regex search. What power.

        On 6/10/2013 12:25 PM, Don wrote:
        > Not sure what you are trying to do John, but regex is your friend.
        > ^!Set %animal%="(cat|rat|dog)(s?)"
        > ;uncomment find or replace
        > ;^!Find "^%animal%" CIRS
        > ;or
        > ^!Replace "^%animal%" >> "*$1$2*" RAWH
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
          I need a way to find ONLY the singular version in one case, and I need to find any version in the other case.

          So, the task is to get the [s?] INTO each element of the second variable itself, not outside it. I realize I can also place parens
          around the whole thing and treat it as one item, but that gets confusing when you have lots of numbered captures to sort out. Simply
          put, I want to use (^%animal%)\b when I'm looking for the singular version, and (^%animals%)\b when I don't care which it is. But I
          only want to have to enter all the animal names once, for the singular version of the variable. I just don't know how to do the
          replaces inside the variable. That's why I asked.

          Not sure what you are trying to do John, but regex is your friend.
          ^!Set %animal%="(cat|rat|dog)(s?)"
          ;uncomment find or replace
          ;^!Find "^%animal%" CIRS
          ;or
          ^!Replace "^%animal%" >> "*$1$2*" RAWH

          On 6/10/2013 11:10 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
          > I would like some ideas for how to handle the following issue efficiently.
          >
          > I set a variable called %animal%
          > In that variable, I store cat|dog|rat, all without parens or plurals.
          >
          > I would like to keep that variable, because there are times it needs to work only on singular animals, but I want another variable
          > that includes the singular word with ['s?] added to it, so it will capture both the singular and plural words.
          >
          > So, one variable would be cat|dog|rat
          > And the second would be made from the first one by adding [s?] to each term.
          > cats?|dogs?|rats?
          >
          > I have tried various ways to implement this and haven't found a satisfactory way. The reason I need this is so that the plural
          term
          > is always captured if present as when ^%animals% is used. I know I need to substitute [%s|] for each vertical bar, but it needs
          one
          > on the last term too. Any ideas for how to form this variable correctly? (I guess I could form a fake term, like zzzzz for the
          last
          > one, but I'd still like to know how to do it right.)
          >
          > Here's a test phrase:
          > The cats play with the dogs. The rat chases the cat. The dog chases the rats.
          >
          > ^%animal% should find only singular as in (^%animal%)\b
          > But (^%animals%) should capture both singular and plural and never miss an 's' if present.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > John Shotsky

        • Don
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
            Still not sure I follow ... but okay, just ask for what you want to match:
            ^!Set %animal%="(cat|rat|dog)"
            :start_loop
            ^!Set %singular%=^?{(T=L,H=5) Singular==_Singular Only^=1|Plural
            Only^=2|Both^=3}
            ^!If "^%singular%" = "1" single
            ^!If "^%singular%" = "2" plural
            ^!If "^%singular%" = "3" both
            ^!Goto start_loop

            :single
            ^!Replace "(^%animal%\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS
            ^!Goto start_loop

            :plural
            ^!Replace "(^%animal%s\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS
            ^!Goto start_loop

            :both
            ^!Replace "(^%animal%s?\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS
            ^!Goto start_loop

            On 6/10/2013 12:45 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
            > I need a way to find ONLY the singular version in one case, and I need to find any version in the other case.
            >
            > So, the task is to get the [s?] INTO each element of the second variable itself, not outside it. I realize I can also place parens
            > around the whole thing and treat it as one item, but that gets confusing when you have lots of numbered captures to sort out. Simply
            > put, I want to use (^%animal%)\b when I'm looking for the singular version, and (^%animals%)\b when I don't care which it is. But I
            > only want to have to enter all the animal names once, for the singular version of the variable. I just don't know how to do the
            > replaces inside the variable. That's why I asked.
            >
            > Regards,
            > John
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
              Thanks for the ideas but�

              I want to create a variable from another variable that has the same ending on each entity in the new variable. I know how to do it
              outside the variable, and that's exactly what I don't want to do. I want two variables that I can call upon for whatever need I
              happen to have. I only want one list of the entities, so I don't have to try to keep two of them in sync. The two variables have the
              same content except that the plural one has s? at the end of each entity inside the variable. I need the code to create the new
              variable, not a different solution to the problem. In fact, I have been doing it the external way for a long time - but it becomes
              cumbersome at times, and having a single variable to suit a given purpose works far more efficiently.

              Still not sure I follow ... but okay, just ask for what you want to match:
              ^!Set %animal%="(cat|rat|dog)"
              :start_loop
              ^!Set %singular%=^?{(T=L,H=5) Singular==_Singular Only^=1|Plural
              Only^=2|Both^=3}
              ^!If "^%singular%" = "1" single
              ^!If "^%singular%" = "2" plural
              ^!If "^%singular%" = "3" both
              ^!Goto start_loop

              :single
              ^!Replace "(^%animal%\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS
              ^!Goto start_loop

              :plural
              ^!Replace "(^%animal%s\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS
              ^!Goto start_loop

              :both
              ^!Replace "(^%animal%s?\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS
              ^!Goto start_loop

              On 6/10/2013 12:45 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
              > I need a way to find ONLY the singular version in one case, and I need to find any version in the other case.
              >
              > So, the task is to get the [s?] INTO each element of the second variable itself, not outside it. I realize I can also place parens
              > around the whole thing and treat it as one item, but that gets confusing when you have lots of numbered captures to sort out.
              Simply
              > put, I want to use (^%animal%)\b when I'm looking for the singular version, and (^%animals%)\b when I don't care which it is. But
              > only want to have to enter all the animal names once, for the singular version of the variable. I just don't know how to do the
              > replaces inside the variable. That's why I asked.
              >
              > Regards,
              > John

            • Don
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                Like I said at the outset, I don't get what you want to do exactly and
                it doesn't become clearer to me with repeat of the same.

                I don't think you mean that you want to add s? to the end of each, but
                maybe you do since that is what you said.

                ^!Set %animal%="cat|rat|dog"
                ^!Set %animals%=^$StrReplace("|";"s?|";"^%animal%";False;False)$s?

                Seems to do what you claim you want to do. I am happy to help of
                course, but solving a problem that *I* don't find clearly stated ...
                we'll then I'm guessing at answers.

              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                  Yes, that is what I needed. I just didn't understand how to do it. Interesting bit on that last one, that is the one that I just
                  could not figure out.
                  ^!Set %animal%="cat|rat|dog"
                  ^!Set %animals%=^$StrReplace("|";"s?|";"^%animal%";False;False)$s?

                  I might even add \b to each item to prevent false captures and not need to write it out explicitly in each clip that uses it. As you
                  can see, I am trying to get as much functionality out of variables as I can, so I can cut down on the code I have to write each time
                  the variable is used. I have several other such variables that all need the same functionality added.

                  Thanks,

                  Like I said at the outset, I don't get what you want to do exactly and
                  it doesn't become clearer to me with repeat of the same.

                  I don't think you mean that you want to add s? to the end of each, but
                  maybe you do since that is what you said.

                  ^!Set %animal%="cat|rat|dog"
                  ^!Set %animals%=^$StrReplace("|";"s?|";"^%animal%";False;False)$s?

                  Seems to do what you claim you want to do. I am happy to help of
                  course, but solving a problem that *I* don't find clearly stated ...
                  we'll then I'm guessing at answers.

                  On 6/10/2013 2:54 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                  > Thanks for the ideas but…
                  >
                  > I want to create a variable from another variable that has the same ending on each entity in the new variable. I know how to do it
                  > outside the variable, and that's exactly what I don't want to do. I want two variables that I can call upon for whatever need I
                  > happen to have. I only want one list of the entities, so I don't have to try to keep two of them in sync. The two variables have
                  the
                  > same content except that the plural one has s? at the end of each entity inside the variable. I need the code to create the new
                  > variable, not a different solution to the problem. In fact, I have been doing it the external way for a long time - but it becomes
                  > cumbersome at times, and having a single variable to suit a given purpose works far more efficiently.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > John

                • Eb
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                    John,

                    If you use a wizard to establish quantity, you could simply set a variable to contain nothing (single), an s (multiple), or 's?':

                    ;inside the loop:
                    ^!Set %Q%=^?{Process==singles^=|Multiples^=s|Both^=s?}
                    ^!Replace "(^%animal%^%Q%\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS

                    I don't know if the wizard will handle the '?' properly.

                    By the way, "cat|rat|dog" ?! Are you working on recipies for roadkill <grin>?

                    Cheers,

                    Eb

                    > Thanks for the ideas but…

                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                      I can't use a wizard, there are literally hundreds of places these variables are used. All I'm trying to do is get the intelligence
                      into the variable, so I don't have to type it into each use. I want to just use the variable, without having to type a bunch of
                      qualifiers around them each time they are used. When my tool runs, there are no wizards popping up or other info type dialogs. It
                      just runs to completion.

                      It's bad enough that I have to go through my whole 1.5M library and replace all my current variable usages with the new variable
                      names and without the qualifiers�there are sometimes three variables used in one clip. Originally, I didn't even use variables, and
                      had to remember to type in each group using alternation. Then I got half-way smart and switched to variables. Now, I want smart
                      variables, again cutting down on typing.

                      Here is one current line: Don't worry about what it does, it just shows usage of variables.
                      ^!Replace "([\d\.~]+[- ])(^%MetricUnits%) \(?([\d\.~]+[- ])(^%SUnits%)(s)?\b\)?" >> "$3$4$5 ($1$2)" ARSW
                      With the new variable usage, it will be:
                      ^!Replace "([\d\.~]+[- ])(^%MetricUnits%) \(?([\d\.~]+[- ])(^%Units%)\)?" >> "$3$4 ($1$2)" ARSW
                      It might not look like a lot of improvement, but multiply it by hundreds of times, and it becomes more significant. Not having to
                      remember the 's' and the '\b' makes it much easier to write and understand, too.

                      Road kill�.funny. But I do handle pet food recipes� J

                      If you use a wizard to establish quantity, you could simply set a variable to contain nothing (single), an s (multiple), or 's?':

                      ;inside the loop:
                      ^!Set %Q%=^?{Process==singles^=|Multiples^=s|Both^=s?}
                      ^!Replace "(^%animal%^%Q%\b)" >> "*$1*" RWAIS

                      I don't know if the wizard will handle the '?' properly.

                      By the way, "cat|rat|dog" ?! Are you working on recipies for roadkill <grin>?

                      Cheers,

                      Eb

                      > Thanks for the ideas but�

                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                        John: interesting problem which it looks like Don may have answered (below)
                        .. but ... what do you do about mouse/mice goose/geese etc ... or do
                        they not get involved in your recipe-space.

                        if you have rats I'd thing you'd need mice :-)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                          You'll probably laugh, but I convert them to mouses, gooses, etc until near the end, and then, if it's plural, I substitute the
                          correct term. Foot, feet, loaf, loaves leaf leaves, etc. All become foots, loafs, leafs during the clip run, then at the end I use
                          the plural term, if present, to convert to the correct word.