Re: How to change email clip/prog. settings

  • helvetica_switzerland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2013
      Hi Alec
      (Sorry for the late reply and thanks, I've been awfully busy).
      The clip which I have been using until now asks me for the information e.g. Price to pay, order number, name of customer, concert name, number of tickets, send by post or deposit for pickup. It then sets out an email itself plus, separately, an extra long line which is the paypal payment link. It is this line which requires the email to be sent in html format.
      (such a line is <https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=myPaypaladdress&amount=47.60¤cy_code=CHF&item_name=84122%20Bloggs%20Joe%201x%20Alice Cooper&shipping=0&pbtype=service&bn=paywiz0105xx-sx%3E>
      So when I copy the email which my clip has compiled, I copy it into Tbird in html mode and use Add link to add the above Payment link.

      But I will certainly try your method. I'm not quite sure how to make and save multiple emails though, do I just change the recipient's email address etc. each time and save it then do it again with the next one (your steps 2 and 2b)?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2013
        helvetica_switzerland wrote:
        > It is this line which requires the email to be sent in html format.

        Nearly all mail readers I am aware of recognise the "http://..." in pure
        text mails and allow clicking it. All the rest allow copying and
        pasting. If the recipient is too dense to eliminate newlines, then he's
        too stupid to be allowed unsupervised mailing.

        HTML on the other hand easily allows constructs like
        <A
        HREF="http://my.phishing.site/">http://your.trustworthy.bank/start.php</A>
        and a shockingly large number of mail users are not aware of the fact.
        In fact forbidding any HTML in incoming mail makes your life very much
        safer.

        So, no, your link does NOT require you to use HTML, quite the opposite,
        though I agree that many recipients are going to expect it.