Re: [Clip] Re: Twos and Threes

  • Adrian Worsfold
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26, 2013
      Hello Flo

      This is incredible: indeed yes it is what is wanted.

      ^!Replace "^.*\b(HL|SF|LS|CC|HW|HF|NB)\b.*$" >> "\r\n$0\r\n" WARS
      ^!Replace "\R{3}" >> "\r\n" WARS
      ^!Replace "^\A\R|\R{1,}\Z" >> "" WARS

      How do you actually explain such lines? The point about code with loops and all that is you go down the list and follow the logic, once you've pulled hair out via the Help pages ( "Grr, give an example of how you write it!" is what I say there) or seen how other clips do it and got the code lines to work. Often the practical way is clips that follow menus and those keyboard macros that are somewhat sluggish and unreliable.

      I've looked at the regex pages and notions such as "greedy" mean nothing to me.

      Once again many thanks are due.

      Adrian Worsfold

      http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      http://pluralistspeaks.blogspot.com
      pluralist@...
      26-05-2013
      From: flo.gehrke
      Receiver: ntb-clips
      Time: 2013-05-26, 13:21:33
      Subject: [Clip] Re: Twos and Threes

    • flo.gehrke
      Message 2 of 10 , May 26, 2013
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Worsfold"<pluralist@...> wrote:

        > ^!Replace "^.*\b(HL|SF|LS|CC|HW|HF|NB)\b.*$" >> "\r\n$0\r\n" WARS
        > etc...

        How do you actually explain such lines?

        Adrian,

        Let me just give you an explanation for the first command line:

        Find '^.*\b(HL|SF|LS|CC|HW|HF|NB)\b.*$'...
        ^ = start of line
        .* = any character (except NL), zero or more times
        \b = word boundary (between word character and non-word character)
        (HL|...|NB) = alternation (a OR b OR c etc)
        \b = another word boundary
        .* = again any character till...
        $ = end of line

        And replace with...
        \r\n = CRNL
        $0 = the whole match
        \r\n = another CRNL

        From a stricter point of view, one would write:

        ^.+?\b(?:HL|SF|LS|CC|HW|HF|NB)\b.+$

        This is a bit more efficient though, with a few lines, one would hardly notice the difference. At the start of each line, we see at least one character being different from '(HL|...|NB)'. So it makes no sense to search for 'zero'. It's the same condition at end of lines where we've got time data.

        Since there's nothing to store, the alternation could be defined as non-capturing with '?:'. So you may want to replace the RegEx in the above mentioned command line with this better version.

        > Once again many thanks are due.

        It's been a pleasure! It keeps me in practice. I also like the precise requirements you are posting, and the good feedback you give including a full view of what comes out in the end.

        Regards,
        Flo
      • Adrian Worsfold
        Message 3 of 10 , May 26, 2013
          Hello Flo (and others)

          I made a feature of these requirements on my blog too, and has concerned the last four entries, at

          http://pluralistspeaks.blogspot.com

          because that then links through to my Facebook pages and the people who, sometimes, also use CDs for music in services. I try to do a 'best practice' offering in collecting, editing and storing hymns and acquiring and using incidental music.

          From this I have also made a list maker clip for my own CDs to produce a similar looking list, but different titling and file saving.

          I do put my clipbooks out for others to use, and who knows who looks and gets the drift. They are on my website and the link page to them is now at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28120070/pluralist/learning/ictlinks.html for that part that was neglected a little until recently.

          Adrian Worsfold

          http://www.pluralist.co.uk
          http://pluralistspeaks.blogspot.com
          pluralist@...