Re: [Clip] Dot matches newline ON or OFF (was Re: Non printingcharacters.)

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21 6:40 AM
      At 4/21/2013 01:21 AM, you wrote:
      >Art Kocsis wrote:
      >> Had you run the test on my posted test string you would have
      >> noticed something different.
      >> [Remember your advice about copy and paste vs typing? ;-)]
      >
      >Sorry, my mistake. I hadn't read your post closely enpough and
      >overlooked that bit. Now "(.*?)" is a strange piece of text, but
      >neverless the regex '(.*?)' captures it and $1 reproduces it, so your
      >Replace yields "<i>(.*?)</i>"

      Hey, I hope you realize that I was just pulling your chain a little - no criticism meant. Just trying to take some of the sting off realizing how blind I can be once I get an idea in my head. I looked at the result, looked at my pattern - they were identical - and never looked back at the original. Dumb! It will be a while before I forget this.

      Yes, it did exactly as I said. Way back in grad school one of my teachers talked about a new language - DWIMDI! - "Do What I Mean, Damm It!" Too bad it doesn't exist.

      Namaste', Art

      My mind is like the subway. If I end up where I'm going,
      it's best if I don't try to understand the system.
      Jef Mallett, 04-21-13