Re: [Clip] Dot matches newline ON or OFF (was Re: Non printingcharacters.)

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
      Art Kocsis wrote:
      > Had you run the test on my posted test string you would have
      > noticed something different.
      > [Remember your advice about copy and paste vs typing? ;-)]

      Sorry, my mistake. I hadn't read your post closely enpough and
      overlooked that bit. Now "(.*?)" is a strange piece of text, but
      neverless the regex '(.*?)' captures it and $1 reproduces it, so your
      Replace yields "<i>(.*?)</i>"

      Again here everything works fine in all three versions.

      > But at least there is no hidden bug in RegEx.

      So we agree again.
      Hitch, there's no problem that I can see or reproduce, so it's up to you
      to provide an actual example for us.

      Axel
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
        At 4/21/2013 01:21 AM, you wrote:
        >Art Kocsis wrote:
        >> Had you run the test on my posted test string you would have
        >> noticed something different.
        >> [Remember your advice about copy and paste vs typing? ;-)]
        >
        >Sorry, my mistake. I hadn't read your post closely enpough and
        >overlooked that bit. Now "(.*?)" is a strange piece of text, but
        >neverless the regex '(.*?)' captures it and $1 reproduces it, so your
        >Replace yields "<i>(.*?)</i>"

        Hey, I hope you realize that I was just pulling your chain a little - no criticism meant. Just trying to take some of the sting off realizing how blind I can be once I get an idea in my head. I looked at the result, looked at my pattern - they were identical - and never looked back at the original. Dumb! It will be a while before I forget this.

        Yes, it did exactly as I said. Way back in grad school one of my teachers talked about a new language - DWIMDI! - "Do What I Mean, Damm It!" Too bad it doesn't exist.

        Namaste', Art

        My mind is like the subway. If I end up where I'm going,
        it's best if I don't try to understand the system.
        Jef Mallett, 04-21-13