Re: [Clip] Dot matches newline ON or OFF (was Re: Non printingcharacters.)

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2013
      Art Kocsis wrote:
      > I ran it on Win XP, SP2 both 5.8/fv & 6.2/fv.

      I just tested your clip:

      on my text:
      lived happily ever after</span>

      in both 5.8/fv and 6.2/fv under Win98SE and it worked flawlessly both
      times.

      Axel
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2013
        At 4/20/2013 04:14 PM, you wrote:

        >Art Kocsis wrote:
        >> I ran it on Win XP, SP2 both 5.8/fv & 6.2/fv.
        >
        >I just tested your clip:
        >
        >on my text:
        >lived happily ever after</span>
        >
        >in both 5.8/fv and 6.2/fv under Win98SE and it worked flawlessly both
        >times.
        >
        >Axel

        Aye, and therein lies the rub: "on my text". Had you run the test on my posted test string you would have noticed something different. [Remember your advice about copy and paste vs typing? ;-)]

        After my last post I decided to try my clip on the real test data that Hitch finally posted and it worked quite well. There was omething strange about the test string I was using.

        I really need to get more sleep, better glasses or something. I had been using the only thing that Hitch had posted that resembling a test string and failed to notice that tag's "content" between the ">" and "<" was "(.*?)" !!! DUH! But at least there is no hidden bug in RegEx.

        Please people, when you post a question copy and paste data real data to help avoid mistakes such as I made.

        Anyway, since I had all this time invested I went ahead and flushed out the clip to work an entire doc with a UI to verify a replacement.

        ;############ Start of Clip ############
        ^!Jump Doc_Start
        :Loop
        ^!Find "(?s)<span[^>]*?\>(.*?)</span>" IRS
        ^!IfError END
        ^!Skip Skip this selection?
        ^!GoTo Loop
        ;############ End of Clip ############

        Hitch, regarding your $1 results, you may want to read the "What's New" for version 7. Especially about the new wild card feature for F&R. Also try <i>$0</i> as your replace string to see what you are actually capturing.

        Art
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
          Art Kocsis wrote:
          > Had you run the test on my posted test string you would have
          > noticed something different.
          > [Remember your advice about copy and paste vs typing? ;-)]

          Sorry, my mistake. I hadn't read your post closely enpough and
          overlooked that bit. Now "(.*?)" is a strange piece of text, but
          neverless the regex '(.*?)' captures it and $1 reproduces it, so your
          Replace yields "<i>(.*?)</i>"

          Again here everything works fine in all three versions.

          > But at least there is no hidden bug in RegEx.

          So we agree again.
          Hitch, there's no problem that I can see or reproduce, so it's up to you
          to provide an actual example for us.

          Axel
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
            At 4/21/2013 01:21 AM, you wrote:
            >Art Kocsis wrote:
            >> Had you run the test on my posted test string you would have
            >> noticed something different.
            >> [Remember your advice about copy and paste vs typing? ;-)]
            >
            >Sorry, my mistake. I hadn't read your post closely enpough and
            >overlooked that bit. Now "(.*?)" is a strange piece of text, but
            >neverless the regex '(.*?)' captures it and $1 reproduces it, so your
            >Replace yields "<i>(.*?)</i>"

            Hey, I hope you realize that I was just pulling your chain a little - no criticism meant. Just trying to take some of the sting off realizing how blind I can be once I get an idea in my head. I looked at the result, looked at my pattern - they were identical - and never looked back at the original. Dumb! It will be a while before I forget this.

            Yes, it did exactly as I said. Way back in grad school one of my teachers talked about a new language - DWIMDI! - "Do What I Mean, Damm It!" Too bad it doesn't exist.

            Namaste', Art

            My mind is like the subway. If I end up where I'm going,
            it's best if I don't try to understand the system.
            Jef Mallett, 04-21-13