Re: [Clip] How to change email clip/prog. settings

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19 8:04 PM
      Helvetica_switzerland (nice handle btw :-) )
      This is pretty hokey but after doing some testing I'm pretty sure it
      will work.
      Solution: update the email folder on disk "manually w/clips"

      Note: I use TBird 3.1.17 because I decided to get off the update/break
      extensions merry-go-round for TBird and Firefox but it will probably
      work in more recent versions of TBird.

      Some background if you've never had to mess around with TBird storage...
      (1) for an email stored in folder "xyz_folder" TBird normally stores it
      a file (w/o extension) named "xyz_folder" and maintains and index file
      called "xyz_folder.msf". Note if "xyz_folder" is in a subfolder of
      (say) theParent_folder then in the file system xyz_folder and
      xyz_folder.msf will be files in folder "theParent_folder.sbd"

      (2) TBird has an option (in its Write window) File-Send Later
      (Ctrl+Shift+Return). If this option is used, instead of sending the
      email immediately and saving a copy in [Sent] it stores it in [Outbox]
      for later manual sending initiated by the user.

      (3) For reasons probably only clear to the TBird developers the folder
      used to store [Send-later] mail is instead named [Unsent Messages] so
      for example my Outbox is found in
      D:\PortableApps\ThunderbirdPortable\Data\profile\Mail\Local
      Folders\Unsent Messages

      Now the solution s/b clear:
      (1) Create a "template" Paypal invoice email formatted as you like using
      HTML via Shift+Write and use [Send Later],
      (2) locate your [Unsent Messages] file on your harddisk open the file in
      Notetab and write what ever clip code you need to copy the template
      email, make whatever changes are required and
      (2b) simply save the file from Notetab.
      (3) Almost done ... (steps 2 and 2b can be done while TBird is open) but
      the .msf file (the index) has not been updated so the new unsent emails
      you've created don't show up in the TBird list view of [Outbox] so ...
      (3b) rClick on Outbox folder, select [Properties] and in the popup click
      [Repair Folder] *magic* - all the emails you've created in Notetab now
      show up in the list view of [Outbox]
      (4) You can now send the invoices one at time or if there are lots and
      you've verified the procedure works rClick on [Outbox] and select [Send
      Unsent Messages]
      (4b) Note: If you are going to use the [Send Unsent Messages] option you
      may find it more convenient to store your "template" in a standalone
      folder (say) [Paypal-template] then in Notetab write your clip so that
      it opens the template file and appends the tweaked message to the bottom
      of the file.

      Note: You probably know this already but when messages get sent, moved
      or deleted in TBird the original email is left in the folder so you may
      want to do rClick [Outbox] Compact frequently. I use an extension called
      [Extra Folder Columns] which shows Unread/Total/Size columns in the
      folder tree. Might be worthwhile to get this if you don't already have it.

      If you go this route pls post back to let me know if it works 8-)

      On 2013-04-19 20:08, loro wrote:
      > helvetica_switzerland wrote:
      > >Hi all, I just discovered the "send email" clip in my registered
      > NoteTab Pro
      > >7.0. I use Thunderbird normally set to send emails in plain text.
      > >I would use the "send email" clip to send Paypal invoices (the texts
      > >of which I
      > >would first copy using CTRL C) which need to be sent in html in order
      > to make
      > >the link to Paypal work.
      > >A little test opens Thunderbird ok with my default address but I'd
      > >like to know
      > >how I can...
      > >- force it to open Tbird in html mode (as though I had pressed SHIFT
      > >+ "Write" in Tbird which forces html mode)
      > >- make it use my other address as Sender (which I normally manually
      > >select when using Tbird manually for such invoice emails).
      > >
      > >Can anyone think of a solution to either or both of these questions.
      > >Please note that I am *by no means* a competent clip-writer!
      >
      > You can't do that with ^!Email. It works basically the same way as a
      > mailto link (in case you do HTML, otherwise never mind). Depending on
      > if Firebird accepts command line arguments and if so which you may be
      > able to do it another way though. I don't have FB, so I can't play
      > with it. Maybe someone else has already tried?
    • helvetica_switzerland
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2013
        Hi Alec
        (Sorry for the late reply and thanks, I've been awfully busy).
        The clip which I have been using until now asks me for the information e.g. Price to pay, order number, name of customer, concert name, number of tickets, send by post or deposit for pickup. It then sets out an email itself plus, separately, an extra long line which is the paypal payment link. It is this line which requires the email to be sent in html format.
        (such a line is <https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=myPaypaladdress&amount=47.60¤cy_code=CHF&item_name=84122%20Bloggs%20Joe%201x%20Alice Cooper&shipping=0&pbtype=service&bn=paywiz0105xx-sx%3E>
        So when I copy the email which my clip has compiled, I copy it into Tbird in html mode and use Add link to add the above Payment link.

        But I will certainly try your method. I'm not quite sure how to make and save multiple emails though, do I just change the recipient's email address etc. each time and save it then do it again with the next one (your steps 2 and 2b)?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2013
          helvetica_switzerland wrote:
          > It is this line which requires the email to be sent in html format.

          Nearly all mail readers I am aware of recognise the "http://..." in pure
          text mails and allow clicking it. All the rest allow copying and
          pasting. If the recipient is too dense to eliminate newlines, then he's
          too stupid to be allowed unsupervised mailing.

          HTML on the other hand easily allows constructs like
          <A
          HREF="http://my.phishing.site/">http://your.trustworthy.bank/start.php</A>
          and a shockingly large number of mail users are not aware of the fact.
          In fact forbidding any HTML in incoming mail makes your life very much
          safer.

          So, no, your link does NOT require you to use HTML, quite the opposite,
          though I agree that many recipients are going to expect it.