RE: [Clip] \W and underscore

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
      That is useful. I will have to document that for myself. I have a clip called 'my notes' in which I keep all these gems. That's
      where I noticed this original problem was already documented. Duh.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
        I think it should be as is. A _ is not a word boundary ... it is used
        to join the words.

        As Flo points out, they gave you a solution and as Axel points out there
        is another easy solution. If they happened to conclude that you were
        right, that would require all manner of recoding ... which is what you
        are disinclined to do here for your libraries apparently and yet the
        entire world would have to do so if your thought carries the day.

        I'd say it matters not what we think, because as Flo says, it has roots
        in Perl.

        On 3/16/2013 11:26 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
        > I would rather rename all underscores in the beginning to avoid this problem than have to convert my whole library to use that
        > nomenclature when all I want is for \w to work as it should. For example, I could convert the underscores to [_] (including the
        > brackets) and then all would work as expected.

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
          Yet it works with \b as a word boundary. If it is treated as a word boundary, it is NOT being treated as a letter or number in THAT
          case. That is, a \b detects that a word ends, but \w includes the [_]. I don't care about history � PCRE is already different than
          Perl. It is not selfish to think that \w, which is defined as all letters and numbers, should actually BE all numbers and letters
          AND NOT the underscore. Nowhere else, in all of PCRE (as far as I know) does a non-letter and non-number count as a letter or a
          number. That is just wrong.

          I think it should be as is. A _ is not a word boundary ... it is used
          to join the words.

          As Flo points out, they gave you a solution and as Axel points out there
          is another easy solution. If they happened to conclude that you were
          right, that would require all manner of recoding ... which is what you
          are disinclined to do here for your libraries apparently and yet the
          entire world would have to do so if your thought carries the day.

          I'd say it matters not what we think, because as Flo says, it has roots
          in Perl.

          On 3/16/2013 11:26 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
          > I would rather rename all underscores in the beginning to avoid this problem than have to convert my whole library to use that
          > nomenclature when all I want is for \w to work as it should. For example, I could convert the underscores to [_] (including the
          > brackets) and then all would work as expected.

        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013

            > This also complicates the use of \b for word boundaries,
            > because \b DOES treat this character as a word boundary.

            This is misleading. A single character like the underscore can never be represent a word boundary. '\b' is an assertion that matches at a position where a non-word character is preceded resp. followed by a word character. Thus it signifies a position of zero length and no single character.

            As discussed here, the underscore is defined as a normal word character. So '\bJohn' doesn't match the string 'aaa _John', for example, because 'John' is not preceded by a word boundary in this case.

            Flo
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
              "flo.gehrke" wrote:
              > As discussed here, the underscore is defined as a normal word character.

              You're absolutely right. I had taken John by his word and not tested
              this.

              In the text

              aaabbbccc
              aaa bbbccc aaabbb ccc aaa bbb ccc
              aaa_bbbccc aaabbb_ccc aaa_bbb_ccc
              aaa _bbb ccc aaa bbb_ ccc aaa _bbb_ ccc
              aaa_ bbb_ccc aaa_bbb _ccc aaa_ bbb _ccc

              the pattern "\bbbb\b" (b was a bad letter choice in hindsight) matches
              the last string in the second and in the fifth line, nothing else.

              Axel
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013
                You're right, I was not paying attention. It was selecting the last character, which was the underscore and the boundary was the
                following character. If you do your test with a space following the underscore, you will see what I mean.