RE: [Clip] \W and underscore

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
      No, [^\w_]+ will collect line ends too. You need to use [^\w_\r\n]+ to prevent it.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
        John Shotsky wrote:
        > No, [^\w_]

        Yes, it's wrong. \w (small letter) already includes _, so [^\w_] and
        [^\w] are identical. It's \W (big letter) that you need to add the _ to.

        Axel
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
          I would rather rename all underscores in the beginning to avoid this problem than have to convert my whole library to use that
          nomenclature when all I want is for \w to work as it should. For example, I could convert the underscores to [_] (including the
          brackets) and then all would work as expected.

          PCRE and Perl are already different, I would rather see this cleared up than leave it in place because, uh, that's the way we've
          always done it.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013

            > By the way I just reread the help. A class can either be all
            > positive or all negative...

            That's not quite correct. With POSIX Character Classes, you can combine positive and negative definitions to some extent.

            Example: '[0[:^digit:]]' will match zero and any character that is no digit.

            Flo
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
              That is useful. I will have to document that for myself. I have a clip called 'my notes' in which I keep all these gems. That's
              where I noticed this original problem was already documented. Duh.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
                I think it should be as is. A _ is not a word boundary ... it is used
                to join the words.

                As Flo points out, they gave you a solution and as Axel points out there
                is another easy solution. If they happened to conclude that you were
                right, that would require all manner of recoding ... which is what you
                are disinclined to do here for your libraries apparently and yet the
                entire world would have to do so if your thought carries the day.

                I'd say it matters not what we think, because as Flo says, it has roots
                in Perl.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
                  Yet it works with \b as a word boundary. If it is treated as a word boundary, it is NOT being treated as a letter or number in THAT
                  case. That is, a \b detects that a word ends, but \w includes the [_]. I don't care about history � PCRE is already different than
                  Perl. It is not selfish to think that \w, which is defined as all letters and numbers, should actually BE all numbers and letters
                  AND NOT the underscore. Nowhere else, in all of PCRE (as far as I know) does a non-letter and non-number count as a letter or a
                  number. That is just wrong.

                  I think it should be as is. A _ is not a word boundary ... it is used
                  to join the words.

                  As Flo points out, they gave you a solution and as Axel points out there
                  is another easy solution. If they happened to conclude that you were
                  right, that would require all manner of recoding ... which is what you
                  are disinclined to do here for your libraries apparently and yet the
                  entire world would have to do so if your thought carries the day.

                  I'd say it matters not what we think, because as Flo says, it has roots
                  in Perl.

                  On 3/16/2013 11:26 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                  > I would rather rename all underscores in the beginning to avoid this problem than have to convert my whole library to use that
                  > nomenclature when all I want is for \w to work as it should. For example, I could convert the underscores to [_] (including the
                  > brackets) and then all would work as expected.

                • flo.gehrke
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013

                    > This also complicates the use of \b for word boundaries,
                    > because \b DOES treat this character as a word boundary.

                    This is misleading. A single character like the underscore can never be represent a word boundary. '\b' is an assertion that matches at a position where a non-word character is preceded resp. followed by a word character. Thus it signifies a position of zero length and no single character.

                    As discussed here, the underscore is defined as a normal word character. So '\bJohn' doesn't match the string 'aaa _John', for example, because 'John' is not preceded by a word boundary in this case.

                    Flo
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
                      "flo.gehrke" wrote:
                      > As discussed here, the underscore is defined as a normal word character.

                      You're absolutely right. I had taken John by his word and not tested
                      this.

                      In the text

                      aaabbbccc
                      aaa bbbccc aaabbb ccc aaa bbb ccc
                      aaa_bbbccc aaabbb_ccc aaa_bbb_ccc
                      aaa _bbb ccc aaa bbb_ ccc aaa _bbb_ ccc
                      aaa_ bbb_ccc aaa_bbb _ccc aaa_ bbb _ccc

                      the pattern "\bbbb\b" (b was a bad letter choice in hindsight) matches
                      the last string in the second and in the fifth line, nothing else.

                      Axel
                    • John Shotsky
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013
                        You're right, I was not paying attention. It was selecting the last character, which was the underscore and the boundary was the
                        following character. If you do your test with a space following the underscore, you will see what I mean.