[Clip] Re: characters

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
      Hi Lotta,

      > Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced
      > are actually different).

      > ^!Replace å
      å         ATW
      > ^!Replace Å
      Å         ATW

      > happy parent of first little "program"

      Yes, the space, tab, tab is an accepted format.  It caused so
      much trouble though when passing clips in eMail because of the
      tabs being converted to spaces that Eric added the format you see
      used most the time on the list.

      Congratulations on your first Clip. :)

      Nite...

      The NoteTab Clip List...
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
        Tavk så hemskt mycket! |-D
        (=Thank you very much)
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
          Hi Kay and Eb,

          Kay wrote:
          >The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
          >help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
          >got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
          >requests :)

          That's comforting.

          > feel free to ask away!

          OK, I will. I find this clip programming so fun and exciting I probably
          couldn't restrict myself anyway...

          Eb wrote:
          "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
          I use that one too. But I find it usefull to be able to convert just the
          language specific ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to
          read a doc where there is lots of enteties. Swedish has three extra vocals,
          all enteties of cource.

          Just want to say that next to NTP itself I find this list the most usefull
          thing yet. And it's a nice and friendly place to be, too.
          The problem with help files, I think, is that you have to know a little to
          be able to understand them. In this case, if you don't know what a
          command, event or loop is you are stuck. And in most cases there is no one
          to ask...This is probably the main reason
          people use only a fragment of the capacity of their programmes.

          Here's to you all!

          Lotta
        • Kay Roath
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
            01/08/2000 6:05 PM Lotta wrote
            > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!

            Hi Lotta -
            The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
            help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
            got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
            requests :)

            You'll find the list is very 'gentle' with lots of people willing
            to help. It's never been one of those lists where people answer
            new users with stuff like 'read the documentation', although we
            might direct you to certain areas of the Help file to avoid having
            to retype stuff that's there :) There's so much, it's hard to find
            just what you need when you need it. Everyone on the list understands
            that so feel free to ask away!

            --- Grandma Kay ---
          • Eb Guenther
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
              Hi Lotta,
              your message:
              >... I find it usefull to be able to convert just the language specific
              >ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to read a doc where
              >there is lots of enteties.

              I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
              web display?

              Are you confusing
              1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
              with
              2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

              Notice what happens when changing "<©ÅÄ Ö>&":

              1: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"
              2: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"

              I use a simple clip to convert to ISO codes, and a more complex
              one to convert back (finding ISO codes, so I don't "strip" html
              tags from the document):

              H="to ISO"
              ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+H

              H="from ISO"
              ;reverts ALL ISO code to the underlying character.
              :Loop
              ^!Find "&[a-zA-Z]*;" TWHRS
              ^!IfError Exit
              ^!Keyboard SHIFT+CTRL+T
              ^!Goto Loop

              BUGS:
              o The clip above will FIND "&abc;", but IF that
              is not a legitimate ISO code, it cannot convert
              it, and keeps finding it again: endless loop!
              o The clip WILL convert codes like ">", so if
              there is some embedded html display, it WILL
              get converted, and MESS UP the web page.

              Correcting these bugs would make this clip a _lot_
              more complex.

              Cheers,

              Eb
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                Eb,

                you wrote:
                >I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                >web display

                Well, sometimes it's not necessary to convert all and sometimes you want to
                use others enteties than ISO...

                >Are you confusing
                >1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                >with
                >2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                Nope, that one I'm clear about. It's just a fact that when your ido
                comtains a lot of 'corious' carachters it's very handy to be able to turn
                just those on and of. God help people in the east. Have searched for that a
                long time - and now I've got it!

                By the way, snatched your clip and will check it out.
                Thanks
                Lotta
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 11, 2000
                  Hi Lotta,

                  > ...it's very handy to be able to turn just those on and of. God
                  > help people in the east. Have searched for that a long time -
                  > and now I've got it!

                  You can also use the H option in Replace that will check to see
                  if there is a selection and apply the S&R criteria to it.

                  http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                  The NoteTab Clip List...
                  mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...