[Clip] Re: characters

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
      At 06:30 2000-01-09 , you wrote:
      >Hi Lotta,
      >
      > > I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the
      > > Clip Assistant and that one works fine.
      >
      >Huh?
      Meaning I did a clip using the Clip Assistent (Specific Commands/Replace)
      and that one looked identical to the one I had written with my own little
      fingers. No quotes, no ">>" , just spaces. But the Assistants worked, mine
      did not.

      But I think I have got it now. Just want to check.
      Use either ">>" or "tab" to separate parameters. Just hitting the space bar
      will not do the trick. Right?
      Like this
      (^!Replace("spacebar")X("tab")å("tab")ATW

      Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced are actually
      different).

      ^!Replace å å ATW
      ^!Replace Å Å ATW
      ^!Replace ä ä ATW
      ^!Replace Ä Ä ATW
      ^!Replace ö ö ATW
      ^!Replace Ö Ö ATW

      Lotta
      happy parent of first little "program"
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
        Hi Lotta,

        > Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced
        > are actually different).

        > ^!Replace å
        å         ATW
        > ^!Replace Å
        Å         ATW

        > happy parent of first little "program"

        Yes, the space, tab, tab is an accepted format.  It caused so
        much trouble though when passing clips in eMail because of the
        tabs being converted to spaces that Eric added the format you see
        used most the time on the list.

        Congratulations on your first Clip. :)

        Nite...

        The NoteTab Clip List...
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
          Tavk så hemskt mycket! |-D
          (=Thank you very much)
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
            Hi Kay and Eb,

            Kay wrote:
            >The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
            >help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
            >got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
            >requests :)

            That's comforting.

            > feel free to ask away!

            OK, I will. I find this clip programming so fun and exciting I probably
            couldn't restrict myself anyway...

            Eb wrote:
            "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
            I use that one too. But I find it usefull to be able to convert just the
            language specific ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to
            read a doc where there is lots of enteties. Swedish has three extra vocals,
            all enteties of cource.

            Just want to say that next to NTP itself I find this list the most usefull
            thing yet. And it's a nice and friendly place to be, too.
            The problem with help files, I think, is that you have to know a little to
            be able to understand them. In this case, if you don't know what a
            command, event or loop is you are stuck. And in most cases there is no one
            to ask...This is probably the main reason
            people use only a fragment of the capacity of their programmes.

            Here's to you all!

            Lotta
          • Kay Roath
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
              01/08/2000 6:05 PM Lotta wrote
              > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!

              Hi Lotta -
              The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
              help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
              got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
              requests :)

              You'll find the list is very 'gentle' with lots of people willing
              to help. It's never been one of those lists where people answer
              new users with stuff like 'read the documentation', although we
              might direct you to certain areas of the Help file to avoid having
              to retype stuff that's there :) There's so much, it's hard to find
              just what you need when you need it. Everyone on the list understands
              that so feel free to ask away!

              --- Grandma Kay ---
            • Eb Guenther
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                Hi Lotta,
                your message:
                >... I find it usefull to be able to convert just the language specific
                >ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to read a doc where
                >there is lots of enteties.

                I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                web display?

                Are you confusing
                1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                with
                2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                Notice what happens when changing "<©ÅÄ Ö>&":

                1: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"
                2: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"

                I use a simple clip to convert to ISO codes, and a more complex
                one to convert back (finding ISO codes, so I don't "strip" html
                tags from the document):

                H="to ISO"
                ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+H

                H="from ISO"
                ;reverts ALL ISO code to the underlying character.
                :Loop
                ^!Find "&[a-zA-Z]*;" TWHRS
                ^!IfError Exit
                ^!Keyboard SHIFT+CTRL+T
                ^!Goto Loop

                BUGS:
                o The clip above will FIND "&abc;", but IF that
                is not a legitimate ISO code, it cannot convert
                it, and keeps finding it again: endless loop!
                o The clip WILL convert codes like ">", so if
                there is some embedded html display, it WILL
                get converted, and MESS UP the web page.

                Correcting these bugs would make this clip a _lot_
                more complex.

                Cheers,

                Eb
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                  Eb,

                  you wrote:
                  >I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                  >web display

                  Well, sometimes it's not necessary to convert all and sometimes you want to
                  use others enteties than ISO...

                  >Are you confusing
                  >1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                  >with
                  >2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                  Nope, that one I'm clear about. It's just a fact that when your ido
                  comtains a lot of 'corious' carachters it's very handy to be able to turn
                  just those on and of. God help people in the east. Have searched for that a
                  long time - and now I've got it!

                  By the way, snatched your clip and will check it out.
                  Thanks
                  Lotta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2000
                    Hi Lotta,

                    > ...it's very handy to be able to turn just those on and of. God
                    > help people in the east. Have searched for that a long time -
                    > and now I've got it!

                    You can also use the H option in Replace that will check to see
                    if there is a selection and apply the S&R criteria to it.

                    http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                    The NoteTab Clip List...
                    mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...