Re: [Clip] Sorting Lines

  • loro
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
      Alec wrote:
      >Lotta I think it depends on whether Sort removes duplicates. I think you
      >have it unset?
      >For your 11 characters (1 per line) after sorting (removing) I am left
      >with only seven characters:

      And with Remove duplicated checked I get this (same versions of
      Notetab as before).

      Ä is where it should be. What order the other oddies should be in I'm
      not sure of without looking it up. If it isn't Notetab versions,
      could it maybe be locale or keyboard or something? Swedish do use Ä
      as well as Å and Ö and there is no problem sorting them, or I would
      have noticed.

      Lotta
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
        loro wrote:
        > But ä does come after z. :-P

        Doesn't here. I slightly modified your example:

        ác
        àb
        âb
        äc
        áb
        àc
        âc
        äb
        yb
        zb
        xb

        and got

        áb
        àb
        âb
        äb
        ác
        àc
        âc
        äc
        xb
        yb
        zb

        where, as you see, all accents are the same, so that the next letter
        comes into play. This is what bugs me in my current problem, if ä came
        after a it was easy, but they're intermixed. I have now used another
        editor to sort my file and, as said, in 99.5 % of cases NoteTab's way is
        far superiour to what that older editor does.

        My version is 7.1/fv and as far as I'm aware the latest.

        Axel

        > Is this something new? Because I don't think it happens for me, but I
        > don't think I have the very latest version. Or I misunderstand you altogether.
        >
        > I started with this.

        > Which sorted like this. All letters treated as different entities.
        > Tried with 4.9 and 7.1.

        > Lotta

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
          joy8388608 wrote:
          > Can you replace each of the different a's with a unique
          > character (such as digits and punctuation marks) then sort
          > then replace them back?

          I could of course, but that's far more hassle than just reactivating an
          old editor for the purpose.

          Axel
        • loro
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
            >where, as you see, all accents are the same, so that the next letter
            >comes into play.

            Yup. Now that happened for me too. But my Ä is still sorted
            correctly. How strange!

            áb
            àb
            âb
            ác
            àc
            âc
            xb
            yb
            zb
            äb
            äc

            Also strange that (in my previous try) Notetab grouped the accented
            letters but this happens when you add a second letter.

            Lotta
          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2013
              Hi all,

              And here is what you get if you use the StrSort function...

              äc
              äb
              âc
              âb
              ác
              áb
              àc
              àb
              zb
              yb
              xb

              ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";No;No;Yes)$

              It is strange however that this list is achieved by sorting in reverse (?) order.

              Regards,

              Hugo