RE: [Clip] Sorting Lines

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
      One solution would be to substitute the xml numerical character Id for each diacritical character. That is similar to the html
      character identities, except they are all numerical. As such, they would sort in order of the characters, which is what I think you
      wanted. I have clips to convert to and from most diacritical characters, although you probably have ones I don't encounter. Still,
      it is one conversion before the sort, and the reverse afterwards. Not hard to do.
      http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/specs/wd-docbook-xmlcharent-0.3.html

      I do that to get a numerical entity for everything, then, for certain ones, I substitute something else in the reverse part. For
      example, I convert ALL 'vulgar fractions' to their three-character equivalents, and all 'smart quotes' to standard quotes.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
        Alec wrote:
        >Lotta I think it depends on whether Sort removes duplicates. I think you
        >have it unset?
        >For your 11 characters (1 per line) after sorting (removing) I am left
        >with only seven characters:

        And with Remove duplicated checked I get this (same versions of
        Notetab as before).

        Ä is where it should be. What order the other oddies should be in I'm
        not sure of without looking it up. If it isn't Notetab versions,
        could it maybe be locale or keyboard or something? Swedish do use Ä
        as well as Å and Ö and there is no problem sorting them, or I would
        have noticed.

        Lotta
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
          loro wrote:
          > But ä does come after z. :-P

          Doesn't here. I slightly modified your example:

          ác
          àb
          âb
          äc
          áb
          àc
          âc
          äb
          yb
          zb
          xb

          and got

          áb
          àb
          âb
          äb
          ác
          àc
          âc
          äc
          xb
          yb
          zb

          where, as you see, all accents are the same, so that the next letter
          comes into play. This is what bugs me in my current problem, if ä came
          after a it was easy, but they're intermixed. I have now used another
          editor to sort my file and, as said, in 99.5 % of cases NoteTab's way is
          far superiour to what that older editor does.

          My version is 7.1/fv and as far as I'm aware the latest.

          Axel

          > Is this something new? Because I don't think it happens for me, but I
          > don't think I have the very latest version. Or I misunderstand you altogether.
          >
          > I started with this.

          > Which sorted like this. All letters treated as different entities.
          > Tried with 4.9 and 7.1.

          > Lotta

          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
            joy8388608 wrote:
            > Can you replace each of the different a's with a unique
            > character (such as digits and punctuation marks) then sort
            > then replace them back?

            I could of course, but that's far more hassle than just reactivating an
            old editor for the purpose.

            Axel
          • loro
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
              >where, as you see, all accents are the same, so that the next letter
              >comes into play.

              Yup. Now that happened for me too. But my Ä is still sorted
              correctly. How strange!

              áb
              àb
              âb
              ác
              àc
              âc
              xb
              yb
              zb
              äb
              äc

              Also strange that (in my previous try) Notetab grouped the accented
              letters but this happens when you add a second letter.

              Lotta
            • Hugo Paulissen
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2013
                Hi all,

                And here is what you get if you use the StrSort function...

                äc
                äb
                âc
                âb
                ác
                áb
                àc
                àb
                zb
                yb
                xb

                ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";No;No;Yes)$

                It is strange however that this list is achieved by sorting in reverse (?) order.

                Regards,

                Hugo