Sorting Lines

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
      When sorting NoteTab treats accented letters á à â ä like the base
      letter a, which is great and usually just what's needed. My current case
      is the exception though, as I'm sorting word lists to look for patterns.
      I don't mind about order, it's quite alright for ä to come after z, but
      I need to treat every difference differently.
      Is there any solution apart from using a different program?

      Danke
      Axel
    • joy8388608
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013

        > When sorting NoteTab treats accented letters á à â ä like the base
        > letter a, which is great and usually just what's needed. My current case
        > is the exception though, as I'm sorting word lists to look for patterns.
        > I don't mind about order, it's quite alright for ä to come after z, but
        > I need to treat every difference differently.
        > Is there any solution apart from using a different program?
        >
        > Danke
        > Axel

        Can you replace each of the different a's with a unique character (such as digits and punctuation marks) then sort then replace them back?

        Joy
      • loro
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
          Axel wrote:
          >When sorting NoteTab treats accented letters á à â ä like the base
          >letter a, which is great and usually just what's needed. My current case
          >is the exception though, as I'm sorting word lists to look for patterns.
          >I don't mind about order, it's quite alright for ä to come after z, but
          >I need to treat every difference differently.
          >Is there any solution apart from using a different program?

          But ä does come after z. :-P

          Is this something new? Because I don't think it happens for me, but I
          don't think I have the very latest version. Or I misunderstand you altogether.

          I started with this.

          Which sorted like this. All letters treated as different entities.
          Tried with 4.9 and 7.1.

          Lotta
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
            Lotta I think it depends on whether Sort removes duplicates. I think you
            have it unset?
            For your 11 characters (1 per line) after sorting (removing) I am left
            with only seven characters:

            Given that its unlikely to be changed I think some kind of character
            replacement with token/sort/replace original logic would be the way to
            go as suggested by Joy.

            On 2013-02-26 22:49, loro wrote:
            > Axel wrote:
            > >When sorting NoteTab treats accented letters á à â ä like the base
            > >letter a, which is great and usually just what's needed. My current case
            > >is the exception though, as I'm sorting word lists to look for patterns.
            > >I don't mind about order, it's quite alright for ä to come after z, but
            > >I need to treat every difference differently.
            > >Is there any solution apart from using a different program?
            >
            > But ä does come after z. :-P
            >
            > Is this something new? Because I don't think it happens for me, but I
            > don't think I have the very latest version. Or I misunderstand you
            > altogether.
            >
            > I started with this.

            > Which sorted like this. All letters treated as different entities.
            > Tried with 4.9 and 7.1.

            > Lotta
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
              One solution would be to substitute the xml numerical character Id for each diacritical character. That is similar to the html
              character identities, except they are all numerical. As such, they would sort in order of the characters, which is what I think you
              wanted. I have clips to convert to and from most diacritical characters, although you probably have ones I don't encounter. Still,
              it is one conversion before the sort, and the reverse afterwards. Not hard to do.
              http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/specs/wd-docbook-xmlcharent-0.3.html

              I do that to get a numerical entity for everything, then, for certain ones, I substitute something else in the reverse part. For
              example, I convert ALL 'vulgar fractions' to their three-character equivalents, and all 'smart quotes' to standard quotes.

              When sorting NoteTab treats accented letters � � � � like the base
              letter a, which is great and usually just what's needed. My current case
              is the exception though, as I'm sorting word lists to look for patterns.
              I don't mind about order, it's quite alright for � to come after z, but

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
                Alec wrote:
                >Lotta I think it depends on whether Sort removes duplicates. I think you
                >have it unset?
                >For your 11 characters (1 per line) after sorting (removing) I am left
                >with only seven characters:

                And with Remove duplicated checked I get this (same versions of
                Notetab as before).

                Ä is where it should be. What order the other oddies should be in I'm
                not sure of without looking it up. If it isn't Notetab versions,
                could it maybe be locale or keyboard or something? Swedish do use Ä
                as well as Å and Ö and there is no problem sorting them, or I would
                have noticed.

                Lotta
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
                  loro wrote:
                  > But ä does come after z. :-P

                  Doesn't here. I slightly modified your example:

                  ác
                  àb
                  âb
                  äc
                  áb
                  àc
                  âc
                  äb
                  yb
                  zb
                  xb

                  and got

                  áb
                  àb
                  âb
                  äb
                  ác
                  àc
                  âc
                  äc
                  xb
                  yb
                  zb

                  where, as you see, all accents are the same, so that the next letter
                  comes into play. This is what bugs me in my current problem, if ä came
                  after a it was easy, but they're intermixed. I have now used another
                  editor to sort my file and, as said, in 99.5 % of cases NoteTab's way is
                  far superiour to what that older editor does.

                  My version is 7.1/fv and as far as I'm aware the latest.

                  Axel

                  > Is this something new? Because I don't think it happens for me, but I
                  > don't think I have the very latest version. Or I misunderstand you altogether.
                  >
                  > I started with this.

                  > Which sorted like this. All letters treated as different entities.
                  > Tried with 4.9 and 7.1.

                  > Lotta

                  Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
                    joy8388608 wrote:
                    > Can you replace each of the different a's with a unique
                    > character (such as digits and punctuation marks) then sort
                    > then replace them back?

                    I could of course, but that's far more hassle than just reactivating an
                    old editor for the purpose.

                    Axel
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
                      >where, as you see, all accents are the same, so that the next letter
                      >comes into play.

                      Yup. Now that happened for me too. But my Ä is still sorted
                      correctly. How strange!

                      áb
                      àb
                      âb
                      ác
                      àc
                      âc
                      xb
                      yb
                      zb
                      äb
                      äc

                      Also strange that (in my previous try) Notetab grouped the accented
                      letters but this happens when you add a second letter.

                      Lotta
                    • Hugo Paulissen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 28, 2013
                        Hi all,

                        And here is what you get if you use the StrSort function...

                        äc
                        äb
                        âc
                        âb
                        ác
                        áb
                        àc
                        àb
                        zb
                        yb
                        xb

                        ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";No;No;Yes)$

                        It is strange however that this list is achieved by sorting in reverse (?) order.

                        Regards,

                        Hugo