[Clip] Re: characters

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
      Hi Lotta,

      > I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the
      > Clip Assistant and that one works fine.

      Huh?

      > Mine looks exactly the same but all I get is an error message.
      > Since they look alike but aren't alike I'm suspecting the
      > spaces. Could it be you have to make them with the tabulator
      > (hope that is what the key is called!)?
      >
      > Here is what I have written (swedish character substituted
      with
      > "x"):

      ^!Replace x  ä  ATW

      It appears you have two spaces, no arrows, and no quotes.  Try this
      format:

      ^!Replace "x" >> "ä" ATW

      I'm sorry about my last post.  I forgot the >> in between the
      "find" and "replace with."  You are correct with the T option.
      (S just turns off the messages.)

      ^!Replace "Á" >> "Á" SWAT
      ^!Replace "á" >> "á" TWAS (the night before Christmas:)

      Can somebody using Eudora 4.02 write me *private eMail* and tell
      me how to get rid of the quote bar when I hit reply.  I just
      installed the upgrade and can't figure it out.  I want my arrows
      back!!!  Thanks: mailto:KJB1611@...

      c ya,
      Jody

      The whole world doth err save you
      and me and even thou doest err some!

      http://www.sureword.com/mm
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
        At 06:30 2000-01-09 , you wrote:
        >Hi Lotta,
        >
        > > I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the
        > > Clip Assistant and that one works fine.
        >
        >Huh?
        Meaning I did a clip using the Clip Assistent (Specific Commands/Replace)
        and that one looked identical to the one I had written with my own little
        fingers. No quotes, no ">>" , just spaces. But the Assistants worked, mine
        did not.

        But I think I have got it now. Just want to check.
        Use either ">>" or "tab" to separate parameters. Just hitting the space bar
        will not do the trick. Right?
        Like this
        (^!Replace("spacebar")X("tab")å("tab")ATW

        Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced are actually
        different).

        ^!Replace å å ATW
        ^!Replace Å Å ATW
        ^!Replace ä ä ATW
        ^!Replace Ä Ä ATW
        ^!Replace ö ö ATW
        ^!Replace Ö Ö ATW

        Lotta
        happy parent of first little "program"
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
          Hi Lotta,

          > Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced
          > are actually different).

          > ^!Replace å
          å         ATW
          > ^!Replace Å
          Å         ATW

          > happy parent of first little "program"

          Yes, the space, tab, tab is an accepted format.  It caused so
          much trouble though when passing clips in eMail because of the
          tabs being converted to spaces that Eric added the format you see
          used most the time on the list.

          Congratulations on your first Clip. :)

          Nite...

          The NoteTab Clip List...
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
            Tavk så hemskt mycket! |-D
            (=Thank you very much)
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
              Hi Kay and Eb,

              Kay wrote:
              >The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
              >help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
              >got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
              >requests :)

              That's comforting.

              > feel free to ask away!

              OK, I will. I find this clip programming so fun and exciting I probably
              couldn't restrict myself anyway...

              Eb wrote:
              "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
              I use that one too. But I find it usefull to be able to convert just the
              language specific ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to
              read a doc where there is lots of enteties. Swedish has three extra vocals,
              all enteties of cource.

              Just want to say that next to NTP itself I find this list the most usefull
              thing yet. And it's a nice and friendly place to be, too.
              The problem with help files, I think, is that you have to know a little to
              be able to understand them. In this case, if you don't know what a
              command, event or loop is you are stuck. And in most cases there is no one
              to ask...This is probably the main reason
              people use only a fragment of the capacity of their programmes.

              Here's to you all!

              Lotta
            • Kay Roath
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
                01/08/2000 6:05 PM Lotta wrote
                > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!

                Hi Lotta -
                The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
                help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
                got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
                requests :)

                You'll find the list is very 'gentle' with lots of people willing
                to help. It's never been one of those lists where people answer
                new users with stuff like 'read the documentation', although we
                might direct you to certain areas of the Help file to avoid having
                to retype stuff that's there :) There's so much, it's hard to find
                just what you need when you need it. Everyone on the list understands
                that so feel free to ask away!

                --- Grandma Kay ---
              • Eb Guenther
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                  Hi Lotta,
                  your message:
                  >... I find it usefull to be able to convert just the language specific
                  >ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to read a doc where
                  >there is lots of enteties.

                  I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                  web display?

                  Are you confusing
                  1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                  with
                  2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                  Notice what happens when changing "<©ÅÄ Ö>&":

                  1: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"
                  2: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"

                  I use a simple clip to convert to ISO codes, and a more complex
                  one to convert back (finding ISO codes, so I don't "strip" html
                  tags from the document):

                  H="to ISO"
                  ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+H

                  H="from ISO"
                  ;reverts ALL ISO code to the underlying character.
                  :Loop
                  ^!Find "&[a-zA-Z]*;" TWHRS
                  ^!IfError Exit
                  ^!Keyboard SHIFT+CTRL+T
                  ^!Goto Loop

                  BUGS:
                  o The clip above will FIND "&abc;", but IF that
                  is not a legitimate ISO code, it cannot convert
                  it, and keeps finding it again: endless loop!
                  o The clip WILL convert codes like ">", so if
                  there is some embedded html display, it WILL
                  get converted, and MESS UP the web page.

                  Correcting these bugs would make this clip a _lot_
                  more complex.

                  Cheers,

                  Eb
                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                    Eb,

                    you wrote:
                    >I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                    >web display

                    Well, sometimes it's not necessary to convert all and sometimes you want to
                    use others enteties than ISO...

                    >Are you confusing
                    >1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                    >with
                    >2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                    Nope, that one I'm clear about. It's just a fact that when your ido
                    comtains a lot of 'corious' carachters it's very handy to be able to turn
                    just those on and of. God help people in the east. Have searched for that a
                    long time - and now I've got it!

                    By the way, snatched your clip and will check it out.
                    Thanks
                    Lotta
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 11, 2000
                      Hi Lotta,

                      > ...it's very handy to be able to turn just those on and of. God
                      > help people in the east. Have searched for that a long time -
                      > and now I've got it!

                      You can also use the H option in Replace that will check to see
                      if there is a selection and apply the S&R criteria to it.

                      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                      The NoteTab Clip List...
                      mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...