Re: [Clip] Trivial clip

  • Ian NTnerd
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
      I'm no ReGex expert but shouldn't there be two $1 in the output. I think
      it is just a typo and he meant,

      ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW

      No time to test it.

      Ian

      On 19/02/2013 7:55 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

      > The following should do what you request:
      > ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW
      >
      > Regards,
      > John
      > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
      > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/
      >
      > From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com>

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
        No, the \K means to leave the first one in place. No need to copy what is already there.

        I'm no ReGex expert but shouldn't there be two $1 in the output. I think
        it is just a typo and he meant,

        ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW

        No time to test it.

        Ian

        On 19/02/2013 7:55 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

        > The following should do what you request:
        > ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW
        >
        > Regards,
        > John
        > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
        > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
          Actually Ian, John has it correctly though I probably would have done it
          the way you suggest.
          The \K escape sequence erases anything that has been found up to the
          place it appears but leaves any previously established groups available
          for use in replacement.

          from Google [pcre escape sequence "\K"]
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl_Compatible_Regular_Expressions
          I know what follows is somewhere(?) in Notetab - Help - Help on Regular
          Expressions but its hard to search for \K

          Look-ahead and look-behind assertions
          Patterns may assert that previous text or subsequent text contains a
          pattern without consuming matched text (zero-width assertion). For
          example, /\w+(?=\t)/ matches a word followed by a tab, without
          including the tab.
          Look-behind assertions cannot be of uncertain length.
          Since version 7.2, \K can be used in a pattern to reset the start of
          the current whole match. This provides a flexible alternative
          approach to look-behind assertions because the discarded part of the
          match (the part that precedes \K) need not be fixed in length.

          FWIW: I tested it just to be sure - if you use the Replace dialog and
          step through with [Find] you see nothing apparently selected but each
          [Replace] doubles the line. (Thx Flo, I think for finally ramming \K
          usage through my head - once grokked it can prove very useful)

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 19, 2013
            Thanks, another RE dark art revealed.

            Ian

            On 19/02/2013 12:35 PM, John Shotsky wrote:

            > No, the \K means to leave the first one in place. No need to copy what
            > is already there.
            >
            > Regards,
            > John
            > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
            > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

          • bruce.somers
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 23, 2013
              I  seem to have misunderstood.

              I assumed that the command  ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW  was to be pasted into the  'Reg Expr'-field of the 'Find and Replace' dialog box. But that leads to the nessage

              '^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW'  not found between current position and end of document.

              I must be way off base.

              Bruce

              On 19/02/2013 7:55 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

              > The following should do what you request:
              > ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 23, 2013
                It was written as a clip that you can use whenever you want. If you want to use the dialog, you would place
                ^(.+)\K$
                in the find dialog and
                \x20$1
                in the replace dialog.
                Make sure the dropdown is set for regular expressions, then 'Replace All'.

                I assumed that the command ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW was to be pasted into the 'Reg Expr'-field of the 'Find and Replace' dialog box. But that leads to the nessage

                '^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW' not found between current position and end of document.

                I must be way off base.

                Bruce

                On 19/02/2013 7:55 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

                > The following should do what you request:
                > ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW

              • bruce.somers
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 23, 2013
                  OK -clear enough.