Re: [Clip] Image archive

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
      At 02-13-2013 05:03, Axel wrote:
      >Take a look at Irfanview, which does quite a good job of doing it on its
      >own. I have some clips for modifying the results. If you like, take a
      >look at
      ><http://familie.berger-odenthal.de/Tews/AlbumMuttiStudiumBeige/Bilder/>http://familie.berger-odenthal.de/Tews/AlbumMuttiStudiumBeige/Bilder/
      >and vary the window width. Making images flow like text instead of
      >enforcing a fixed width is easy, doing the same for images with captions
      >gets a bit more tricky.
      >
      >By the way all the captions are included into the full size high quality
      >images as Jpeg-commentaries. That way I can generate all smaller size
      >images and all captions automatically.

      Axel,

      Did you enter all of the image comments manually or is there a way to use Irfanview to do enter them?

      I haven't used Irfanview in over four years (I use Xnview), so I haven't kept up with any changes. Reading through the Irfanview help file I see where it has quite an extensive command line functionality. I have no need for that but I can see where it would be very useful feature for clips. XNview OTOH has a much better GUI. It features an integrated browser with both tree view and thumbnails plus tabs for multiple full image views. This is more effective for interactive usage. The actual image format support, viewing, processing, converting, etc are pretty much the same in both apps. Since they are both free for home use I will leave both installed.

      In further perusing of their help files I was surprised by the differences in the metadata content (and lack thereof), of the various image file formats. Especially among the main ones: png, jpg, gif, tif & bmp. Irfanview gives detailed definitions of the individual metadata parameters, XNview covers a broader viewpoint with a bit of history thrown in. For example, I had assumed that the EXIF format was an industry standard. It is .... sorta. It was created by a Japanese association in the 90s and was last revised in 2002. However, it is no longer being maintained by anyone but only going on by inertia.

      Art
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
        Art Kocsis wrote:
        > Did you enter all of the image comments manually or is there a
        > way to use Irfanview to do enter them?

        Both. Naturally I had to write them all, but Irfanview helps:
        <I><C> opens the comment entry and <Alt><W> writes it. <Space> goes to
        the next image.

        > an extensive command line functionality. I have no need for that
        > but I can see where it would be very useful feature for clips.

        Just an example: As a LaTeX user I'm deeply convinced, that my results
        are vastly superiour to anybody else's. Thus it pained me that my
        presentations and to a lesser amouts theses were giant files. Microsoft
        can scale down included images, LaTeX can't. I slighly changed the log
        file format to not only name inserted images but give their final size
        (in pt, equivalent to inches). From that I let clips automatically
        generate a batch file. When run that uses Irfanview to resize all images
        to the required size for a given resolution in dpi, Jpeg to 95 %, Pings
        to 256 colours. It then compares the resized image to the original and
        if not smaller, the former is deleted. (Happens with low quality Jpegs
        and line drawings.)

        Few clicks, all automatic, nice result.

        Axel
      • loro
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 15, 2013
          codge34 wrote:
          >NotePad says I can create pages for an image collection. I want to
          >find out how

          I know you have gotten other answers already, but that probably
          refers to a clip called Images to HTML that's found the Utilities
          library that ships with Notetab. The result isn't very intriguing
          though, but that's a matter of basic and old style HTML. It's meant
          to demonstrate the Notetab bit, how to get all the file names and so
          on, the look of the page can be changed.

          Lotta
        • bruce.somers
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
            Greetinge!

            I have a very simple problem that certainly should be solvable with the help of NoteTab Clips. I haven't been successful in extracting information from the Help facility. As usual, those who know what to look for, need no help!

            I want simply to select the entire text of each line of an open file, and append that text to that same line, that is, I want to tranform

            This is line one
            This one is line two
            This is line three

            into

            This is line one This is line one
            This one is line two This one is line two
            This is line three This is line three

            If some kind soul will show me how to do that, I'll try to develop from there.

            Many thanks for any assistance.

            Bruce
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
              The following should do what you request:
              ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                I'm no ReGex expert but shouldn't there be two $1 in the output. I think
                it is just a typo and he meant,

                ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW

                No time to test it.

                Ian

                On 19/02/2013 7:55 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

                > The following should do what you request:
                > ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW
                >
                > Regards,
                > John
                > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
                > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/
                >
                > From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com>

              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                  No, the \K means to leave the first one in place. No need to copy what is already there.

                  I'm no ReGex expert but shouldn't there be two $1 in the output. I think
                  it is just a typo and he meant,

                  ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW

                  No time to test it.

                  Ian

                  On 19/02/2013 7:55 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

                  > The following should do what you request:
                  > ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > John
                  > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
                  > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                    Actually Ian, John has it correctly though I probably would have done it
                    the way you suggest.
                    The \K escape sequence erases anything that has been found up to the
                    place it appears but leaves any previously established groups available
                    for use in replacement.

                    from Google [pcre escape sequence "\K"]
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl_Compatible_Regular_Expressions
                    I know what follows is somewhere(?) in Notetab - Help - Help on Regular
                    Expressions but its hard to search for \K

                    Look-ahead and look-behind assertions
                    Patterns may assert that previous text or subsequent text contains a
                    pattern without consuming matched text (zero-width assertion). For
                    example, /\w+(?=\t)/ matches a word followed by a tab, without
                    including the tab.
                    Look-behind assertions cannot be of uncertain length.
                    Since version 7.2, \K can be used in a pattern to reset the start of
                    the current whole match. This provides a flexible alternative
                    approach to look-behind assertions because the discarded part of the
                    match (the part that precedes \K) need not be fixed in length.

                    FWIW: I tested it just to be sure - if you use the Replace dialog and
                    step through with [Find] you see nothing apparently selected but each
                    [Replace] doubles the line. (Thx Flo, I think for finally ramming \K
                    usage through my head - once grokked it can prove very useful)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 19, 2013
                      Thanks, another RE dark art revealed.

                      Ian

                      On 19/02/2013 12:35 PM, John Shotsky wrote:

                      > No, the \K means to leave the first one in place. No need to copy what
                      > is already there.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > John
                      > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
                      > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

                    • bruce.somers
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 23, 2013
                        I  seem to have misunderstood.

                        I assumed that the command  ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW  was to be pasted into the  'Reg Expr'-field of the 'Find and Replace' dialog box. But that leads to the nessage

                        '^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW'  not found between current position and end of document.

                        I must be way off base.

                        Bruce

                        On 19/02/2013 7:55 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

                        > The following should do what you request:
                        > ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW
                      • John Shotsky
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 23, 2013
                          It was written as a clip that you can use whenever you want. If you want to use the dialog, you would place
                          ^(.+)\K$
                          in the find dialog and
                          \x20$1
                          in the replace dialog.
                          Make sure the dropdown is set for regular expressions, then 'Replace All'.

                          I assumed that the command ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW was to be pasted into the 'Reg Expr'-field of the 'Find and Replace' dialog box. But that leads to the nessage

                          '^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "$1\x20$1" ARSW' not found between current position and end of document.

                          I must be way off base.

                          Bruce

                          On 19/02/2013 7:55 AM, John Shotsky wrote:

                          > The following should do what you request:
                          > ^!Replace "^(.+)\K$" >> "\x20$1" ARSW

                        • bruce.somers
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 23, 2013
                            OK -clear enough.