[Clip] Re: characters

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
      Hi Lotta,

      > Here's me again being stupid.

      I would say something about, uh, nevermind. <g>

      > I'm trying to learn clip syntax

      Keep on keep'n on!

      > I'm trying to write a clip that shall replace scandinavian
      > characters with their html enteties. Since enteties begin with
      > "&" and "&" also has a special meaning in the clip language it
      > flops.

      There should not be a conflict with what I think you are speaking
      of (although there may be depending on how you are using it).
      The Clip code is actually "^&" w/o the quotes.

      So, your Clip might be:

      ^!Replace "Á" "Á" WAS
      ^!Replace "á" "á" WAS
      ^!Replace "À" "À" WAS
      ^!Replace "à" "à" WAS

      I hope that goes through the mail OK.

      There are more complicated ways of writing it, but I think for
      you learning right now this is better. Although you can probably
      figure out Eric's Web Form convertor in Utilities. It uses
      ^$StrReplace instead of ^!Replace - the end result is the same.

      > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!

      Nope, keep on keep'n on! As long as I see somebody trying I will
      go the extra mile for them.

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab Clip List...
      mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000

        >There should not be a conflict with what I think you are speaking
        >of (although there may be depending on how you are using it).
        >The Clip code is actually "^&"

        I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the Clip Assistant
        and that one works fine. Mine looks exactly the same but all I get is an
        error message. Since they look alike but aren't alike I'm suspecting the
        spaces. Could it be you have to make them with the tabulator (hope that is
        what the key is called!)?

        Here is what I have written (swedish character substituted with "x"):

        ^!Replace x ä ATW

        > > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!
        >
        >Nope, keep on keep'n on! As long as I see somebody trying I will
        >go the extra mile for them.

        Thank you, I'm very gratefull.

        Lotta
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
          Hi Lotta,

          > I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the
          > Clip Assistant and that one works fine.

          Huh?

          > Mine looks exactly the same but all I get is an error message.
          > Since they look alike but aren't alike I'm suspecting the
          > spaces. Could it be you have to make them with the tabulator
          > (hope that is what the key is called!)?
          >
          > Here is what I have written (swedish character substituted
          with
          > "x"):

          ^!Replace x  &auml;  ATW

          It appears you have two spaces, no arrows, and no quotes.  Try this
          format:

          ^!Replace "x" >> "&auml;" ATW

          I'm sorry about my last post.  I forgot the >> in between the
          "find" and "replace with."  You are correct with the T option.
          (S just turns off the messages.)

          ^!Replace "Á" >> "&Aacute;" SWAT
          ^!Replace "á" >> "&aacute;" TWAS (the night before Christmas:)

          Can somebody using Eudora 4.02 write me *private eMail* and tell
          me how to get rid of the quote bar when I hit reply.  I just
          installed the upgrade and can't figure it out.  I want my arrows
          back!!!  Thanks: mailto:KJB1611@...

          c ya,
          Jody

          The whole world doth err save you
          and me and even thou doest err some!

          http://www.sureword.com/mm
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
            At 06:30 2000-01-09 , you wrote:
            >Hi Lotta,
            >
            > > I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the
            > > Clip Assistant and that one works fine.
            >
            >Huh?
            Meaning I did a clip using the Clip Assistent (Specific Commands/Replace)
            and that one looked identical to the one I had written with my own little
            fingers. No quotes, no ">>" , just spaces. But the Assistants worked, mine
            did not.

            But I think I have got it now. Just want to check.
            Use either ">>" or "tab" to separate parameters. Just hitting the space bar
            will not do the trick. Right?
            Like this
            (^!Replace("spacebar")X("tab")å("tab")ATW

            Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced are actually
            different).

            ^!Replace å å ATW
            ^!Replace Å Å ATW
            ^!Replace ä ä ATW
            ^!Replace Ä Ä ATW
            ^!Replace ö ö ATW
            ^!Replace Ö Ö ATW

            Lotta
            happy parent of first little "program"
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
              Hi Lotta,

              > Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced
              > are actually different).

              > ^!Replace å
              &aring;         ATW
              > ^!Replace Å
              &Aring;         ATW

              > happy parent of first little "program"

              Yes, the space, tab, tab is an accepted format.  It caused so
              much trouble though when passing clips in eMail because of the
              tabs being converted to spaces that Eric added the format you see
              used most the time on the list.

              Congratulations on your first Clip. :)

              Nite...

              The NoteTab Clip List...
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
                Tavk så hemskt mycket! |-D
                (=Thank you very much)
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
                  Hi Kay and Eb,

                  Kay wrote:
                  >The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
                  >help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
                  >got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
                  >requests :)

                  That's comforting.

                  > feel free to ask away!

                  OK, I will. I find this clip programming so fun and exciting I probably
                  couldn't restrict myself anyway...

                  Eb wrote:
                  "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                  I use that one too. But I find it usefull to be able to convert just the
                  language specific ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to
                  read a doc where there is lots of enteties. Swedish has three extra vocals,
                  all enteties of cource.

                  Just want to say that next to NTP itself I find this list the most usefull
                  thing yet. And it's a nice and friendly place to be, too.
                  The problem with help files, I think, is that you have to know a little to
                  be able to understand them. In this case, if you don't know what a
                  command, event or loop is you are stuck. And in most cases there is no one
                  to ask...This is probably the main reason
                  people use only a fragment of the capacity of their programmes.

                  Here's to you all!

                  Lotta
                • Kay Roath
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
                    01/08/2000 6:05 PM Lotta wrote
                    > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!

                    Hi Lotta -
                    The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
                    help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
                    got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
                    requests :)

                    You'll find the list is very 'gentle' with lots of people willing
                    to help. It's never been one of those lists where people answer
                    new users with stuff like 'read the documentation', although we
                    might direct you to certain areas of the Help file to avoid having
                    to retype stuff that's there :) There's so much, it's hard to find
                    just what you need when you need it. Everyone on the list understands
                    that so feel free to ask away!

                    --- Grandma Kay ---
                  • Eb Guenther
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                      Hi Lotta,
                      your message:
                      >... I find it usefull to be able to convert just the language specific
                      >ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to read a doc where
                      >there is lots of enteties.

                      I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                      web display?

                      Are you confusing
                      1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                      with
                      2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                      Notice what happens when changing "<©ÅÄ Ö>&":

                      1: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"
                      2: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"

                      I use a simple clip to convert to ISO codes, and a more complex
                      one to convert back (finding ISO codes, so I don't "strip" html
                      tags from the document):

                      H="to ISO"
                      ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+H

                      H="from ISO"
                      ;reverts ALL ISO code to the underlying character.
                      :Loop
                      ^!Find "&[a-zA-Z]*;" TWHRS
                      ^!IfError Exit
                      ^!Keyboard SHIFT+CTRL+T
                      ^!Goto Loop

                      BUGS:
                      o The clip above will FIND "&abc;", but IF that
                      is not a legitimate ISO code, it cannot convert
                      it, and keeps finding it again: endless loop!
                      o The clip WILL convert codes like ">", so if
                      there is some embedded html display, it WILL
                      get converted, and MESS UP the web page.

                      Correcting these bugs would make this clip a _lot_
                      more complex.

                      Cheers,

                      Eb
                    • Lotta
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                        Eb,

                        you wrote:
                        >I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                        >web display

                        Well, sometimes it's not necessary to convert all and sometimes you want to
                        use others enteties than ISO...

                        >Are you confusing
                        >1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                        >with
                        >2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                        Nope, that one I'm clear about. It's just a fact that when your ido
                        comtains a lot of 'corious' carachters it's very handy to be able to turn
                        just those on and of. God help people in the east. Have searched for that a
                        long time - and now I've got it!

                        By the way, snatched your clip and will check it out.
                        Thanks
                        Lotta
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 11, 2000
                          Hi Lotta,

                          > ...it's very handy to be able to turn just those on and of. God
                          > help people in the east. Have searched for that a long time -
                          > and now I've got it!

                          You can also use the H option in Replace that will check to see
                          if there is a selection and apply the S&R criteria to it.