Re: [Clip] Text selection boundaries

  • Don
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
      I use getrow and getcol and then select or maybe jump select start and
      repeat and store in variables as I recall ... not an easy way that I
      know of, but there is a simple and effective way.

      On 2/4/2013 8:19 AM, Jean-François Colas wrote:
      > Hello list,
      >
      > Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
      > coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
      > of a selection?
      >
      > Thaks,
      > J.-F.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
        On 2/4/2013 8:19 AM, Jean-François Colas wrote:
        > Hello list,
        >
        > Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
        > coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
        > of a selection?
        >
        > Thaks,
        > J.-F.

        Fascinating! If you find the cursor blinks after the last character of
        the selection on my screen, but if you use getrow and getcol it marks
        the first character of the selection (not where the cursor is blinking).
        I then jump selection end and capture it.

        There are several other ways I can think of to do this, but this worked
        just fine:
        ^!SetDebug On
        ^!SetWordWrap Off
        ;FILL IN YOUR OWN SEARCH TERM
        ^!Find "SEARCH TERM" CIWS
        ^!Set %selection_start_row%="^$GetRow$"
        ^!Set %selection_start_col%="^$GetCol$"
        ^!Jump Select_End
        ^!Set %selection_end_row%="^$GetRow$"
        ^!Set %selection_end_col%="^$GetCol$"
        ;LONG LINE FOLLOWS
        ^!Info [C]Selection Start (row:col):
        ^%selection_start_row%:^%selection_start_col%^PSelection Stop (row:col):
        ^%selection_end_row%:^%selection_end_col%
        ;END OF LONG LINE
        ^!SelectTo ^%selection_start_row%:^%selection_start_col%
      • Jean-François Colas
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
          Le 04/02/2013 17:14, Don a écrit :
          > On 2/4/2013 8:19 AM, Jean-François Colas wrote:
          >> Hello list,
          >>
          >> Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
          >> coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
          >> of a selection?
          >>
          >> Thaks,
          >> J.-F.
          >
          > Fascinating! If you find the cursor blinks after the last character of
          > the selection on my screen, but if you use getrow and getcol it marks
          > the first character of the selection (not where the cursor is blinking).
          > I then jump selection end and capture it.

          Thanks, fine! My impaired vision can't actually let me see the cursor
          blinking when selecting text. But it seems to work the same in whichever
          direction we select. Cool.

          J.-F.
        • joy8388608
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jean-François Colas wrote:

            > Hello list,
            >
            > Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
            > coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
            > of a selection?
            >
            > Thaks,
            > J.-F.

            Are these functions what you are looking for?

            ^!Prompt Getrowstart is ^$GetRowStart$ and getrowend is ^$GetRowEnd$ ^%NL%Getcolstart is ^$GetColStart$ and getcolend is ^$GetColEnd$

            Joy