Text selection boundaries

  • Jean-François Colas
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
      Hello list,

      Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
      coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
      of a selection?

      Thaks,
      J.-F.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
        I use getrow and getcol and then select or maybe jump select start and
        repeat and store in variables as I recall ... not an easy way that I
        know of, but there is a simple and effective way.

        On 2/4/2013 8:19 AM, Jean-François Colas wrote:
        > Hello list,
        >
        > Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
        > coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
        > of a selection?
        >
        > Thaks,
        > J.-F.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
          On 2/4/2013 8:19 AM, Jean-François Colas wrote:
          > Hello list,
          >
          > Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
          > coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
          > of a selection?
          >
          > Thaks,
          > J.-F.

          Fascinating! If you find the cursor blinks after the last character of
          the selection on my screen, but if you use getrow and getcol it marks
          the first character of the selection (not where the cursor is blinking).
          I then jump selection end and capture it.

          There are several other ways I can think of to do this, but this worked
          just fine:
          ^!SetDebug On
          ^!SetWordWrap Off
          ;FILL IN YOUR OWN SEARCH TERM
          ^!Find "SEARCH TERM" CIWS
          ^!Set %selection_start_row%="^$GetRow$"
          ^!Set %selection_start_col%="^$GetCol$"
          ^!Jump Select_End
          ^!Set %selection_end_row%="^$GetRow$"
          ^!Set %selection_end_col%="^$GetCol$"
          ;LONG LINE FOLLOWS
          ^!Info [C]Selection Start (row:col):
          ^%selection_start_row%:^%selection_start_col%^PSelection Stop (row:col):
          ^%selection_end_row%:^%selection_end_col%
          ;END OF LONG LINE
          ^!SelectTo ^%selection_start_row%:^%selection_start_col%
        • Jean-François Colas
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
            Le 04/02/2013 17:14, Don a écrit :
            > On 2/4/2013 8:19 AM, Jean-François Colas wrote:
            >> Hello list,
            >>
            >> Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
            >> coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
            >> of a selection?
            >>
            >> Thaks,
            >> J.-F.
            >
            > Fascinating! If you find the cursor blinks after the last character of
            > the selection on my screen, but if you use getrow and getcol it marks
            > the first character of the selection (not where the cursor is blinking).
            > I then jump selection end and capture it.

            Thanks, fine! My impaired vision can't actually let me see the cursor
            blinking when selecting text. But it seems to work the same in whichever
            direction we select. Cool.

            J.-F.
          • joy8388608
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jean-François Colas wrote:

              > Hello list,
              >
              > Maybe I missed something obvious... Is there any way to determine the
              > coordinates (at least the row number) of the starting and ending points
              > of a selection?
              >
              > Thaks,
              > J.-F.

              Are these functions what you are looking for?

              ^!Prompt Getrowstart is ^$GetRowStart$ and getrowend is ^$GetRowEnd$ ^%NL%Getcolstart is ^$GetColStart$ and getcolend is ^$GetColEnd$

              Joy