RE: [Clip] Re: ow to work eith date?

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
      Now, that is really helpful. How about some before and after, actual data to give some idea of what you are trying to
      accomplish? If you want help, you should at least be able to explain what you want help for. How many users of NoteTab
      would you expect to be familiar with the Unix date mechanism and understand your request at the same time? Your example
      data from the first question doesn't even have the same digit count � which is why no one understands it.

      For mathematical functions on calendars, it is common to convert to and from the Julian calendar, which is based on an
      overall count of days from a given start point, not man's choice of years/months/days, etc. In that case, you would be
      looking for conversion routines from Gregorian calendar to Julian calendar, perform some math, and then convert back.

      Julian
      A type of calendar numbering system that does not use months or years as the foundation for advancement. Each day since
      the beginning of time is assigned a number and increments by one each day thereafter. In most computerized accounting
      systems, a current date is converted to Julian to track the number of days between dates. It is used in the calculations
      of late charges, and similar circumstances. You can use our Julian calculator if you would like to try that. Click here
      to see our menu of Calculators, Converters and Tables.
      http://www.csgnetwork.com/juliandaydate.html

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
        Hy John,

        Sorry for my Bostonian accent...

        I suppose that the Julian date will be usable.

        I want to control a NTP code, depending in a number of days. Let's
        say, the NTP do some things and for example 26 days later do other
        thinks.

        Therefore, a number beginning in a fixed day will be perfect, will be
        necessary only to sum 26 to the fixed day, etc.

        I do not need any code regarding this procedure in the NTP, the main
        point is how to get the Julian day (number) to work in our NTP code.

        Thanks again.

        Carlos.
        ============

        On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:
        > Now, that is really helpful. How about some before and after, actual data to give some idea of what you are trying to
        > accomplish? If you want help, you should at least be able to explain what you want help for. How many users of NoteTab
        > would you expect to be familiar with the Unix date mechanism and understand your request at the same time? Your example
        > data from the first question doesn't even have the same digit count – which is why no one understands it.
        >
        > For mathematical functions on calendars, it is common to convert to and from the Julian calendar, which is based on an
        > overall count of days from a given start point, not man's choice of years/months/days, etc. In that case, you would be
        > looking for conversion routines from Gregorian calendar to Julian calendar, perform some math, and then convert back.
        >
        > Julian
        > A type of calendar numbering system that does not use months or years as the foundation for advancement. Each day since
        > the beginning of time is assigned a number and increments by one each day thereafter. In most computerized accounting
        > systems, a current date is converted to Julian to track the number of days between dates. It is used in the calculations
        > of late charges, and similar circumstances. You can use our Julian calculator if you would like to try that. Click here
        > to see our menu of Calculators, Converters and Tables.
        > http://www.csgnetwork.com/juliandaydate.html
        >
        > Regards,
        > John

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
          Carlos,
          Here are the formulas. Someone may take this as a project to convert to/from Julian date using NoteTab's math functions.
          Doable, but it takes someone more familiar with NoteTab math functions than I.
          http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/JD_Formula.php

          There may be online calculators that would return a value to NoteTab, provided you can find such a calculator and format
          your data in the necessary way.

          I suppose that the Julian date will be usable.

          I want to control a NTP code, depending in a number of days. Let's
          say, the NTP do some things and for example 26 days later do other
          thinks.

          Therefore, a number beginning in a fixed day will be perfect, will be
          necessary only to sum 26 to the fixed day, etc.

          I do not need any code regarding this procedure in the NTP, the main
          point is how to get the Julian day (number) to work in our NTP code.

          Thanks again.

          Carlos.
          ============

          On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:
          > Now, that is really helpful. How about some before and after, actual data to give some idea of what you are trying to
          > accomplish? If you want help, you should at least be able to explain what you want help for. How many users of NoteTab
          > would you expect to be familiar with the Unix date mechanism and understand your request at the same time? Your
          example
          > data from the first question doesn't even have the same digit count – which is why no one understands it.
          >
          > For mathematical functions on calendars, it is common to convert to and from the Julian calendar, which is based on an
          > overall count of days from a given start point, not man's choice of years/months/days, etc. In that case, you would be
          > looking for conversion routines from Gregorian calendar to Julian calendar, perform some math, and then convert back.
          >
          > Julian
          > A type of calendar numbering system that does not use months or years as the foundation for advancement. Each day
          since
          > the beginning of time is assigned a number and increments by one each day thereafter. In most computerized accounting
          > systems, a current date is converted to Julian to track the number of days between dates. It is used in the
          calculations
          > of late charges, and similar circumstances. You can use our Julian calculator if you would like to try that. Click
          here
          > to see our menu of Calculators, Converters and Tables.
          > http://www.csgnetwork.com/juliandaydate.html
          >
          > Regards,
          > John

        • john041650
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
            I still don't quite understand what you're trying to do but here's a simple clip that demonstrates one way you can use dates.

            john

            ^!Set %InDate%=^?{(M="00/00/0000;1;*")Enter Date (mm/dd/yyyy)}

            ^!Set %X%=^$GetDateToInt(^%InDate%;mm/dd/yyyy)$

            ^!set %Y%=^$Calc(^%X%+26)$

            ^!Info The integer value of ^%InDate% is: ^%X%^P^P^%X% + 26 days = ^%Y% = ^$GetDateFromInt(^%Y%;mm/dd/yyyy)$

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, abet backup wrote:

            > Hy John,
            >
            > Sorry for my Bostonian accent...
            >
            > I suppose that the Julian date will be usable.
            >
            > I want to control a NTP code, depending in a number of days. Let's
            > say, the NTP do some things and for example 26 days later do other
            > thinks.
            >
            > Therefore, a number beginning in a fixed day will be perfect, will be
            > necessary only to sum 26 to the fixed day, etc.
            >
            > I do not need any code regarding this procedure in the NTP, the main
            > point is how to get the Julian day (number) to work in our NTP code.
            >
            > Thanks again.
            >
            > Carlos.
            > ============
            >

            > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
            > > Now, that is really helpful. How about some before and after, actual data to give some idea of what you are trying to
            > > accomplish? If you want help, you should at least be able to explain what you want help for. How many users of NoteTab
            > > would you expect to be familiar with the Unix date mechanism and understand your request at the same time? Your example
            > > data from the first question doesn't even have the same digit count – which is why no one understands it.
            > >
            > > For mathematical functions on calendars, it is common to convert to and from the Julian calendar, which is based on an
            > > overall count of days from a given start point, not man's choice of years/months/days, etc. In that case, you would be
            > > looking for conversion routines from Gregorian calendar to Julian calendar, perform some math, and then convert back.
            > >
            > > Julian
            > > A type of calendar numbering system that does not use months or years as the foundation for advancement. Each day since
            > > the beginning of time is assigned a number and increments by one each day thereafter. In most computerized accounting
            > > systems, a current date is converted to Julian to track the number of days between dates. It is used in the calculations
            > > of late charges, and similar circumstances. You can use our Julian calculator if you would like to try that. Click here
            > > to see our menu of Calculators, Converters and Tables.
            > > http://www.csgnetwork.com/juliandaydate.html
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > John
            > > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

          • abet backup
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
              Hi John,

              I have had a syntax error.

              I believe that I do not have the $GetDataToInt, my NTP are 5.4.

              This is true? If yes, I will change.

              Thanks!

              Carlos.

            • john041650
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
                Ah..Yes, you would need version 5.7 or newer for my clip to work.

                I forget how I used to do the date processing in older versions but I remember it was a much more complicated process.

                You might consider upgrading?

                john

                (For some reason yahoo seems to be having a bad hair day today, it's giving me a lot of error messages when I try to post, this is my second attempt).

              • abet backup
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
                  John,

                  I am always afraid to upgrades. In Windows, for example, in more than 10
                  years I used the XP until to now (the XP, in the begin, have had 200.000
                  bugs, but now are very stable).

                  In any upgrades, the most important must be to run any former codes without
                  any problem. The problems (if any) must be in the new codes ONLY.
                  Unfortunately this is not true with Windows, as an example..

                  The NTP 7, as you know, have had some problems. My question is:

                  It is possible to run my 5.4 scripts using the 7, without any problems?

                  Thanks!

                  Carlos

                  ===============

                • john041650
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
                    That depends on your scripts. There have been some changes, I believe most changes that could affect clips were changes that use regular expressions.

                    john

                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
                      With NoteTab updates come bug fixes and new features. I've used NoteTab, starting with 4.95, from XP through Win 7 and
                      now Win 8. It works FINE, but I do NOT install in Microsoft's default location of C:\Program Files, BECAUSE Microsoft
                      has changed the behavior of that folder to make it read only for all applications starting with Vista. Supposedly, that
                      was to prevent virus issues, but in reality all it did was screw everyone that has any older programs to run. I created
                      a C:\Programs folder, where I install EVERYTHING that is not explicitly designed for Windows Vista/7/8, and even some of
                      those, such as NoteTab.

                      You are FAR better off getting the newest version of NoteTab, because some of those bug fixes exist in the PCRE Regular
                      Expression engine - including some bugs that 'got me' in the past. I think your 5.4 scripts will work fine in NTP v7,
                      but of course, you would want to test before committing to 'real' work. My switch to Windows 8 was seamless. It just
                      worked.