[Clip] characters

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
      Hi,
      Here's me again being stupid. I'm trying to learn clip syntax but 'fraid
      I'm very slow...
      I'm trying to write a clip that shall replace scandinavian characters with
      their html enteties. Since enteties begin with "&" and "&" also has a
      special meaning in the clip language it flops. How to handle it?

      Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!

      Lotta
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
        Hi Lotta,

        > Here's me again being stupid.

        I would say something about, uh, nevermind. <g>

        > I'm trying to learn clip syntax

        Keep on keep'n on!

        > I'm trying to write a clip that shall replace scandinavian
        > characters with their html enteties. Since enteties begin with
        > "&" and "&" also has a special meaning in the clip language it
        > flops.

        There should not be a conflict with what I think you are speaking
        of (although there may be depending on how you are using it).
        The Clip code is actually "^&" w/o the quotes.

        So, your Clip might be:

        ^!Replace "Á" "Á" WAS
        ^!Replace "á" "á" WAS
        ^!Replace "À" "À" WAS
        ^!Replace "à" "à" WAS

        I hope that goes through the mail OK.

        There are more complicated ways of writing it, but I think for
        you learning right now this is better. Although you can probably
        figure out Eric's Web Form convertor in Utilities. It uses
        ^$StrReplace instead of ^!Replace - the end result is the same.

        > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!

        Nope, keep on keep'n on! As long as I see somebody trying I will
        go the extra mile for them.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Clip List...
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000

          >There should not be a conflict with what I think you are speaking
          >of (although there may be depending on how you are using it).
          >The Clip code is actually "^&"

          I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the Clip Assistant
          and that one works fine. Mine looks exactly the same but all I get is an
          error message. Since they look alike but aren't alike I'm suspecting the
          spaces. Could it be you have to make them with the tabulator (hope that is
          what the key is called!)?

          Here is what I have written (swedish character substituted with "x"):

          ^!Replace x ä ATW

          > > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!
          >
          >Nope, keep on keep'n on! As long as I see somebody trying I will
          >go the extra mile for them.

          Thank you, I'm very gratefull.

          Lotta
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
            Hi Lotta,

            > I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the
            > Clip Assistant and that one works fine.

            Huh?

            > Mine looks exactly the same but all I get is an error message.
            > Since they look alike but aren't alike I'm suspecting the
            > spaces. Could it be you have to make them with the tabulator
            > (hope that is what the key is called!)?
            >
            > Here is what I have written (swedish character substituted
            with
            > "x"):

            ^!Replace x  &auml;  ATW

            It appears you have two spaces, no arrows, and no quotes.  Try this
            format:

            ^!Replace "x" >> "&auml;" ATW

            I'm sorry about my last post.  I forgot the >> in between the
            "find" and "replace with."  You are correct with the T option.
            (S just turns off the messages.)

            ^!Replace "Á" >> "&Aacute;" SWAT
            ^!Replace "á" >> "&aacute;" TWAS (the night before Christmas:)

            Can somebody using Eudora 4.02 write me *private eMail* and tell
            me how to get rid of the quote bar when I hit reply.  I just
            installed the upgrade and can't figure it out.  I want my arrows
            back!!!  Thanks: mailto:KJB1611@...

            c ya,
            Jody

            The whole world doth err save you
            and me and even thou doest err some!

            http://www.sureword.com/mm
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
              At 06:30 2000-01-09 , you wrote:
              >Hi Lotta,
              >
              > > I sort of gathered that finally. Made the same clip with the
              > > Clip Assistant and that one works fine.
              >
              >Huh?
              Meaning I did a clip using the Clip Assistent (Specific Commands/Replace)
              and that one looked identical to the one I had written with my own little
              fingers. No quotes, no ">>" , just spaces. But the Assistants worked, mine
              did not.

              But I think I have got it now. Just want to check.
              Use either ">>" or "tab" to separate parameters. Just hitting the space bar
              will not do the trick. Right?
              Like this
              (^!Replace("spacebar")X("tab")å("tab")ATW

              Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced are actually
              different).

              ^!Replace å å ATW
              ^!Replace Å Å ATW
              ^!Replace ä ä ATW
              ^!Replace Ä Ä ATW
              ^!Replace ö ö ATW
              ^!Replace Ö Ö ATW

              Lotta
              happy parent of first little "program"
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
                Hi Lotta,

                > Did this and it seems to work (all characters to be replaced
                > are actually different).

                > ^!Replace å
                &aring;         ATW
                > ^!Replace Å
                &Aring;         ATW

                > happy parent of first little "program"

                Yes, the space, tab, tab is an accepted format.  It caused so
                much trouble though when passing clips in eMail because of the
                tabs being converted to spaces that Eric added the format you see
                used most the time on the list.

                Congratulations on your first Clip. :)

                Nite...

                The NoteTab Clip List...
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 8, 2000
                  Tavk så hemskt mycket! |-D
                  (=Thank you very much)
                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
                    Hi Kay and Eb,

                    Kay wrote:
                    >The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
                    >help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
                    >got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
                    >requests :)

                    That's comforting.

                    > feel free to ask away!

                    OK, I will. I find this clip programming so fun and exciting I probably
                    couldn't restrict myself anyway...

                    Eb wrote:
                    "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                    I use that one too. But I find it usefull to be able to convert just the
                    language specific ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to
                    read a doc where there is lots of enteties. Swedish has three extra vocals,
                    all enteties of cource.

                    Just want to say that next to NTP itself I find this list the most usefull
                    thing yet. And it's a nice and friendly place to be, too.
                    The problem with help files, I think, is that you have to know a little to
                    be able to understand them. In this case, if you don't know what a
                    command, event or loop is you are stuck. And in most cases there is no one
                    to ask...This is probably the main reason
                    people use only a fragment of the capacity of their programmes.

                    Here's to you all!

                    Lotta
                  • Kay Roath
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 9, 2000
                      01/08/2000 6:05 PM Lotta wrote
                      > Please, tell me if I'm asking to many questions here!

                      Hi Lotta -
                      The whole point of the list is for people to ask questions & get
                      help. We all started where you are but those who were here earlier
                      got to learn in stages as the clip language expanded based on user
                      requests :)

                      You'll find the list is very 'gentle' with lots of people willing
                      to help. It's never been one of those lists where people answer
                      new users with stuff like 'read the documentation', although we
                      might direct you to certain areas of the Help file to avoid having
                      to retype stuff that's there :) There's so much, it's hard to find
                      just what you need when you need it. Everyone on the list understands
                      that so feel free to ask away!

                      --- Grandma Kay ---
                    • Eb Guenther
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                        Hi Lotta,
                        your message:
                        >... I find it usefull to be able to convert just the language specific
                        >ones. Especially to toggle them on and off. It's hard to read a doc where
                        >there is lots of enteties.

                        I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                        web display?

                        Are you confusing
                        1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                        with
                        2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                        Notice what happens when changing "<©ÅÄ Ö>&":

                        1: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"
                        2: "<©ÅÄ Ö>&"

                        I use a simple clip to convert to ISO codes, and a more complex
                        one to convert back (finding ISO codes, so I don't "strip" html
                        tags from the document):

                        H="to ISO"
                        ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+H

                        H="from ISO"
                        ;reverts ALL ISO code to the underlying character.
                        :Loop
                        ^!Find "&[a-zA-Z]*;" TWHRS
                        ^!IfError Exit
                        ^!Keyboard SHIFT+CTRL+T
                        ^!Goto Loop

                        BUGS:
                        o The clip above will FIND "&abc;", but IF that
                        is not a legitimate ISO code, it cannot convert
                        it, and keeps finding it again: endless loop!
                        o The clip WILL convert codes like ">", so if
                        there is some embedded html display, it WILL
                        get converted, and MESS UP the web page.

                        Correcting these bugs would make this clip a _lot_
                        more complex.

                        Cheers,

                        Eb
                      • Lotta
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 10, 2000
                          Eb,

                          you wrote:
                          >I hear you, but which characters do you *not* want to translate for
                          >web display

                          Well, sometimes it's not necessary to convert all and sometimes you want to
                          use others enteties than ISO...

                          >Are you confusing
                          >1: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->Extended Characters"
                          >with
                          >2: "Modify-->Characters to HTML-->All special characters"?

                          Nope, that one I'm clear about. It's just a fact that when your ido
                          comtains a lot of 'corious' carachters it's very handy to be able to turn
                          just those on and of. God help people in the east. Have searched for that a
                          long time - and now I've got it!

                          By the way, snatched your clip and will check it out.
                          Thanks
                          Lotta
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 11, 2000
                            Hi Lotta,

                            > ...it's very handy to be able to turn just those on and of. God
                            > help people in the east. Have searched for that a long time -
                            > and now I've got it!

                            You can also use the H option in Replace that will check to see
                            if there is a selection and apply the S&R criteria to it.