RE: [Clip] Code page/character issues

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
      One last bit of information about this problem:
      When the file has been moved or renamed, it displays correctly in NoteTab, although it doesn't display the accents. It
      displays standard English characters. However, when this same file is viewed in EditPad Pro, the original accents are
      still present. It is only the DISPLAY that is different between these two instances. So, in one case NoteTab displays
      one way, and in the other case a different way.

      From what I've read about code page detection, there are commands that search through a document and report on
      characters found. I still have no idea why moving or renaming a file provides different results to NoteTab. But it is
      apparently something about this search or the decision about how to display that is not working correctly.

      In my research, I found this fascinating tale of the history and basis of characters on computers:
      http://www.joelonsoftware.com/printerFriendly/articles/Unicode.html

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
        What would happen if you saved it as a .html file instead of .txt file?

        Well, if it was mainstream, I wouldn't have brought it up here. At first, I thought maybe FireFox wasn't properly closing the file,
        which is why I rebooted between, but that didn't help. I've inspected properties, but that didn't show anything different between
        the before and after. The byte count doesn't change. But somehow, NoteTab is seeing 'something' that I can't find, which is why I
        asked here. I'll see if I can find a more robust file metadata analyzer.
        FYI – EditPad Pro opens it fine, but it is also a Unicode editor, and I often use it to see what is 'really' in a text file.

        Now for the even weirder part: EditPad Pro DOES display it correctly in text view, but in hex/Ascii view, it shows the same thing as
        NoteTab!
        Text View: Speka Piragi
        Hex/Ascii View: Speķa Pīrāgi

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > Text View: Speka Piragi
          > Hex/Ascii View: Speķa Pīrāgi
          > NoteTab correctly detects it as utf-8. But when I force it to
          > Windows 1252, it displays as in NoteTab – incorrectly.

          It has to, those characters are not in CP1252. Converting your sample
          and assuming mail transfer has not broken anything I get:

          Speķa Pīrāgi

          These are from the "extended block A"
          http://www.sql-und-xml.de/unicode-database/latin-extended-a.html

          NoteTab will never be able to deal with them satisfactorily. What I
          don't get at all is how Win7 interferes with them, but then I have so
          far refrained from using eXPerimental and stick to Win98. Even that
          tries to interfere and impose its preferences over mine, but there I can
          more or less control it. Your identical byte count might result from
          using UTF-16, don't newer Windoses do that? If so the byte count should
          be twice the letter count.

          > But, since EditPad Pro detects it correctly, I
          > don't think it's Windows.

          If editpad is true UTF, as you say, then it need not detect anything.
          Notetab is stricly 8-bit and strictly codepage based, all it can do is
          read letters from inside that single chosen codepage when encoded as
          UTF-8. Letters from more than one codepage inside the same document will
          never work.

          Axel
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
            EditPad Pro is a Unicode editor, so yes, it displays Unicode and utf-8 and many other code pages correctly. But that
            file is not Unicode, it is 8-bit UTF. When one of these files is moved, NoteTab not only displays it correctly, but it
            also saves it correctly, that is, without the accents. So, that is the workaround for now. What is not acceptable is the
            file as first opened, which does not result in a question mark or any valid character in any code page. It is just
            garbage. Previously, NoteTab displayed a question mark for any character out of its map. Now, it doesn't.

            But that's not actually the point anyway. The file is UTF-8 when it is written, and after it is copied. Nothing is
            different about the file except that there is a copy in another location. The copy displays correctly in NoteTab, but
            the original doesn't. The copy works with my clip library, the original doesn't. If I export the original in NoteTab to
            UTF-8 it displays correctly, but of course just copying it works, as does renaming it, so I can't say the export
            actually does anything. However, if I export it to Ascii, question marks show up for those characters, as expected. The
            clip library can't work with a bunch of question marks either, of course, as there is no way to guess what the missing
            character is except through a very, very complex word map which replaces question marks with characters if the word is
            otherwise recognized. So, for the words you correctly detected below, I would simply substitute the unaccented
            characters for accented ones and that would be fine. But I can't do that with the original, because it displays EXTRA
            characters, as indicated in my 'Hex/Ascii' view below.

            So, for now, my instructions will include moving the FireFox-exported file to a work folder, and we'll go with that as
            long as it continues to work. As to the problem, I will leave it in the category of unresolvable.

            > NoteTab correctly detects it as utf-8. But when I force it to
            > Windows 1252, it displays as in NoteTab � incorrectly.

            It has to, those characters are not in CP1252. Converting your sample
            and assuming mail transfer has not broken anything I get:

            Speka Piragi

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
              John Shotsky wrote:
              > But that file is not Unicode, it is 8-bit UTF.

              To my understanding UTF-8 as a specific encoding is a subset, or rather
              one of several possible versions, of Unicode.

              > When one of these files is moved, NoteTab not only displays it
              > correctly, but it also saves it correctly, that is, without the
              > accents.

              Sorry, but if those letters do have accents, then anything without is
              INcorrect. It may be an acceptable workaround, like Muller or Mueller
              instead of Müller, but never correct.

              > So, that is the workaround for now.

              Right

              > But that's not actually the point anyway.

              Agreed. Win7 does something strange here and I'm very happy I need not
              concern myself with that.

              > As to the problem, I will leave it in the category of unresolvable.

              Probably best.