CCleaner Reports Registry Issue

  • nullclip
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2012
      CCleaner reports Unused File Extension .clb HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.clb

      I get no other similar reports about other file extension associations.

      Why?
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2012
        On 12/24/2012 5:48 AM, nullclip wrote:> CCleaner reports Unused File
        Extension .clb
        HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.clb

        > I get no other similar reports about other file extension associations.
        >
        > Why?

        null,

        I run Ccleaner quite often and don't have the response you do.

        Have you accessed 'View > Options > Associations' and added 'clb' as an
        associated extension?

        ¤• JD#...359 - ¤• SL...1264 - 12.12.24~18.36.11

        • Strip Mining Prevents Forest Fires.

        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2012
          nullclip wrote:
          > I get no other similar reports about other file extension associations.

          As far as I know all it means you've never told Windows what to do, when
          you double-click on a *.clb. As that's not what you want to do anyway it
          doesn't mean anything, Windows doesn't need to know what .clb is, only
          NoteTab does, and Notetab knows.

          Axel
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2012
            At 12-24-2012 13:48 +0000, nullclip wrote:
            >CCleaner reports Unused File Extension.clb
            >HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.clb
            >
            >I get no other similar reports about other file extension associations.
            >
            >Why?

            File extension keys appearing under HKCU\...\Explorer\FileExts\ are file
            associations defined by & for separate user accounts. They over ride the global
            definitions under HCR or are unique to the current user. At sometime in the
            history of your computer someone explicitly caused that entry to be made.
            It is unnecessary and actually a bit erroneous since, left as a file association, NoteTab would open any such file as a text file, not as a clip library.

            You can safely delete the entry.

            Namaste', Art
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 27, 2012
              Art Kocsis wrote:
              > left as a file association, NoteTab would open any such file as
              > a text file, not as a clip library.

              I don't see the problem. If I <F4> in Totalcommander, "open with
              NoteTab", the file is opened as a text. Nevertheless all .clb in my
              library folder are offered in the libraries bar. I'm not going to mess
              with my registry to test further, mostly because in my OS version these
              enties are incompatible anyway.

              Axel
            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 27, 2012
                At 12-27-2012 10:51 +0100, you wrote:
                >Art Kocsis wrote:
                >> left as a file association, NoteTab would open any such file as
                >> a text file, not as a clip library.
                >
                >I don't see the problem. If I <F4> in Totalcommander, "open with
                >NoteTab", the file is opened as a text. Nevertheless all .clb in my
                >library folder are offered in the libraries bar. I'm not going to mess
                >with my registry to test further, mostly because in my OS version these
                >enties are incompatible anyway.

                Whoa. Don't get excited. I didn't say it was a problem. There are times one WANTS to open a clip library as a test file.

                All I was doing was describing the behavior of some key/value settings in the registry and, in particular, the purpose of the \Explorer\FileExts\ key.

                Namaste', Art