Re: [Clip] Re: Clip to execute file at cursor

    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 14, 2012
      david335577 wrote:
      > That is the craziness I was trying to avoid,

      I agree, I wouldn't even attempt something like athta as a last resort,
      but only after the last resort too has failed me.

      I still don't understand why SelectTo is so primitive. Both Select and
      Jump allow dozens of help- and powerful keywords, only this one is
      restricted to row:col numbering.

      Axel
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 15, 2012
        Hi
        this works in 4.6 nts
        H="mp3"
        ^!shell "G:\VA - Sensation Black\13 Evil Activities vs Neophyte - Rocking
        With The Best(Black Amsterdam 2008).mp3"
        runs default mp3 player
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 15, 2012
          Axel Berger: My version is in my first post.
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 15, 2012
            david335577 wrote:
            > Axel Berger: My version is in my first post.

            And now I remember having seen it:
            > I have Notetab Pro 4.91/np (Full version) and cannot upgrade

            I empathize with you, I tend to being very upgrade averse myself, just
            kook at my OS. On the other hand the most active NT-users, those who
            give the bulk of the advice here, tend to keep up and have the current
            versions. I only began with version 5 and the older timers will all be
            forgetting previous particulars by now. So if you want help and advice
            here, your best bet is to grit your teeth and do all the edits necessary
            to adapt your old and proven clips to version 7. I accept it's a bore,
            but it'll help in the long run.

            Axel
          • david335577
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 16, 2012
              Axel, May I assume, then, that you are willing to make the latest version work for me? The issue, as I vaguely recall, has to do with the F8 command that opens the current page in the default browser. When I do Web development work, I need F8 to open the page not as an HTML file, but as a PHP file running on my local server (localhost). Apparently, my version can be coerced to do this, but a later version that I tried out years ago could not. I reported this to the NoteTab developer and he said it could not be fixed. Your task, if I am to upgrade as you think I should, is to help me by email write a Clip that does what I need for easy local Web development.
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 16, 2012
                david335577 wrote:
                I need F8 to open the page not as an HTML file,

                That is a general weakness of Notetab's. Keyboard shortcuts can run menu
                items but not clips. If only one single function affects you that way,
                you're lucky, for me there are quite a few I need to click in my clipbar
                and can't access through a key shortcut - although there always is the
                <Esc> clip selection.

                So many paople keep complaining about this, I'm sure it will get fixed
                some day. In the meantime you might look at Sheri's add-on program,
                whatever it was called, can't remember offhand.

                Axel
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 16, 2012
                  A simple clip will open the current NoteTab document in your web browser:
                  ^!Toolbar View In Browser
                  You need to save it first, if you intend to see your changes.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 16, 2012
                    Axel, I have no problem with such limitations, because I have the wonderful macro program Macro Express installed. I can make a hotkey do almost anything simple, like sending menu commands to NoteTab, in moments.

                    There is always a tradeoff between my programming time and how much time it saves me, which is why I haven't implemented a really complex but correct solution to either the F8 or the execute file/command problem. Ideally, the NoteTab support programmer should enjoy learning about use cases in various platforms and change NoteTab primitives to do things better (with options for back-compatibility). Perhaps NoteTab is old enough that its code is brittle and cannot easily be changed. Just speculating. Who knows?
                  • Eb
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 17, 2012
                      David,

                      By placing quotes around the execution line, it executes the associated app, regardless of embedded spaces or not:

                      ^!Select FILENAME
                      ^!Set %temp%=^$GetSelection$
                      ^!"^%temp%"

                      Tested on NTP 7.1, Windows 7.