Re: Clip to execute file at cursor

  • david335577
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 12, 2012
      Thank you, all, for your good ideas. The problem has not yet been solved, because it fails to open a file like this one, where the cursor is between the quotes:

      "C:\arjuna ardagh.mp3"

      The problem is that it is difficult to write clip code to select a quoted string containing spaces.

      The best I have so far is this:

      ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ = 0 ^!Select FILENAME
      ^!shell "^$GetSelection$"

      This will run a file that has no embedded spaces, and will also run a file with embedded spaces if one manually selects it first.
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 12, 2012
        david335577 wrote:
        > because it fails to open a file like this one, where the cursor
        > is between the quotes:
        > "C:\arjuna ardagh.mp3"

        If there always are quotes, try this:

        ^!If ^$GetSelSize$>3 auswahl
        ^!Menu Search/"Match Brackets"
        :auswahl
        ^!shell ^$GetSelection$

        Please include the quotes when selecting manually, I deleted them in the
        last line as double double quotes (""C:\arjuna ardagh.mp3"") would not
        yield the desired result.

        N.B: John, when you say "Just use double quotes around the whole
        path/file names" that's just what I meant by saying "exceptions and
        certain workarounds". It will mostly work but you can't rely on it for
        every batch file. Mine often do a lot of things and I might put extra
        effort into catering for spaces, but prefer not to have to.

        Axel
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 12, 2012
          These are operating system issues, however, not NoteTab issues. I don't consider things to be workarounds when, by
          definition, you must abide by the published rules to get the desired performance.

          > because it fails to open a file like this one, where the cursor
          > is between the quotes:
          > "C:\arjuna ardagh.mp3"

          If there always are quotes, try this:

          ^!If ^$GetSelSize$>3 auswahl
          ^!Menu Search/"Match Brackets"
          :auswahl
          ^!shell ^$GetSelection$

          Please include the quotes when selecting manually, I deleted them in the
          last line as double double quotes (""C:\arjuna ardagh.mp3"") would not
          yield the desired result.

          N.B: John, when you say "Just use double quotes around the whole
          path/file names" that's just what I meant by saying "exceptions and
          certain workarounds". It will mostly work but you can't rely on it for
          every batch file. Mine often do a lot of things and I might put extra
          effort into catering for spaces, but prefer not to have to.

        • loro
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 12, 2012
            david wrote:
            >The problem is that it is difficult to write clip code to select a
            >quoted string containing spaces.
            >
            >The best I have so far is this:
            >
            >^!If ^$GetSelSize$ = 0 ^!Select FILENAME
            >^!shell "^$GetSelection$"

            You could use ^Find to search backwards to find the first quote
            (provided the cursor is between the quotes). Store the location of it
            in a variable with ^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$ . Then find the next quote.
            Place the cursor after it (for example with ^!Jump select_end ). Then
            use ^!SelectTo to select from that position to the position of the
            first quote you stored in a variable.

            Lotta
          • david335577
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 14, 2012
              I got a "matching brackets not found" error for test case

              a "C:\arjuna ardagh.mp3" b

              with cursor after the first " .
            • david335577
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 14, 2012
                Lotta, That is the craziness I was trying to avoid, as I don't have time to do extensive work on this. I was hoping Clip was rich enough to get this sort of thing done more elegantly and simply.
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 14, 2012
                  david335577 wrote:
                  > I got a "matching brackets not found" error for test case

                  That surprises me. What is your version? With 7.01 I'm not currently
                  running the newest myself and there were recent chnages in this
                  function, I believe.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 14, 2012
                    david335577 wrote:
                    > That is the craziness I was trying to avoid,

                    I agree, I wouldn't even attempt something like athta as a last resort,
                    but only after the last resort too has failed me.

                    I still don't understand why SelectTo is so primitive. Both Select and
                    Jump allow dozens of help- and powerful keywords, only this one is
                    restricted to row:col numbering.

                    Axel
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 15, 2012
                      Hi
                      this works in 4.6 nts
                      H="mp3"
                      ^!shell "G:\VA - Sensation Black\13 Evil Activities vs Neophyte - Rocking
                      With The Best(Black Amsterdam 2008).mp3"
                      runs default mp3 player
                      THANKYOU DAVE M

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 15, 2012
                        Axel Berger: My version is in my first post.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 15, 2012
                          david335577 wrote:
                          > Axel Berger: My version is in my first post.

                          And now I remember having seen it:
                          > I have Notetab Pro 4.91/np (Full version) and cannot upgrade

                          I empathize with you, I tend to being very upgrade averse myself, just
                          kook at my OS. On the other hand the most active NT-users, those who
                          give the bulk of the advice here, tend to keep up and have the current
                          versions. I only began with version 5 and the older timers will all be
                          forgetting previous particulars by now. So if you want help and advice
                          here, your best bet is to grit your teeth and do all the edits necessary
                          to adapt your old and proven clips to version 7. I accept it's a bore,
                          but it'll help in the long run.

                          Axel
                        • david335577
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 16, 2012
                            Axel, May I assume, then, that you are willing to make the latest version work for me? The issue, as I vaguely recall, has to do with the F8 command that opens the current page in the default browser. When I do Web development work, I need F8 to open the page not as an HTML file, but as a PHP file running on my local server (localhost). Apparently, my version can be coerced to do this, but a later version that I tried out years ago could not. I reported this to the NoteTab developer and he said it could not be fixed. Your task, if I am to upgrade as you think I should, is to help me by email write a Clip that does what I need for easy local Web development.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 16, 2012
                              david335577 wrote:
                              I need F8 to open the page not as an HTML file,

                              That is a general weakness of Notetab's. Keyboard shortcuts can run menu
                              items but not clips. If only one single function affects you that way,
                              you're lucky, for me there are quite a few I need to click in my clipbar
                              and can't access through a key shortcut - although there always is the
                              <Esc> clip selection.

                              So many paople keep complaining about this, I'm sure it will get fixed
                              some day. In the meantime you might look at Sheri's add-on program,
                              whatever it was called, can't remember offhand.

                              Axel
                            • John Shotsky
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 16, 2012
                                A simple clip will open the current NoteTab document in your web browser:
                                ^!Toolbar View In Browser
                                You need to save it first, if you intend to see your changes.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 16, 2012
                                  Axel, I have no problem with such limitations, because I have the wonderful macro program Macro Express installed. I can make a hotkey do almost anything simple, like sending menu commands to NoteTab, in moments.

                                  There is always a tradeoff between my programming time and how much time it saves me, which is why I haven't implemented a really complex but correct solution to either the F8 or the execute file/command problem. Ideally, the NoteTab support programmer should enjoy learning about use cases in various platforms and change NoteTab primitives to do things better (with options for back-compatibility). Perhaps NoteTab is old enough that its code is brittle and cannot easily be changed. Just speculating. Who knows?
                                • Eb
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 17, 2012
                                    David,

                                    By placing quotes around the execution line, it executes the associated app, regardless of embedded spaces or not:

                                    ^!Select FILENAME
                                    ^!Set %temp%=^$GetSelection$
                                    ^!"^%temp%"

                                    Tested on NTP 7.1, Windows 7.