[Clip] Re: Clip to do alphabetic sort on open document t

  • Jonathan Woodbridge
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2000
      A few days ago I asked about pointers for a clip which would sort the tabs
      of open documents, to rearrange them in alphabetical order

      Charlie Raine replied with a nice clip which gives me an alphabetically
      sorted dialog/pick list of documents to focus. Thanks Charlie, it works
      well, but I wanted to sort the tabs so I can know where to find documents as
      I need them. I don't want to open a dialog every time I want to view another
      document.

      Ray Fitzgerald suggested using the Quick list to do the same thing. It's a
      nice idea, but I habitually use the Quick list to view disk files-mostly
      image files to drag into HTML files I'm editing.

      I still want to know whether it's possible to sort the document tabs, and I
      guess that the lack of suggestions of how to do this means that it can't be
      done. Yes?

      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2000
        Hi Jonathan & Eric,

        > I still want to know whether it's possible to sort the document
        > tabs, and I guess that the lack of suggestions of how to do
        > this means that it can't be done. Yes?

        It cannot be done by just clicking on a feature that says Sort
        Tabs. That would be a very nice feature though don't you think?
        I don't think it would have to be elaborate like in sort
        acsending/decsending, just a simple sort ascending should be all
        we need just to get it, but then again, sort by type would be
        nice.

        I have Clips that will allow you to open selected files in a
        directory (or a whole directory) that I could modify a little to
        open the files in order by name, type, date, size using
        ^$GetFileFirst$ if you would be interested in it. Of course once
        you add more files you would no longer have the ordering for the
        new.

        Please subscribe to the list or send the posts with what you
        subscribe under so I do not get your posts to allow. That is why
        you are getting the Moderated posts and have to wait for me to
        approve it before you see it on the list.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Clip List...
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
      • Kay Roath
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2000
          01/06/2000 9:57 PM Jonathan Woodbridge wrote
          > I still want to know whether it's possible to sort the document tabs, and I
          > guess that the lack of suggestions of how to do this means that it can't be
          > done. Yes?

          The tabs are a Windows thing & it really messes them up sometimes. I
          have 4 files that are always open and I want them always first but with
          tabs wrapped & more than one row, Windows changes their positions every
          time I edit a file. It's very aggrevating and makes finding the file
          you want very difficult! If you have the Quick List open, the easiest
          way to deal with the file tabs is to right click & switch between the
          Documents & Disk Files views. If you prefer the keyboard, Alt+T L D or F.
          & to select a document, Shift+F7 & first letter of file. Shift+F7 again
          to get back to document edit area.

          --- Grandma Kay ---