[Clip] Re: Finding matching parentheses

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012

      > > So I suppose it's about something like...
      > > \foreignlanguage{greek}{Axel{Berger}Odenthal}
      > > (...)
      > > I think a simple pattern like...
      > > ^!Find "\\foreignlanguage\{greek}\{(.+)}" RS1
      > > will suffice here.
      >
      > No, that'll find "Axel{Berger" in the example above, not
      > "Axel{Berger}Odenthal"

      How come? For me, it's perfectly matching the whole string 'Axel{Berger}Odenthal'. Please test it again.

      I don't have your complete data, so it's difficult to decide this -- but the only problem could possibly be the dot that might cause a lot of back tracking. So it might be more efficient to define the characters that occur between those brackets:

      ^!Find "\\foreignlanguage\{greek}\{([\w{}']+)}" RS1

      Regards,
      Flo
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012
        "flo.gehrke" wrote:
        > Please test it again.

        To be honest, I had not tested, just looked at it, and you're right. It
        works because you use the greedy find, something I almost never do as a
        mater of course. The simple reason:
        Have

        \foreignlanguage{greek}{Axel{Berger}Odenthal} some more waffle
        \foreignlanguage{greek}{Axel{Berger}Odenthal}

        without any hard line break and that search falls flat on its face.

        > I don't have your complete data, so it's difficult to decide this

        To use that clip at all I need it to cover a very general case. Once I
        begin using the foreignlanguage notation in my database in earnest and
        begin to rely on automatic HTML conversion, I've no idea what might crop
        up in there. The only thing I do know is, that nested curly braces are
        one of the most frequent TeX constructs of all.

        Axel
      • flo.gehrke
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012

          > "flo.gehrke" wrote:
          > > Please test it again.
          >
          > To be honest, I had not tested, just looked at it, and you're
          > right. (..) Have
          >
          > \foreignlanguage{greek}{Axel{Berger}Odenthal} some more waffle
          > \foreignlanguage{greek}{Axel{Berger}Odenthal}
          >
          > without any hard line break and that search falls flat on its face.

          That's why I said there could be a problem with the dot and made a second proposal. Would you mind testing this? Thanks.

          Flo

          P.S. It's always a problem to deal with an issue without having the data and all details. And it's even less fun if the conditions are changed with each message :-(
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2012
            "flo.gehrke" wrote:
            > And it's even less fun if the conditions are changed
            > with each message :-(

            Yes, I'm very sorry about that. I had /meant/ to make clear from the
            outset, that those {} may contain just about "anything" and still be a
            legal TeX constraint. Just about the only constraint is inner curly
            braces having to be paired and come in the right order.

            The example given was an extremely simple one. I already knew Match
            Brackets copes with anything thrown at it so did not need to try to trip
            it up. I only needed to make sure that my sequence of Find, Match,
            GetSelection worked as I wanted it to and for that a simple word
            sufficed. Your second Regex won't find

            \foreignlanguage{greek}{Axel {Berger} Odenthal}

            I just see, I had not stressed from the outset that a _general_ solution
            was needed. What I have is a database of books and articles and I
            automatically generate lists of references in LaTeX and HTML. TeX is the
            main format and NT translates to HTML. What I am working on right now is
            the best format for incorporating titles in non-latin script into that
            database.

            Danke