[Clip] Clip to do alphabetic sort on open document tabs?

  • Jonathan Woodbridge
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2000
      Has anyone invented a clip to sort the tabs of open documents to rearrange
      them in alphabetical order? I am resigned to having three layers of tabs of
      open documents most all the time, and if they were alphabetical, finding the
      one I want would be much easier!

      If it hasn't been done already, a pointer or two for commands and functions
      to use would be gratefully received.

      Jonathan
    • Charles M. Raine
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2000
        Hi Jonathan:

        At 03:13 PM 1/3/2000 -0500, you wrote:
        >Has anyone invented a clip to sort the tabs of open documents to rearrange
        >them in alphabetical order? I am resigned to having three layers of tabs of
        >open documents most all the time, and if they were alphabetical, finding
        >the one I want would be much easier!
        >
        >If it hasn't been done already, a pointer or two for commands and functions
        >to use would be gratefully received.

        Here is a clip which will do what you want:

        ---------< start clip >---------
        H="Focus Doc"
        ; Charles M. Raine < rainec@... >
        ; 01/03/2000, 04:20:22 PM

        ^!set %ix%=0
        ^!Set %namestr%=""
        :loop
        ^!inc %ix%
        ^!If ^%ix%>^$GetDocCount$ done
        ^!set %name%=^$GetFileName(^$GetDocName(^%ix%)$)$
        ^!Append %namestr%= ^%name%^=^%ix%|
        ^!Goto loop
        :done
        ^!Set %namestr%=^$StrSort("^$StrReplace("|";"^p";"^%namestr%";n;n)$";y;y;n)$
        ^!Set %namestr%=^$StrReplace("^p";"|";"^%namestr%";n;n)$
        ^!Set %seldoc%=^?{(H=20;T=A)Select document to focus==^%namestr%}
        ^!SetDocIndex ^%seldoc%
        ---------< end clip >-----------

        Charlie.

        Charles M. Raine Home Page: http://www.escape.ca/~rainec
        Phone (204) 895-0940 ICQ # 300058
        Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
      • Raymond Fitzgerald
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2000
          Hi Jonathan,

          >Has anyone invented a clip to sort the tabs of open documents to rearrange
          >them in alphabetical order? I am resigned to having three layers of tabs of
          >open documents most all the time, and if they were alphabetical, finding
          the
          >one I want would be much easier!

          It sounds like perhaps you haven't tried this yet?
          1. Right-click on a document tab and uncheck Stack Tabs.
          2. Open your Quick List (F6) and right-click in its main window.
          3. Select the Documents view.

          From Help:
          Documents
          Shows a sorted list of all open document names in the Quick List window.

          Cheers,
          Ray